Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Apologies to the forum for my absence

Wow, it's good to be back!

My health kind of collapsed this summer and as a result so did my mental health.

With concerns in every direction I did not even think about coins or LordM's trip to England for months, and for that I am sorry.
Without too much personal detail I'm better and should be near normal this spring.
As to lordM's trip, we had $2700 pledged. $2600 is in my possession, there is about $300-$400
pledged which has not been sent to me yet. Current total therefor is around $3000, including sales from donated coins.
LordM will go to England as I am not ready to give up all the work we did to get us this far. More on the subject soon.

I will try to communicate more frequently but am still dealing with issues.
For example, after 2 years on pain medication I am now an addict to the pain killers which I just came off of.
I suffer from insomnia, cold and hot sweats, nausea, diarrhea, restless leg, agitation, total loss of appitite, muscle spasms, loss of concentration, elevated blood pressure,
racing heart, phantom aches and pains, irritability and depression-all of this as a result of taking opiates for pain for 2 years and then stopping cold turkey.
Today I begin a supervised withdrawl from the opiates-should take about 2-3 weeks. Then perhaps I'll be back to normal.

I am typing this on my new computer, the old one having died suddenly. I will catch up on mail as soon as I can. Good to be back among friends.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Laurent! I hope and pray for your return to good health.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Here is to your full return to health. I am on Vicodin for a cancerous tumor in my pelvis (one year now)so I truly sympathize. My prayers for your speedy recovery!

Joel 2:25
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Laurent, sorry to hear about your troubles but wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Great to see you back.image
  • Options
    Good to see you! Please take care of yourself, and let us know how you are doing. I wish you a quick recovery.image
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Hang in there laurentyvan. I have a couple of friends that got addicted to painkillers. They are off them now and doing fine. I'm sure you'll come through this and be back to normal in no time.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Great to see you back.

+1. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

imageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the kind words!

I certainly didn't mean to expose my troubles here but shared pain is diminished pain...

I will start to go through 6 months of posts that I missed but if someone could list say, 3 major coin or forum- related things that happened
    during my absence which might interest me, I would appreciate it.image
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Laurent-glad to have you back buddy. How about we meet for lunch at Mickey Finn's? I will be in Florida until the 15th of January but will be free after that. Give me a call or pm after the 15th.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Laurent,

You da man!! Get well my friend !! Good to hear from you!!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHOOO-EEEE!

Boy, Cap'n, are you ever a sight for sore eyes!

I can't think of any Yeti I would have been happier to see come shambling out of the icy wastes!

I am truly sorry to hear of your woes. I had my own bouts of poor mental health (i.e., clinical depression) which kept me away from here almost as long as you, but fortunately I didn't have to deal with physical pain on top of that. I sincerely hope you'll be on the mend soon.

There has been some stirring (mostly guilt, on my part) as to what to do about the whole "LordM to England" trip thing, with folks having paid up so much money. (Until rather recently, I was blissfully unaware that the funds had actually been collected rather than just pledged).

I came stumbling in out of my own Yetidom to find many things changed. One sad note was the Cameron Kiefer tragedy, about which I've spoken little, since it's... well ... not a nice thing to speak about. The other was the crazy price of bullion, which went into the stratosphere while I played Rip Van Winkle. I came back and put some stuff up for sale way below melt, and it was pounced on rather quickly!

Anyway, I was gonna call you because I was feeling guilty about all this money that had been collected in my name- that the donors needed some sort of reckoning on it- and I was dreading that call, because I knew you had issues to deal with. I told myself I would wait until after my mother's birthday to call you, since that's another day when one is dutybound to make a phone call.

Well, guess what... my mother's birthday is today, January 4th. You're a master of the timely entrance, it would seem.

It's really good to see you again, and not just because your reappearance will save me some grief, either.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back. Looking forward to your informative posts! Best of health to you.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Laurent, so glad to hear from you after all this time. Happy new year, and it's such good news that LordM will do his trip! Hope you feel better soon.

