Home U.S. Coin Forum

The U.S. 1-cent ("penny") may be one step closer to its final demise

PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
In an interesting article in the most recent Coin World, it's very possible Canada will do away with its 1-cent coin. A couple of pertinent quotes from that article are: "The penny has simply outlived its purpose." and my favorite... "It is a piece of currency...that lacks currency."

We've talked this one to death on forums like this. However, I think now that our neighbors to the north are seriously mulling this one over, the U.S. Treasury and federal government might take notice on this issue.

It's long overdue. The "penny" is useless for cash transactions and its only purpose is to fill coin jars.

Personally, I'd like to see a pure decimal cash system (10-cent, 20-cent, 50-cent, 1 dollar) which would be highly efficient and more profitable for the Mint.

Comments

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Lincoln Cent may soon join the Kennedy Half Dollar as a struck for collectors coin.

You cant get rid of the billions out there, but you can stop making NEW ones, except for mint sets and numismatic sale.

The Lincoln cent will never be discontinued, though its purpose and issue may be changed.

no one will miss cents in general commerce for thirty years...... present supply is sufficent.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to see them go only because I like buying up boxes and bags of them from my banks and finding oldies and coppers. Otherwise they really can be a nuisance. Frankly nickels can go also, they have no real spending power anymore. The dime is the lowest value coin that has some usefulness.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • I don't know if "the present supply is sufficient" when the cent serves as a single use coin. Most of them end up in the gutter.
    Id say to only strike a collectors cent, from copper per original alloy, and make proofs for proof sets, and Uncirculateds for Mint sets. AND BY GOD>>>someone please at the mint get rid of those black pool spots!!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the cent. It's no longer cost effective to produce. Make them in copper for mint sets and proof sets for the collector market.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    We've talked this one to death on forums like this. However, I think now that our neighbors to the north are seriously mulling this one over, the U.S. Treasury and federal government might take notice on this issue. >>

I thought the same thing about the $1 and $2 coin, and look how little traction those have in the U.S. I agree that it amkes all sorts of sense, but I still don't see it happening for another generation or so.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

• << <i>Get rid of the cent. It's no longer cost effective to produce. Make them in copper for mint sets and proof sets for the collector market. >>

I enjoy collecting cents from circulation but I find myself agreeing with the above statement. The new product turns ugly so quick. For the most part they are junk unless you happen to be one of the first few that handle them.
  • Adios one cent. I will be collecting you now.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Its pretty simple. Just eliminate the cent and paper dollar, and use the freed up spot in the till for prez bucks. As inflation goes, then eliminate the nickle and use a "2 buck" coin. And on it goes....

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its pretty simple. Just eliminate the cent and paper dollar, and use the freed up spot in the till for prez bucks. As inflation goes, then eliminate the nickle and use a "2 buck" coin. And on it goes.... >>

image that make so much cent'se it will never be a government policy.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just came back from Australia which is decimal based and I loved it-- They don't have pennies or two cent coins anymore, just .5, .10. .20, .50, $1 and $2 coins. The 50 cent coins actually circulated, too!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Lincoln Cent may soon join the Kennedy Half Dollar as a struck for collectors coin.

You cant get rid of the billions out there, but you can stop making NEW ones, except for mint sets and numismatic sale.

The Lincoln cent will never be discontinued, though its purpose and issue may be changed.

no one will miss cents in general commerce for thirty years...... present supply is sufficent. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just came back from Australia which is decimal based and I loved it-- They don't have pennies or two cent coins anymore, just .5, .10. .20, .50, $1 and $2 coins. The 50 cent coins actually circulated, too! >>

I like this. And the reason the .50 piece circulates is it's practical. In the U.S. it isn't because two .25 pieces are easy enough.

