Home U.S. Coin Forum

Watermarks.....I ABSOLUTELY HATE 'EM

I really, really dislike it when anyone creates an image of a coin and then splashes a huge ugly watermark over the face of the image. Coins are art, images of coins are art and putting a watermark on them defaces them. I wouldn't cruise a dealer's site if they watermarked their coins with an obtrusive watermark and I bet it is not just a disencentive to me to view their coins.

My suspicions are that the person has good intentions - they're trying to keep their image from being used by an unscrupulous person who might try and defraud someone. Unfortunately, anyone who is bent on defrauding someone isn't going to be slowed down one bit by a watermarked image.

This is not to say that I am opposed to someone "signing" their work unobtrusively with their watermark - that is understandable.

Comments

• think of it as free advertisement image
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they are well done, it would still accomplish the photographers motivation
    and not disturb the viewer

ie
    Less obtrusive ,
    Less opaque
    LCoopie = Les
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as the coin doesn't arrive with the watermark on it, I don't blame the seller for protecting his image. Protects me, and others, from someone else trying to sell the same coin.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    yes....less obtrusive, more opaque
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692

<< <i>As long as the coin doesn't arrive with the watermark on it >>

That was funny.

<< <i>...I don't blame the seller for protecting his image. Protects me, and others, from someone else trying to sell the same coin. >>

I say respectfully and without malice that I've never heard someone say "Yeah, I had this great coin, the guy who sold the coin to me didn't watermark the image, someone stole the image, sold my coin to someone else and I had to give up my coin."

So, ........I can't "go there with you" because I don't wear a bullet proof vest when I am around my wife (you're spouse is more likely to shoot you than anyone else, however my spouse is 4500 miles away...)

and

I don't wear a helmet to protect myself from falling meteorites (it could happen you know...even when you're in the house...)

and

I don't wear a helmet when in a moving car (and depending on your reference point, even a parked car is traveling at about a thousand miles per hour......sudden unanticipated stoppage of the rotation of the earth could cause serious head trauma.)

So, you and I could still possibly be friends but only if we don't talk about religion, politics and the obtrusive watermarking of coins. ;0)
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot about wearing your tinfoil hat so the Government can't read your dirty thoughts image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some images without watermarks. Feel free to do whatever you wish with them. image
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I watermark all my images on ebay to keep people from stealing them. It isn't as important now as it used to be since lots of sellers have figured out how to take good photos. But I used to be one of the few sellers on ebay with good photos of moderns. It was very frustrating to find someone competing against you using your photograph.

I try to put the watermark tastefully on the slab. Often there is room on the slab under the label info or on the reverse label. It is suprising how often I get the question, "Do all of your slabs say "Carlsbad Eagle Trader"?" "Can I get one without your company name on it?" "How much does PCGS charge to put your name on the slab?"

---Jerry

<< <i>I say respectfully and without malice that I've never heard someone say "Yeah, I had this great coin, the guy who sold the coin to me didn't watermark the image, someone stole the image, sold my coin to someone else and I had to give up my coin." >>

You missed the point: Without a watermark on the picture it is easy for someone else to use the picture to sell a coin they don't have to me or someone else. Happens frequently.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

<< <i>Here are some images without watermarks. Feel free to do whatever you wish with them. image >>

Here's a couple more:

imageimage

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    some are HUGE and UGLY and with way too much opacity.

image with the OP on the HUGE and UGLY part
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I see that I move on-seriously only because what I do purchase I keep the photos from
    the auction, as if I bought the coin(s) the photos should be mine also.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Watermarks can definitely be annoying, but obviously it takes more time & photo skill to create a less intrusive watermark
  • derryb - within less than one-twentieth of a second of seeing that Gettysburg and Saint, I absolutely KNEW that I had owned those coins before.

• << <i>You missed the point: Without a watermark on the picture it is easy for someone else to use the picture to sell a coin they don't have to me or someone else. Happens frequently. >>

No, I didn't miss the point. I just didn't acknowledge your point.

I chose, instead, to tease you about the way you tried to make your point.......which I am sure you "got", because you are intelligent.

Now that I am explaining myself, the snarkiest thing you could say is....

"GOTCHA....AGAIN!"
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see a problem in the useof watermarks as a way for the photographer to in a way protect his/her photo. >>

There is a dealer who has started putting them on all of his pictures on the Internet. I emailed him and told him that they were distraction, and they were an impediment for me to do business with him over the web. He’s not removed them, so I guess this is an example of where the customer is not always right. At any rate it’s going to cost him business with me in the long run, so I hope he thinks it’s worth the lost sales to keep people from coping his images. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of them and have used them very sparingly. When you see others selling coins with your images or taking credit for you images you will likely have the desire to watermark. Over time you lose that urge but I can see why people do it.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also not a fan of watermarks.

I thought Adrian's business had some of the best photos going and it's a shame the site is no longer up.

Perhaps the old catalog of Brandon's Anaconda photos could be turned into BrandonViews with a little info (grade, cert#, etc.) image

<< <i>derryb - within less than one-twentieth of a second of seeing that Gettysburg and Saint, I absolutely KNEW that I had owned those coins before. >>

Thought you'd recognize them. Two of my favorites from your inventory. Saved bunch of other favorites while the website was up. By far the best visual website I ever visited. It brought back memories of the old Western Auto catalogues I used to drool over as a kid looking at assessories for my bicycle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file