Home U.S. Coin Forum

Will you collect the 2011 September 11th Memorial Medal?

Not the "Freedom Tower" gold plated thing from TV, but the official 1 ounce silver medal being offered from the US Mint. The plan is to create 2 million Proof 1 oz silver medals sold directly through the United States Mint. The mintages will be split between the U.S. Mint facilities in Philadelphia and Denver. They're going to be dual dated with '2001-2011' and have the motto (or meme for you hipsters) 'Always Remember'. I'm excited for it! Anyone else planning on collecting it?
Come see Coinzine's Coin of the Day at http://www.coinzine.net/category/coin-of-the-day/ . Coinzine's looking for contributors! Want to publish your opinions or articles? Contact us at coinzine@coinzine.net

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, now that I know about it. Thanks.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It strikes me as dubious.

Any time you connect a profit-making enterprise to a tragedy, you are on sensitive ground.

Hopefully all net proceeds go to the families or first responders.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. That is my birthday. Hopefully the seigniorage(sic?) from these will partially fund the 1st responder health care law just signed by the POTUS.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Yes I always wanted this.
    I'm patiently waiting for the mailman image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭

<< <i>Yes. That is my birthday. Hopefully the seigniorage(sic?) from these will partially fund the 1st responder health care law just signed by the POTUS. >>

My birthday as well. Will absolutely be buying these.
  • Any design photos yet? I just hope they don't try to cram it full of politically correct garbage.

Rant over
  • Why would i want to commemorate the greatest act of treason perpetrated in the USA since the JFK assassination? I have strong feelings about this that I will not go into on a public forum, however I will not be buying this medal.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The medal is to honor those who died, not the act.

• << <i>Why would i want to commemorate the greatest act of treason perpetrated in the USA since the JFK assassination? I have strong feelings about this that I will not go into on a public forum, however I will not be buying this medal. >>

Non-partisan URL link? This would let others decide for themselves.
    Such an off hand comment should require elaboration.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

<< <i>The medal is to honor those who died, not the act. >>

Thank You Roger.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873

<< <i>Why would i want to commemorate the greatest act of treason perpetrated in the USA since the JFK assassination? I have strong feelings about this that I will not go into on a public forum, however I will not be buying this medal. >>

So I'm guessing you've never used a kennedy half dollar then?? Its to rememeber lives lost not an act I would hope. When is the release date? I would like to add a few to my collection
  • sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    I was there, do not need a coin to remind me about it. I will always remember
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely & thanks for the heads-up
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • I'll buy it! Wish they would have decided on making a commemorative coin that strictly commemorated United Flight 93. They could have done it as part of a two-coin series or something. I just would love to be able to buy a coin with the word's "Let's Roll!" on it.
  • No unless they guarantee all net proceeds go to the families or first responders.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭
    yes
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really know if I will or will not.

I have my own memories of the day and certainly do not need some medal to remind me of what I felt and saw.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>No unless they guarantee all net proceeds go to the families or first responders. >>

First responders would be my choice. While I sympathize with the families of the victims, I have greater respect for the people that voluntarily put themselves in harms way in the name of helping others, many of which are now paying the consequences of their actions.
  • BoggledMindBoggledMind Posts: 144 ✭✭

Those get my vote.
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of any of the designs.
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>New Information

JH >>

Lots more designs in the link.

Wow, those designs are the worst things I've ever seen.

What's with the giant forks?

Acorns and Oak leaves.

That's the best they can do.???

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I like NSM-O-10
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why commemorate a national disaster?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359

<< <i>Why would i want to commemorate the greatest act of treason perpetrated in the USA since the JFK assassination? I have strong feelings about this that I will not go into on a public forum, however I will not be buying this medal. >>

treason?? Please.......Is this Alex Jones???
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why commemorate a national disaster?

image >>

• << <i>

<< <i>Why commemorate a national disaster?

image >>

image >>

On this note, has any official medal offered to the public been offered to memorialize those killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor? That was similar in nature, albeit a military target.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file