Home Precious Metals
Options

This will be the most important chart of 2011--------Updated to December

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lets see how it evolves. Someone please remind me to update it at the beginning of every month.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Egads! Maybe so, Dave. Maybe so.....

You think we're gonna see a Krakatoa event?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Egads! Maybe so, Dave. Maybe so.....

You think we're gonna see a Krakatoa event? >>

Maybe the Mayans are right.image

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Maybe the Mayans are right.image >>

I was about to say that it could be the most important chart of the next two years if you protract the upper and lower boundaries. It may take that long before the fat lady sings.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe the Mayans are right.image >>

I was about to say that it could be the most important chart of the next two years if you protract the upper and lower boundaries. It may take that long before the fat lady sings. >>

Possibly. By the end of the 2011 the trendlines will only be about 6 points wide. Typically these wedge formations break when about 75-80% complete. Given that the dollar has averaged 14 points moves the last 2 years, this pattern probably breaks in the latter 1/2 of 2011. So what are the consequences for 2012---big election year.

• Options
    Definitely repost the progress of this chart.
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    So when the wedge pattern breaks.....does that mean up or down for the dollar?
    Zach
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So when the wedge pattern breaks.....does that mean up or down for the dollar?

yes.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So when the wedge pattern breaks.....does that mean up or down for the dollar?

yes. >>

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the sovereign debt in both Europe and the US, and with unlimited bailouts/QE's as the antidote, does the USDX really mean anything any more? 2 major fiat currencies working back and forth against each other, but in essence both just falling at different rates. An upward price objective for that triangle could be around 100. If that happened I'd still expect gold to remain within 10% of current levels.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not sure what I'm looking at. Never learned anything about this type of chart in my small town widwest school.
  • Options
    Typically these wedge formations break when about 75-80% complete.

very interesting...

2 major fiat currencies working back and forth against each other, but in essence both just falling at different rates.

true enough...

An upward price objective for that triangle could be around 100. If that happened I'd still expect gold to remain within 10% of current levels.

My bad. Darn, I thought I was looking at a dollar/gold chart! This is just currency stuff!!!!

jmski, you fool. learn to pay attention! you are not smart enough to trade currencies!!!!! Ack.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    My bad. Darn, I thought I was looking at a dollar/gold chart! This is just currency stuff!!!!

Yup, charts of air vs air. The dollar to gold chart has been headed down for the last 2 yrs. It looks nothing like the USDX chart with it's "strong" rebounds. But the sheepled public don't ever look at a dollar to gold chart....only the dollar chart, if they even look at one.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Updated first post to show movement over the last month.

jmski, you for got to remind me on the 1st.imageimage

• Options
    jmski, you for got to remind me on the 1st. imageimage

Sorry, I'm busy trying to figure out how to make my 10,000th post memorable, but I am starting from scratch as this is #9,999.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm busy trying to figure out how to make my 10,000th post memorable, but I am starting from scratch as this is #9,999.

Make a prediction.........
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    What are the stronger currencies against the dollar? ( I know...all of them image ). But seriously, what are the better currencies to buy...Canadian? Australian? Swiss Franc? Any ideas? Which pay dividends for holding them?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

<< <i>jmski, you for got to remind me on the 1st. imageimage

Sorry, I'm busy trying to figure out how to make my 10,000th post memorable, but I am starting from scratch as this is #9,999.image >>

I think you should start a thread with nothing in the title and nothing in the original post and just see where it ends.
  • Options
    Updated for March

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Looks like it's holding strong in the mid-upper 70's. image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>Sorry c, but I gotta keep an eye on this one for the moment:

image >>

That bubble popped just one month later.

• Options
    But it's building again and we all know that it took a financial meltdown in 2008 to pop the last one. You will also see a continued inverse relationship between the dollar and oil. Oil now threatens to drive the dollar down at a much faster pace.

• Options

<< <i>But it's building again and we all know that it took a financial meltdown in 2008 to pop the last one. You will also see a continued inverse relationship between the dollar and oil. Oil now threatens to drive the dollar down at a much faster pace. >>

I would disagree that the financial crisis popped the oil bubble. It certainly enhanced the subsequent downward move though.

• Options

<< <i>I would disagree that the financial crisis popped the oil bubble. It certainly enhanced the subsequent downward move though. >>

Nothing personal, but are you quoting Ben Bernake?

• Options
    Updated for April

• Options
    derryb, there were a few rogue crude oil traders in a rather shlock operation who managed to help make a mess of the crude oil market and didn't help matters with their speculative oil trading when the market decided to take a breather.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Dave, you're skeering me.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would disagree that the financial crisis popped the oil bubble. It certainly enhanced the subsequent downward move though. >>

Nothing personal, but are you quoting Ben Bernake? >>

The financial crisis started in March 2008--if not earlier-- with the failure of Bear Stearns. Oil was about $100 in March. It went up another 50% by early July. Global economies were already starting to slow in the Spring of 2008 and the ECB was clueless. They raised rates on July 3, 2008 and the Euro and oil peaked just 1 week later. The ECB rate hike was completely unnecessary and foolhardy as I wrote in the 2008 Econ thread at the time. Portugal is asking for help right now, due in large part to this rate hike. If rates are gonna be higher in Germany, with a "somewhat" fiscally sound economy, how friggin high they gonna be in Portugal? And now the ECB is bringing down the hammer on the last nail of Spain's coffin with their 20% unemployment.

Tomorrow they will most likely raise rates again. Another stupid move. But the USA is not raising rates, which is also stupid. But this is all a coordinated effort to weaken-or keep weak-- the US dollar thus preventing a global depression. Eventually the Euro will collapse, as it did in 2008, and we all know how pleasant that was.

