Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should the Lucky Eleven™ be subsidizing the obscene profits to be made by the public on the ATB Bull

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I have not been following the ATB Bullion Coin issue too closely, so please correct me if I have some of the facts wrong. I understand there exist the Lucky Eleven™, who are private enterprises that are authorized distributors of US Mint bullion products. I believe there are pretty stringent requirements to become one of these eleven distributors, and these companies have to make significant purchases from the Mint, and tie up a lot of working capital in Mint bullion products.

I also understand that these Eleven™ are only allowed a profit of 10% over their cost on the ATB bullion coins, and they must sell the coins to members of the American public.

We have all seen that before the Mint put a collar around the profits that the Eleven™ were destined to make, the prices of these bullion coins reached obscene levels.

Assuming that things work as planned, the general hoi polloi (the American public) seem to stand to gain from the status of these Lucky Eleven™, in the sense that the Eleven™ have put out a substantial amount of money to make the ATB bullion purchases, but have a very limited upside (10%). The public, however, once these coins are in their hands, have the advantage of the low 33,000 piece mintage (which will never change), and will make an obscene profit on the resale of these coins on the backs of the Eleven™.

Now no one on these boards is more liberal than Longacre, and it tugs at my heartstrings that the US government is finally actively practicing the share-the-wealth concept with the public, but I am also a free marketer. Should the public at large be allowed to take advantage of the status of these Lucky Eleven™?

What do you think?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Point of order: two of the eleven AP's did not participate in the ATB program.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Point of order #2: If the prices of these coins have reached "obscene levels, they are not bullion coins.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Only the special insiders should be allowed to make obcene profits. The general population shouldn't make anything off their purchase of coins produced by their government which is paid for with their tax dollars.

I'm being sarcastic, of course.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe there are still eBay bidders when there is an eBay aution giving the contact info for the Lucky Nine™ and that auction has over 1400 page views, too!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Point of order.....just 'public' .. & not: the American public .....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Is there any way to order a set outside of ebay now?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wounder? How many don't have and can't get them but still have them on ebay???
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Point of order: Your assumption that the public are the ones actually getting these things is highly suspect. Anecdotal evidence shows the vast majority of the coins released so far have gone to the dealers and HSNs of the world. For the most part, with very few exceptions, the public has been shut out. There is LOTS of hanky-panky going on behind the scenes to get around the mint's restrictions...
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Point of order: Your assumption that the public are the ones actually getting these things is highly suspect. Anecdotal evidence shows the vast majority of the coins released so far have gone to the dealers and HSNs of the world. For the most part, with very few exceptions, the public has been shut out. There is LOTS of hanky-panky going on behind the scenes to get around the mint's restrictions... >>

I agree, it seems as many went out the HSN, CSN and the Coin Vault as was sold by the Gold Center to walk-ins on monday. They were "soul'd out" after 600 sets? They should have 3,000 sets. Some article quotes a GC person as saying they took care of their longtime customers and dealers first.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I can't believe there are still eBay bidders when there is an eBay aution giving the contact info for the Lucky Nine™ and that auction has over 1400 page views, too! >>

I can think of numerous reasons.
    a) uninformed ...
    b) the lemmings syndrome...(noted for periodic mass migrations that sometimes result in mass drownings.)
    c) coins are available & does not require to jump through numerous loops
    d) can use his cc
    e) may be entitled to eBay bucks & cash back from his credit card.
    f) doesn't give a hoot what the cost is...just wants a set of pucks
    g) suspects that they will substantially increase in value over time.

I'm sure I left out numerous more, but you're welcome to add to the list.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file