Home U.S. Coin Forum

Isn't album toning actually Artificial Toning?

2»

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how these professional graders can tell the difference between envelope or tissue toning and album toning or mint paper toning and what't the difference anyways? >>

I guess a lot of it is from years of practical experience. Those who were present when original mint bags of Morgans were opened are a lot more credible in their opinions than the folks who have seen them only on eBay.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is the album as much...

I think it's mainly whether or not that album is stored somewhere in the state of Florida. That state tones coins.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder how these professional graders can tell the difference between envelope or tissue toning and album toning or mint paper toning and what't the difference anyways? >>

I guess a lot of it is from years of practical experience. Those who were present when original mint bags of Morgans were opened are a lot more credible in their opinions than the folks who have seen them only on eBay. >>

Well, my experence has been, I have submitted coins to one very respectable coin grading service and they have come back with "questionable color" so I send them to another very respectable grading service and they come back graded with no problem what so ever. In fact, they have come back with nice high grades! What's the deal with that?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I guess a lot of it is from years of practical experience. Those who were present when original mint bags of Morgans were opened are a lot more credible in their opinions than the folks who have seen them only on eBay. >>

Well, my experence has been, I have submitted coins to one very respectable coin grading service and they have come back with "questionable color" so I send them to another very respectable grading service and they come back graded with no problem what so ever. In fact, they have come back with nice high grades! What's the deal with that? >>

That all PCGS graders have been around all original mint bags of Morgans as they were being opened? Oh wait, was your question rhetorical?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well, my experence has been, I have submitted coins to one very respectable coin grading service and they have come back with "questionable color" so I send them to another very respectable grading service and they come back graded with no problem what so ever. In fact, they have come back with nice high grades! What's the deal with that? >>

That all PCGS graders have been around all original mint bags of Morgans as they were being opened? Oh wait, was your question rhetorical? >>

My point was that the PCGS grading has collective experience in all the common types of toning and no doubt PCGS has known examples of of the various types just like they do grading set coins.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...is not the new 'sniffer' the final word? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    it may be accidental but not artificial
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>AT would be accelerated toning >>

that should be the new definition.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • My opinion is no.
    I will happily pay a premium for a nice bulls eye album toned anything, as it takes at least 10 years for shades to even begin to take shape, and I believe well over 30 years for the concentric rings or bands of color to begin forming which is to me "album toning". I have pieces that have been sitting in albums for over 13 years, and some are only beginning to percolate, but mildly. The primary reason for being in the albums is for protection, and I like displaying coins that way too. It is my opinion that most of the wildly album toned pieces one sees once resided in the old Wayte Raymond boards manufactured in the 1930's, 40's and 50's, likely with a moderate sulfur content. I don't think the modern Dansco (without the anti-corrosion slip case) is capable of toning coins as dramatically, but I am seeing light golds and pastel blues being formed around the peripheries. To me, album toning is natural toning.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirley, Shirley, Shirley.....

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file