• Options

<< <i>Dave, you're skeering me. >>

I dont think its time ti throw in the towel just yet. It could be a bit early in the pattern to breakdown and my momo indicator may be starting to turn up. The pattern could become a "bear trap", just as the breakout higher in the YEN turned out to be a "bull trap".

• Options
    Luckily, I don't have a towel to throw. There's too many factors still weighing against the dollar to even think about its recovery.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Euro at a 14 month high against the dollar. It finally busted through 1.42 resistance on several tries on the momemtum of an expected ECB rate hike.

The dollar breaking down on Dave's chart is no surprise. Some were banking on it image

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the Aussie Dollah, Mate!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Look at the Aussie Dollah, Mate!!! >>

Don't forget about the Cando either, eh?

MJ
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    $ @ 74.91 as I type what does this do & mean to your chart?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    It fell out of the channel which was a very strong one with defined trend lines. What was support could now be future resistance. The dollar looks like it is headed lower according to that chart. Of course every sunken ship had a chart as well...............MJ
  • Options
    I suppose it means that real interest rates will remain below zero, and that the metals will continue up.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    74.81 as I typeimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    73.08 as I typeimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    The 2010 H&S formation price objective of 0.71 now appears to be the primary target (peak at 88 with neckline crossing at approx 80). We could hit that in the next 4-6 weeks.

roadrunner
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << This will be the most important chart of 2011--------Updated for April >>

A chart of the dollar against silver might be equally important. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>The 2010 H&S formation price objective of 0.71 now appears to be the primary target (peak at 88 with neckline crossing at approx 80). We could hit that in the next 4-6 weeks.

roadrunner >>

So we have 4-6 more weeks of PM surge and stock market surge. After this period it would be time to take a nice holiday during the Summer and come back in the Fall.
  • Options
    The way it's dropping, it could also be 4-6 days.

roadrunner
  • Options
    May 3 image Update for May.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Updated for May.

A clear break of the wedge. So whats next? There is price support near the 2008 lows of 71-72. It is also not unusual-actually expected-for there to be a retest of the broken uptrend line. In this case, the dollar could rally as high as 77+.

Given the parabolic look of many currencies--Aussie and Canada $$ and Swiss Franc and the fact that my momo indicator is extremely low, I would say probability for some type of consolidation is likely in order.

Other things to watch for are the defensive names in the stock market outperforming growth names and the remarkable strength of treasuries over the last month.

• Options
    Geez.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Updated for May.

A clear break of the wedge. So whats next? There is price support near the 2008 lows of 71-72. It is also not unusual-actually expected-for there to be a retest of the broken uptrend line. In this case, the dollar could rally as high as 77+.

Given the parabolic look of many currencies--Aussie and Canada $$ and Swiss Franc and the fact that my momo indicator is extremely low, I would say probability for some type of consolidation is likely in order.

Other things to watch for are the defensive names in the stock market outperforming growth names and the remarkable strength of treasuries over the last month. >>

Well, dollar rallied up to 76.36. The defensive nature of the market resulted in the first down month for the DOW in 5 months. June historically one of the weakest months and is starting out pretty ugly today.

The Aussie and Candian dollar did consolidate (drop) last month. The Swiss Franc did correct briefly but is now hitting new highs. I believe the Franc could be entering a parabolic blowoff stage as it may have broken above the upper end of the 10 yr uptrend channel. The Swiss Franc is backed up by basically nothing. Switzerland has a GDP about equal to the revenues of Wal-Mart, a tiny military, and has very little agriculture business. Its claim to fame is--the much loved on this board--financial services industry. Its population is less than the greater Chicago metro area.

At least Australia and Canada have a bunch of rocks.image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Updated for May.

Other things to watch for are the defensive names in the stock market outperforming growth names and the remarkable strength of treasuries over the last month. >>

Well, dollar rallied up to 76.36. The defensive nature of the market resulted in the first down month for the DOW in 5 months. June historically one of the weakest months and is starting out pretty ugly today.

The Aussie and Candian dollar did consolidate (drop) last month. The Swiss Franc did correct briefly but is now hitting new highs. I believe the Franc could be entering a parabolic blowoff stage as it may have broken above the upper end of the 10 yr uptrend channel. The Swiss Franc is backed up by basically nothing. Switzerland has a GDP about equal to the revenues of Wal-Mart, a tiny military, and has very little agriculture business. Its claim to fame is--the much loved on this board--financial services industry. Its population is less than the greater Chicago metro area.

At least Australia and Canada have a bunch of rocks.image >>

I felt a scud missle sail right over my head.........Yes, I still love my swissy, cando and aussie dollars for all different reasons. The Swiss Franc I like as it's the ultimate anti Euro and flight to safety play. Besides they have great hot chocolate and even hotter women. I like rocks. MJ
  • Options
    I felt a scud missle sail right over my head.........Yes, I still love my swissy, cando and aussie dollars for all different reasons. The Swiss Franc I like as it's the ultimate anti Euro and flight to safety play. Besides they have great hot chocolate and even hotter women. I like rocks. MJ

Come, on, you know it wouldnt be a scud!!

I'll agree its a great anti-Euro play. But it so tiny and volatile, that at these levels, the risk vastly outweighs the rewards. I wouldnt be surprised to see the Franc make a "silveresc(sp)" type of move.

Someday I'll have to tell you my story of trying to cross the Alps from Davos in 20 year old VW golf in the middle of winter.image

• Options
    ttt

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    80 by August