The cent and the paper dollar should go. $1 and $2 coins are a good idea, as Canada has demonstrated.
    Lance.
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Our northern neighbors are brighter than us on this one. I just hope our government catches on and says...."Duh!"
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It never seems to occur to Congress that the problem isn't that pennies are worthless. They didn't get that way on their own - it is that the dollar is being destroyed. Pick your reasons why.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    Canadians had colored currency DECADES before us and dollar coins / $2 coins are in place. They see the writing on the wall as we do but their legislature ACTS on it.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    What is practicle to you is not of interest, what is of interest is that THEY make money on the cents they produce and all the coins that we dont use ammount to a large additional amount of free money for those issuing the coinage.
  • TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    Canada was also so broke at one point they used paintballs for their war games.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i'm not sure it's wise to copy other countries styles. look what happened to copying health care. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just came back from Australia which is decimal based and I loved it-- They don't have pennies or two cent coins anymore, just .5, .10. .20, .50, $1 and $2 coins. The 50 cent coins actually circulated, too! >>

Do they still have $5 coin? When I was there in the early 90's they had one.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    I was back in Austrailia and New Zealand before the Olympics in 2000 and loved their currency, especially the 20 cent piece and $2 coin. They came in handy at the gambling machines that were everywhere! Thought that the progressiveness at the time of the different colored and sized bills were a great idea also!
  • They make no sense (resisted the urge for a bad pun). They are a waste of time and money to make. I can see them sticking around as a collector's piece though. I think the nickel should be out as well. I'd like to see 10c, 25c, 50c, $1 and $2.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I always find this topic interesting so I went back to 1914 to see what the purchasing power of our currency then would buy today. Why? 1914, because it was the first year of our modern banking system with the creation of the FED.

2009------1914
    $0.10----- $0.005
    $0.25----- $0.01
    $0.50----- $0.02
    $1.00----- $0.05
    $2.00----- $0.09
    $5.00----- $0.23
    $10.00----$0.45
    $20.00----$0.90
    $22.10----$1.00

In 2009 a dime is the equivalent of a half-cent in 1914 currency
    Likewise, in 2009 you would need $22.10 to meet the buying power equivalent of a single dollar in 1914.

In 1857 the U.S. ceased production of the half-cent b/c it was worthless and deemed unnecessary. Today you would need 10 pennies just to match the historic value of the half cent!

I am all for converting to a decimal system beginning with $0.10, eliminating the rag buck and $2 bill, replacing them with coins.

Cheers!

Kirk
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is practicle to you is not of interest, what is of interest is that THEY make money on the cents they produce and all the coins that we dont use ammount to a large additional amount of free money for those issuing the coinage. >>

uh....wrong....
    The Treasury is losing money on both 1-cent and 5-cent coins.
    A blast from the far distant past may work today.

n 1783 a remarkable group of pattern coins made its appearance: the "bit" of 100 units, the "quint" of 500 units, and the "mark" of 1,000 units.

If we make the "bit" 12 1/2 cents, the "quint" 62 1/2 cents, and the "mark' $1.25.....that would pretty well take care of coinage needs,

Are we tied to the word "dollar" too much to change from it?
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...i'm not sure it's wise to copy other countries styles. look what happened to copying health care. image >>

oh no you di'int! image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Lets drop the size of the nickel to the size of the old half dime. Then we could keep it around a few more years.

The cent might still be ok if it was dropped to the size of the 3c silver.

It is traditional to change the size as needed.
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always find this topic interesting so I went back to 1914 to see what the purchasing power of our currency then would buy today. Why? 1914, because it was the first year of our modern banking system with the creation of the FED.

2009------1914
    $0.10----- $0.005
    $0.25----- $0.01
    $0.50----- $0.02
    $1.00----- $0.05
    $2.00----- $0.09
    $5.00----- $0.23
    $10.00----$0.45
    $20.00----$0.90
    $22.10----$1.00

In 2009 a dime is the equivalent of a half-cent in 1914 currency
    Likewise, in 2009 you would need $22.10 to meet the buying power equivalent of a single dollar in 1914.

In 1857 the U.S. ceased production of the half-cent b/c it was worthless and deemed unnecessary. Today you would need 10 pennies just to match the historic value of the half cent!

I am all for converting to a decimal system beginning with $0.10, eliminating the rag buck and $2 bill, replacing them with coins.

Cheers!

Kirk >>

So this is interesting. A beat up Morgan dollar is worth about - $22.10 -- the same figure as Kirk shows above using the inflation since 1914!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file