Home U.S. Coin Forum

You know you've been around the coin biz for a while when.......

....you can remember getting the first VHS video tape of the offerings from Teletrade's very first auction.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has great potential. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Market has changed a bunch Adrian. Be careful...image
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread has great potential. MJ >>

Indeed.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who didn't experience the 1979-80 market is a relative newcomer in my opinion.
  • jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    I don't think any disrespect is intended toward Adrian.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great question that anyone should ask of ANY dealer they intend to do biz with...
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad the old Anaconda dealership is a thing of the past. Few dealers elicited as much commentary on this message board as they did. Fortunately, there are a number of archived threads concerning the old Anaconda. Too bad there aren't many pics. Some of the coin images were very interesting, to say the least. Never underestimate the power of marketing in the numismatic business.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

<< <i>Too bad the old Anaconda dealership is a thing of the past. Few dealers elicited as much commentary on this message board as they did. Fortunately, there are a number of archived threads concerning the old Anaconda. Too bad there aren't many pics. Some of the coin images were very interesting, to say the least. Never underestimate the power of marketing in the numismatic business. >>

There is no greater numismatic marketing machine then PCGS imho. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still have anaconda.com bookmarked.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Anybody have any wildly toned Peace Dollars?

Russ, NCNE
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody have any wildly toned Peace Dollars?

Russ, NCNE >>

Ouch!!! Below the belt, and the ref takes a point away.imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody have any wildly toned Peace Dollars?

Russ, NCNE >>

Uh oh! this thread may go over 100, I think.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    ya see someone pop out some incredible coins only to dissappear-

but then your glad they showed back up even though they tryed to make you misrible
    on many occassions-

Im always glad ta seeya Adrian-carry on

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I've been around a while myself I remember when silver circulated. Jerry
  • I'm relatively new here. Why don't you guys man up and ask what you want instead of all these innuendos? Its like an episode of mean girls around here............
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855

• This thread has great potential. MJ

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But do you still have any of the coins from that sale?
  • Tradedollarnut stated: "That's a great question that anyone should ask of ANY dealer they intend to do biz with... " (referring to Realone's public request that I reveal my credentials in numismatics)

Tradedollarnut: Yes, you are absolutely right.

However, since I am no longer dealing in coins, have not indicated that I plan on dealing in coins, and am not in fact planning on dealing in coins, it seems a little premature and somewhat confrontational to publicly request my numismatic credentials in a public forum, especially when in Mark Feld's thread, I told Realone that I would answer his question in a PM, if he was seriously curious.

However, to humor Realone, I will answer his question, plus a little more.

OK, Realone, here's the skinny:

When I was a kid, I collected stamps and my brother collected coins.

In 1985 or so, I came across the Salomon Brother's report on the long term results of various asset classes. It ranked rare coins as having produced the highest returns in the 25 year study.

Believing that I was eventually going to have a lot of money, I thought that I should study rare coins. So, I met Richard Medina at a coin shop on Fredericksburg Road in San Antonio, where I was living at the time, married, developing a business for my father-in-law, and working and getting my Master's Degree in Business Administration from the University of Texas at San Antonio. (I believed that I was eventually going to have a lot of money because I felt like I understood business, always had more money than my peers, and was making my father-in-law about 25K a month in a business I had started for him within about 6 months of starting it.)

I got a hold of Q. David Bower's book on rare coin investments which said I should study coins thoroughly ("buy the book before the coin") before I started spending a bunch of money on them.

At Richard's shop, I bought a bunch of junk silver, learned to grade circulated coins and then uncirculated and proof coins and bought and read just about every book on coins that I could.

Within about 6 months, I was consigning coins to Richard that he sold for me at his shop. We would split the margin. Things went well.

Then, PCGS got into the grading business in about 1986 or so, I believe. Then, intuitively, I knew rare coins were going to take off, and they did. The market peaked in 1989 or so....my memory recalls mid May of 1989 as being 'round about the peak.

Then I got accepted into law school in 1987, at St. Mary's School of Law in San Antonio.

Bowers, my hero, stated that coins moved in cycles, so, I sold out in 1989, right at about the peak, and got out of coins, holding onto one 1804 PCGS MS64 BN Draped Bust Half Cent. Then, the market crashed. Many commems lost 80% of their value.