For example, after 2 years on pain medication I am now an addict to the pain killers which I just came off of.
    I suffer from insomnia, cold and hot sweats, nausea, diarrhea, restless leg, agitation, total loss of appitite, muscle spasms, loss of concentration, elevated blood pressure,
    racing heart, phantom aches and pains, irritability and depression-all of this as a result of taking opiates for pain for 2 years and then stopping cold turkey.

What are you, nuts? Cold turkey from opiates is a no no for anybody above 25, I know that first hand.

Today I begin a supervised withdrawl from the opiates-should take about 2-3 weeks. Then perhaps I'll be back to normal

The insomnia will persevere beyond this time. If you feel the subject is too private, you can PM me if you wish. Maybe I could help with a tip or two.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Glad you're back Laurent.

What a classy response LordM!!
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the troubles. I hope this place helps get you on the right track.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    I, too, wish to add my voice to the welcome back chorus. I missed your posts.

Best wishes on your journey on the road to better health. I can say from personal experience that the road will have an unexpected bump or two - when that happens, lean on your family & friends, that's what we're here for.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get well soon Laurent.
    I went down that road when I was weened off pain killers in 1985.
    It ain't easy!!image

Hang in there, it will be worth all your efforts.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    It's good to see you back among us!image
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Laurent -so glad to see your post - please hang in there,and when things look bad,jump on the forum to chat with friends.
    Shep
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Get well sooner than later! What is the cost of a share to send thou Holey one to this great island in which you speak of? I will definitely buy a share or two. If you need a little guidance or a possible extra location, I have relatives that reside in Surrey and who know the locales very well. -Dan
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Laurentyvan:

Welcome back, sir! I hope your troubles are soon behind you! It was weird reading forum posts and not seeing you or Lord Marcovan for that matter.

Sorry that you have had such troubles. I understand why you would keep them to yourself but it is still a relief to see old friends back again.

If that is your library in your tagline, I am impressed! It is inspiring for me as I pine for my own corner of the world filled with books one day.

Lord Marcovan! Glad to see you walking amongst us again!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to have you back from (what sounds like) a very dark place. Please take care of yourself, Laurent. I hope your family is with you and is very supporting in this process towards recovery.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Let me add my

<< <i>Welcome Back! >>

to the chorus. Concentrate on getting better, the other items are trivial compared to your recovery. You were missed because of your personalty.
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    What a solace to read missives from old friends!
    What comfort I take from your good advice!
    If friendship was gold, it's price would ascend
    to levels unthought of, to Galaxian heights.

Wait...isn't that happening right now?image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Hi Laurent,

It is great to hear from you and to know that you are well. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you recover from your addiction to painkillers. It is a very hard battle, but it is one you can win. I don't want to push so I will not PM you, but if you need support, advice, or just to talk please PM me at any time.

Again, it is great to see you posting again. Too many of us "old timers" aren't posting anymore, so when one of us comes back it is a happy day!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see that you are on the rebound. I wish you success in kicking your dependence on that poison.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    How's the recovery coming along, Laurent? I hope well.

Could you please donate all the money you're holding of mine to Cameron Kiefer's family? I'd appreciate that a lot.

Thanks, and continued prayers for you and your health.

Mike
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back and good luck with your recovery.
  • Options
    My thoughts are with you Laurent. Heres to a speedy recovery..

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I, myself, know the problems of this type of withdrawals from such a terrible drug. I had a family member who was addicted to this type of painkiller. It was painful to go through, but I will say that the family member in question was able to rebound quickly. Today, she is a much better person to deal with. Hopefully, your progress is much easier and faster than hers was. So, Good luck! -Dan
  • Options
    Went to lunch with Laurent last week and he seems to be doing pretty good considering all the problems he has. Welcome back to the fold big guy.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py