Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the grade -- 1923 Mercury. Grade Revealed.

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
I broke it out of an ANACS MS64FB
Sent to PCGS only to get a Genuine -- Altered surface.
Sent it back to PCGS to get an MS62.
This is a no brainer Full Band coin, but PCGS doesn't think so.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to guess a grade for heavily toned coins using just photos is very tough. Doing it while on the iPhone while watching the Sugar Bowl makes it harder. Sorry I can't be of much help in your guessing game this time around. Looks shiny mint state with good strike and FB...at least it does on the tiny iPhone screen.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64FB image
  • I'm going to guess a grape jelly with a hint of blueberry MS65 FB
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65FB..... Cheers, RickO
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Not very many players...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    66fsb would be my guess, i don't see any real marks on it.
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64FB is my guess based on the photos.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
    ttt

<< <i>

<< <i>I broke it out of an ANACS MS64FB
    >>

If the grade does not fit, must re-submit. Again, again and again until we are finally happy. >>

This one has made its last trip.
    It shouldn't have been graded Genuine, and I knew there was no reason to do so. I sent it back because I know the difference between a Genuine and gradeable coin.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I broke it out of an ANACS MS64FB
    >>

If the grade does not fit, must re-submit. Again, again and again until we are finally happy. >>

This one has made its last trip.
    It shouldn't have been graded Genuine, and I knew there was no reason to do so. I sent it back because I know the difference between a Genuine and gradeable coin. >>

I wonder what they deemed altered the first time around. I wish they would include a brief note when the bag a coin for altered surfaces.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • PCGS is obviously much tougher than ANACS as far as grading

<< <i>PCGS is obviously much tougher than ANACS as far as grading >>

Which in this case is surprising. This coin should not have been graded 62, but my guess would be one of the graders went AU and one went MS and it averaged out to 62, but they should have still got the FB right.

<< <i>PCGS is obviously much tougher than ANACS as far as grading >>

I know what you mean.......Take for example this coin. It was graded MS65 by ANACS.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS MS63RD, Now PCGS MS64RD:
    I can look at it from another direction. Now I only need an MS61 to complet an MS grading set of Mercury Dimes from 60 to 68.

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha Ha...... PCGS must not like 23P Mercs that come out of ANACS holders. Gently dip that baby and it will go 65FB......image

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file