In May of 1990, I finished both my law degree and my MBA. I remember getting back into coins in a small way, in the fall of 1990 because I remember buying a Proof 65 Barber Half from Kathleen Duncan who worked at the time for Larry Whitlow and who now owns Pinnacle.

In early 1991, I started my own law. A few years later, after I was making quite a bit of money as a personal injury lawyer, maybe in 1995 or so, if memory serves me correctly, I started getting back into coins, dealing on ebay first as snakesq@aol.com and then later as anaconda.rare.coins. Pretty early on, I decided to deal primarily in the very best coins, as I saw them.

Newsweek Magazine did a cover story on eBay in 2002. It just so happens that around that time I sold a set of currency on eBay (educational notes in CGA 65) for $34,000, and they contacted me and my photo and a blurb occurred in Newsweek magazine. Also at that time, I ran ads in the largest currency rag, stating that grading was coming in a big way to currency. Currency collectors told me I was wrong. Of course, it's the theme of my life....."Crane....you are crazy!"

Several memorable things occurred that some may recall. I offered an ACG liberty nickel for one million dollars on eBay that got about 5000 visits in one week. Also, I bought a Roanoke for about $7,500 in an ANACS 67 holder and then offered a profit of $10,000 to anyone who would buy it, get it into an NGC 67 holder and then sell it back to me. I paid up (texasbulliontraders) and then sold the coin for $20,000. People stated in a thread in this forum, that they remembered the coin from 35 years ago.

I bought and sold continuously on my own until I hired Brandon Kelley away from Pinnacle Rarities (and doubled his income) sometime in 2003 or 2004. Brandon, the smartest person I have ever met and the only person who has regularly beaten me at chess, other than my older brother, did wonders for the company. We probably averaged sales of $300,000 to 400,000 a month during most of the time he worked with me. On and off we also employed one or two other people. Had a lot of fun and made quite a bit of money while dealing in some monsters......and controversial coins.

In 2007 I sold my law firm and retired and moved to Costa Rica. In 2008, again, near the top of the market, I sold my entire inventory through Heritage.

In January of 2009, I came back to the US and have been here since then, although I plan on going back to CR soon.

In December of 2010, I came up with the concept of IncredibleCoins.com and decided to get back into coins but this time, in part, by promoting all of the very best coins currently on the market.
  • By the way, IncredibleCoins.com will be a great website and people will enjoy going to it more than they did Anacondararecoins.com (because it will have way more coins and info on it), and dealers who participate will see major increases in sales as compared to those who don't. Guarenteed.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, IncredibleCoins.com will be a great website and people will enjoy going to it more than they did Anacondararecoins.com, and dealers who participate will see major increases in sales as compared to those who don't. Guarenteed. >>

I enjoyed ARC quite a bit so you have your work cut out for you. imageimage

<< <i>Also, I have come up with a plan to literally "save the world". Ask me about it. >>

Sounds interesting. Care to share what aspect of saving the world?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    two anaconda oldie goldies:

imageimage

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• It is nice to see old coins I've owned.
  • Was that my PCGS MS 68 $10 Indian? Meeeeeeeemories....may be beautiful and yet......sorry.....
  • That $20 Lib was a moose. Brandon did take incredible pics.
  • Unfortunately, I don't have my old archives anymore, I need to get a copy from Brandon.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    what does that have to do with coins?

Post more gold.
  • C'mon, post some more gold!
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Yeah, post some more gold!
    (all pics by Brandon@Anaconda)

posted this in another current thread:

Here's two not shown recently:

imageimage

Or we could just do some gold non-gold:

imageimage

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the story, Adrian!

Posting gold now....

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • I thought it was a beta tape.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Did you ever pay Brandon the money you said you would pay him on a post along time ago?
    Also I thought you were being attacked in costa rica at one time.
    What happened?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
    Two of my favorite coins that I bought from Anaconda. Brandon's pics. MJ

<< <i>Did you ever pay Brandon the money you said you would pay him on a post along time ago?
    Also I thought you were being attacked in costa rica at one time.
    What happened? >>

Like MJ said, "This thread has potential."

MJ, what's the Gettysburg graded? My favorite pic by Brandon.

Jump on in Poorguy, we know you're out there. image

67 on the Gettysburg. MJ
    Jupiter Coins stated:

<< <i>Did you ever pay Brandon the money you said you would pay him on a post along time ago?
    Also I thought you were being attacked in costa rica at one time. What happened? >>

Pull up the post and let's see what it says - I think you are misquoting me.

