Home U.S. Coin Forum

How many US Gold Coins are still held by European banks?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any way to know?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They tend to be a bit secretive about such things as what in particular and how many of them are in their vaults. I know I have had opportunities to buy gold $20's in Paris, but I thought at the time their markups were ridiculous at Banque Nationale Paribas.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting if an answer to this question was available.

To broaden the scope of the question, how about asking same for North American banks (Canada, USA, Mexico, Central American countries), South American Banks, African Banks, Middle Eastern Banks, Indian Banks, Asian Banks, Austrailian Banks, Antarctic Banksimage, Pacific Island Banks, Caribean Banks, etc.. Also, how about insurance companies, and other large corporate entities. Also, how about the world's Billionaires. Finally, how about the USA in Federal Reserve and Fort Knox vaults?

I suggest a comprehensive survey be done regarding US Gold coinage holdings since we Forumites have a right to knowimage
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    While I think that many European banks have numismatic departments which carry US gold coins as inventory, I doubt if any have numismatically valuable coins that have been sitting in their vaults since before the 1930s. US dealers have been buying coins in Europe since the 1950s and the banks have copies of the Red Book, so they know which coins are worth selling to dealers or putting into their own auctions.

As for US and Canadian banks, insurance companies, etc., I really doubt if they have any gold coins squirreled away in their vaults - although, again, some banks do carry gold coins as inventory.

Now, South American banks, on the other hand. . .

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• There was a bank in Tangiers in 1958 that was big on selling US gold coins. They wanted to store them for you. Then the bank announced it was moving to Panama and disappeared with all its clients money and gold holdings.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Then the bank announced it was moving to Panama and disappeared with all its clients money and gold holdings. "

But... but... but... banks are so SAFE... image Cheers, RickO
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    If the Forum members would come up with, say, a $50K travel budget—the cost of only one modest coin for some of you—I would be happy to conduct an international survey in person.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I know one of the major us coin companies has had a staff in Europe since the 70's just to buy gold from the banks and other sources. I have heard story's of 1,000's of coins being bought at one time. Also the person I talked with said he has found almost every rare us gold coin- I remember he was very proud to have found every $20 liberty and matte proof gold. I am sure much gold still exists in bank holdings.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a bank in Tangiers in 1958 that was big on selling US gold coins. They wanted to store them for you. Then the bank announced it was moving to Panama and disappeared with all its clients money and gold holdings. >>

Is that the bank in Panama that decided after a few years in Panama to relocate........back to Tangiers? image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know one of the major us coin companies has had a staff in Europe since the 70's just to buy gold from the banks and other sources. I have heard story's of 1,000's of coins being bought at one time. Also the person I talked with said he has found almost every rare us gold coin- I remember he was very proud to have found every $20 liberty and matte proof gold. I am sure much gold still exists in bank holdings. >>

What a score on those!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • I am sure some of European banks still hold lots of US Gold coins
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Then the bank announced it was moving to Panama and disappeared with all its clients money and gold holdings. "

But... but... but... banks are so SAFE... image Cheers, RickO >>

sure the banks are safe, lmao image
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    --- 82 --- + or - a few million....and don't forget South Amercan banks.
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    probably around 700,000,000 in 1920s value, or whenever it was Europe said, ok, here is your paper, give us the gold. So whatever that equates to today.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file