Home U.S. Coin Forum

When white was king........silver that is.

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone still have a dealer in their town that pretty much dips every silver coin they receive that is AU55 or higher? I know a shop that seems to have an inordinate amount of white silver coins. I know that white was in at one time. Are these dealers just stuck in the past?
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure it's a thing of the past.

From what I've seen on Ebay, some people get more for dipped AU's than they do for unmolested coins.
    There will always be people who want white coins even in lower circulated grades.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree. -Dan
  • Didn't NGC put a W for white on their holders for classification? I seem to remember reading something about that.

Tom
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly no, it still happens.
    I picked out a nice unc. Peace Dollar (with a little Color/tone that I liked) from our only real B&M here and before I could object, it was taken out of the case and dipped before being given to me. I guess that's been a few years ago they're still in business.

• Check with Ricko ! image
  • I go to a shop a couple times a month that EVERY Common-Date Morgan that is VF or better has had a bath. And then nearly any XF or better, regardless of date is dipped.

• << <i>EVERY Common-Date Morgan that is VF or better has had a bath. And then nearly any XF or better, regardless of date is dipped. >>

Isn't there a 12-step program for that? Really, I think PCGS should sue these guys. image
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cycle, isn't it? Ricko -- whose words I implicitly trust, told me that tarnish is just a fad. Blast white will be back. Count on it.
    Lance.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contrary to what one sees on here (and other coin boards, for that matter) white is STILL the king as far as the average collector is concerned. As long as that is true dealers will continue to give their buyers what they want.

AND THEY SHOULD!
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could care less if it is white or toned. I just want my coins original, which usually means some color or crust, but not always. I have met both white and toned coins that I have invited home.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    A lot of b/m dealers still dip all silver coins to make them totally white. They're not stuck in the past. Sophisticated coin collectors appreciate originality in their coins but to the average person who walks in and browses it's the completely white and shiny coins that grabs their attention. To a non-collector originality/ toning equals tarnish, and tarnish is undesirable.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of b/m dealers still dip all silver coins to make them totally white. They're not stuck in the past. Sophisticated coin collectors appreciate originality in their coins but to the average person who walks in and browses it's the completely white and shiny coins that grabs their attention. To a non-collector originality/ toning equals tarnish, and tarnish is undesirable. >>

Agree. I've had B&M coin dealers tell me that they hate to dip the common date inexpensive silver coins but that's the only way that they can sell them to the casual collector. They keep the more expensive coins original since they are usually bought by the more sophisticated collectors.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "...usually bought by the more sophisticated collectors."

So now, one's personal preference may preclude one from being 'sophisticated'? That is pure rubbish. I usually have great respect for your posts, but you need to rethink that one. Cheers, RickO

• altering a coin by dipping is wrong, just leave them alone. If the coin isnt attractive looking to you without having to dip it, dont buy it.
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>altering a coin by dipping is wrong, just leave them alone. If the coin isnt attractive looking to you without having to dip it, dont buy it. >>

How do you convey that advice to the novice collector who never walked into a B&M before, and never heard of this forum?

I'm in the camp with OKbustchaser and WTCG - in fact, in my early days of collecting, I avoided toned coins thinking there was some sort of tarnish on them, and I wanted a nice white coin. That told me, at the time, the white coin was in fabulous condition for such an old (Morgan) coin, and I interpreted that to mean it was in better condition. Somehow, the toned or otherwise non-white coins seemed dirty and old and unattractive.

Of course, I learned early on the reality of this mistaken perspective, mostly from a fortuitous and completely randomly selected coin forum to which I currently subscribe...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipping is NOT wrong... some collectors do not like it and avoid dipped coins, however, it is NOT wrong, and is accepted by TPG's and multitudes of collectors. Cheers, RickO

• << <i>Dipping is NOT wrong... some collectors do not like it and avoid dipped coins, however, it is NOT wrong, and is accepted by TPG's and multitudes of collectors. Cheers, RickO >>

so lets say you had a classic car that had all original paint, and stripped it, then repainted it. think itll gain any value? image

But thats JMO, if it tickles your fancy, tickle away image

• << <i>

<< <i>altering a coin by dipping is wrong, just leave them alone. If the coin isnt attractive looking to you without having to dip it, dont buy it. >>

How do you convey that advice to the novice collector who never walked into a B&M before, and never heard of this forum?

I'm in the camp with OKbustchaser and WTCG - in fact, in my early days of collecting, I avoided toned coins thinking there was some sort of tarnish on them, and I wanted a nice white coin. That told me, at the time, the white coin was in fabulous condition for such an old (Morgan) coin, and I interpreted that to mean it was in better condition. Somehow, the toned or otherwise non-white coins seemed dirty and old and unattractive.

Of course, I learned early on the reality of this mistaken perspective, mostly from a fortuitous and completely randomly selected coin forum to which I currently subscribe... >>

silver as reactive as it is to oxidation, how do you think it would stay blast white for over 200 years? The only possible way was if it was in an airtight holder.
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Of course, I learned early on the reality of this mistaken perspective, mostly from a fortuitous and completely randomly selected coin forum to which I currently subscribe... >>

silver as reactive as it is to oxidation, how do you think it would stay blast white for over 200 years? The only possible way was if it was in an airtight holder. >>

Yes, silver is reactive and will tone over time. So does silverware. To the average collector both should have the tarnish removed. As they gain experience in the hobby natural toning will either become more attractive to them or it won't. Either way, there is no reason whatsoever why a dealer shouldn't supply his average buyer with what that average buyer wants.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dipping is NOT wrong... some collectors do not like it and avoid dipped coins, however, it is NOT wrong, and is accepted by TPG's and multitudes of collectors. Cheers, RickO >>

so lets say you had a classic car that had all original paint, and stripped it, then repainted it. think itll gain any value? image

But thats JMO, if it tickles your fancy, tickle away image >>

No - it would be more like giving that old classic a car wash to clean off the dust. Dipped coins aren't altered, IMO.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • ricko bathes in dip

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file