Furthermore, the deal I had with Brandon is between Brandon and me and it doesn't concern you in the least, and for you to ask me here in a public forum about my private affairs, and to essentially insinuate that I owe him money, is really amazing, and I don't mean amazing in a positive way. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with US coins. Finally, do you think an attorney with 20 years with the bar who has no disciplinary history and no criminal record who has what it takes to post threads to this forum like "Have you ever heard of Anaconda screwing someone in a coin deal?" (go call the thread up) would rip off one of his best friends?

Why don't you ask Brandon what happened. If he says that I owe him anything, (which he won't because I don't) I will make a comment. Brandon and I are and have always been friends. Hopefully that is enough for you to know. Now, please get on with your life or watch TV if yours' isn't interesting enough.

And as far as what happened to me in Costa Rica, I have been warned by CU staff about talking about things in this forum that are not related to coins and out of respect to them I will adhere to their requests. If you really want more information, PM me. I imagine though you really don't want information, you really want to just try to embarass me or get me into trouble. Good luck with that. By the way, have you seen Barry posting recently?

<< <i>Thank you Adrian for the history. >>

You're welcome. I know I gave more than just the history directly related to my selling coins but I think the rest gives you a little background on me which helps you to know who I am. And know this: I'm an OK guy, no matter what my mother says.

<< <i>

You're welcome. I know I gave more than just the history directly related to my selling coins but I think the rest gives you a little background on me which helps you to know who I am. And know this: I'm an OK guy, no matter what my ex says. >>

That 1869 quarter.....I would call that pretty incredible.

And, wouldn't it be great to be able to go to just one website where you could see all of the coins of that caliber currently available for purchase......AND look through archives of the most incredible coins that have ever surfaced.....imagine what an archive of those coins would look like in 10 years?

It's gonna happen and I'm gonna make it happen.
    You, Mr. TDN are a stinker.

Makes me want to pull up a thread you started about me entitled:

"I suspect that I'm not the only one who is extremely impressed by and greatly enjoys Anaconda's posts."

<< <i>You, Mr. TDN are a stinker.

Makes me want to pull up a thread you started about me entitled:

"I suspect that I'm not the only one who is extremely impressed by and greatly enjoys Anaconda's posts." >>

Of course I'm not. I'm thoroughly convinced that at the very least YOU are impressed and greatly enjoy them as well. image
    That must have been a direct reference to the posted pic of your secretary at the time. image
    I actually excel at humility, but I try to be subtle about it. Very, very subtle.
    Yes....Stephanie....with the ANACS Proof Peace Dollar at her hip. I do remember her. That's all I will say.
    It's funny how this forum has changed....I remember we used to say "goodnight" to each other when we would sign off at the end of the night.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Goodnight.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to see Anaconda back posting.

The threads are almost always entertaining and the coins posted are sure fun to look at.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

Thanks, I truly appreciate that. Even strong guys like me need to be wanted! (Reminds me, I need a bath.)

Sometimes the threads get too entertaining......and if it seems like I have suddenly disappeared after one of those really entertaining threads, please call Don Willis and tell him ya'll miss me and want him to un-ban me!
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Goodnight everyone------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

You're welcome. I know I gave more than just the history directly related to my selling coins but I think the rest gives you a little background on me which helps you to know who I am. And know this: I'm an OK guy, no matter what my mother says. >>

I'll dive into this Adrian and I may need CPR when I'm finished because of some folks attempting to drown me.

In your thread about Anaconda screwing you.....it was so long ago now that I don't remember all the details. Essentially I bought a commem from you that, if memory serves me right (and I'm subject at my age to being 100 percent wrong) you were very confident would cross as I only deal in PCGS and that was NGC.

The coin didn't cross and a top national, well respected dealer, after looking at it, suggested it was a bit weak for the grade anyway.

I emailed or PM'd you about this. You said mistakes happen but you would make yours good. You told me to tell Brendan, at any show, that you said "to make a past deal good for me." I wound up getting a much more expensive, and rarer higher grade, commem (taking full advantage of your offer). Without hesitation, Brandon took about 25% off the cost of the coin and I, literally, got a rip from you under bid. When I told you about it later, you had absolutely no problem with it at all and you offered to buy back the original coin at its original cost but I had already sold it at my purchase price to an inferior dealer nowhere at your level.

In short, you more than held up your word by me. I'd do business with you again, with absolutely no hesitation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file