Home U.S. Coin Forum

2011 mint prices

tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Comments

• baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinks!
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    prices on everything just keeps goin up and the Goverment keeps saying there is no cost of living increase.

Great Gov.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• I assume they are trying to find the best price point to maximize revenue. Most folks here seem to support that type of free market tactic.

Let's see if it works out for them.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I assume they are trying to find the best price point to maximize revenue. Most folks here seem to support that type of free market tactic.

Let's see if it works out for them. >>

and if you read the mint annual reports, they have internal profit margins they try to meet. I'd have to look it up again, but it's not a large number maybe in the neighborhood of 10%.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $67.95 for the 2011 Silver Proof Set.

Now that leads to an issue.......buy them at full price and watch them potentially go way down in the aftermarket when/if silver drops (many new mint products do go down in the aftermarket), or, play the waiting game and buy them in the aftermarket after hoping they go down?
    Due to the price increase, there may not be as many sold, which could increase the price in the aftermarket.

Oh, decisions decisions decisions.....what to do????

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...that's a tuffy ron. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

• << <i>$67.95 for the 2011 Silver Proof Set.

Now that leads to an issue.......buy them at full price and watch them potentially go way down in the aftermarket when/if silver drops (many new mint products do go down in the aftermarket), or, play the waiting game and buy them in the aftermarket after hoping they go down?
    Due to the price increase, there may not be as many sold, which could increase the price in the aftermarket.

Oh, decisions decisions decisions.....what to do???? >>

Buy them in the aftermarket! Nearly every proof set issue is now cheaper than the issue date. Reviewing this list, the first thing that comes to mind is that the Mint produces too many products. I mean, who are the people ordering the 2011 Presidential Dollars Uncirculated Sets? Talk about boringimage
    the 2010 annual report is up from the mint

Seigniorage declined 29.7 percent to $300.8 million in FY 2010 from $427.8 million last year.

So, despite losing money on the cent and nickel, the net made money on all circulating coins shipped.

They were getting killed on the cent and nickel. Those circulating coins were costing them 1.79 and 1.85 for every dollar of them issued, and more than in 2008 or 2009.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... the silver proof set really jumped.... Perhaps they believe silver will continue to rise.... Cheers, RickO
    more from the annual report:

NUMISMATIC PRODUCTS

The pricing for this program is managed to at or below a 15 percent net margin overall to ensure sale prices are as low as practicable and returns are sufficient to fund numismatic operating costs.

Despite reduced demand, numismatic program net income and seigniorage increased to $49.8 million in FY 2010 from $41.1 million in FY 2009. Earnings growth reflected a shift in sales toward high margin products. Gross cost made up a smaller portion of numismatic sales revenue, boosting the net margin to 12.1 percent in FY 2010 from 9.3 percent in FY 2009. (and in 2008 it was 14.8% and in 2007 it was 13.8% and in 2006 it was 16.9%)
  • I'm cancelling all my subscriptions, this is ridiculous!
    cancel fast, some new issues are due up soon.

• << <i>

<< <i>$67.95 for the 2011 Silver Proof Set.

Oh, decisions decisions decisions.....what to do???? >>

Buy them in the aftermarket! Nearly every proof set issue is now cheaper than the issue date. Reviewing this list, the first thing that comes to mind is that the Mint produces too many products. I mean, who are the people ordering the 2011 Presidential Dollars Uncirculated Sets? Talk about boringimage >>

Yup, the market is pretty diluted at the moment. Buying from ebay has its negatives, but you may get a cheaper price, and you'll get a few ebay bucks + feedback out of it.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

...probably a typo but i see the clad proof sets didn't increase BUT the prez proofs did! i'm sure they'll correct

that at warp speed. image

• << <i>I'm cancelling all my subscriptions, this is ridiculous! >>

I just cleared the last one off. Enough is enough. Doesn't the Mint know what their stuff from 40 years ago is worth? My hobby is coin collecting, not burning cash. Time to revert back to the basics, collect from circulation. It satisfies both the collector in me and my wallet.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    They are making every effort to push away more collectors.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• My subscriptions are cancelled! I just read on another site their customer base fell off 20% last year. And this is how they are responding. Do you realize some prices have literally doubled in two years?
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    REDONKULOUS!!!!!image
    figglehorn
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No 2010 products last year and no 2011 products this year. image

...it's too bad the quality doesn't improve along with the price increases. image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No 2010 products last year and no 2011 products this year. image >>

No problem. No more subscriptions for me.

If I see something I like I will buy it online.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember paying $2.10 for a silver proof set.....................in 1963.............
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>I assume they are trying to find the best price point to maximize revenue. Most folks here seem to support that type of free market tactic.

Let's see if it works out for them. >>

I started off with a moderate position on this topic then I saw this.

"America the Beautiful Quarter 2 Roll Set 32.95 39.95 +7.00"

Watch as I go from smug to indignant.

Here is why. I like to fill an album with nice coins - like the top 5% from the mint rolls. I also like searching and do it yourself stuff. I open the rolls, search em and spend the rest. So for one set, I am "paying" $6 a quarter. Already hard to swallow.

Now, it would be $10 for a quarter! I have to find a more economical way to do this. I like the searching so buying a graded example will not do.

1) Make 2 or 3 sets and sell the extras on e bay in 2011. That ties up $25 for a decade and would maybe reduce the cost by a dollar a coin.
    2) Find a cheaper source of rolls. They would, however, need to be unsearched and equal in quality to the mint rolls (which generally have one or two really good coins).
    3) Find nice rolls at face. I have no reliable source for this and not a lot of time to spend looking around. Think opportunity cost here given work and family.
    4) Buy the "uncirculated set" instead. I hear the quality is not good and for me, the attraction is a choice MS set and not just a full album.
    5) Quite all this nonsense and find something else to do.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • for a small time collector as myself these prices are now out of a range i would be willing to buy them, i canceled my subscriptions when they announced the products would be out so early (to close to they expenses of the 2010 stuff for stuff i buy just to have 1 of), plus with the garbage the mint has been pushing out lately there is not much value besides the metal but that's just my opinion

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file