Home U.S. Coin Forum

To prevent all the Alts and trolls, I think PCGS should mandate that the "View User's Profile" is visible to anyone that logs in to these forums. It should require a real name, a real e-mail address and should be validated before you are given rights to write to these forums. Unvalidated users can read all they want... What say you?
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• mattnissmattniss Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the thought, but what's to stop someone from creating a fake email address with any email service provider and signing up here, then receiving the confirmation email to their fake account and clicking the validation link? Still stuck at square one.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should I give potential thieves a map to my house, the combination to my safe, and photos of me in a compromising situation, as well?
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Validation would include, name, location, e-mail, etc.

Posting on this forum is a privilege, not a right.

If you wish to play, be willing to give a little to get a little.

<< <i>Should I give potential thieves a map to my house, the combination to my safe, and photos of me in a compromising situation, as well? >>

A shrink should help you with your paranoia. image It doesn't have to include anything more than your name (first), your location (country), etc. They can still contact you via PM. However, PCGS would need the required info to validate you are who you think you are (or in your case, who's following you too). image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should I give potential thieves a map to my house, the combination to my safe, and photos of me in a compromising situation, as well? >>

Yes please. I got lost last week and I think I was pretty close. I wasn't sure if you were the white doublewide or the slightly tan doublewide and didn't want to roll the wrong one.
    Thanks image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    A nice idea but it does invite spam.

<< <i>A nice idea but it does invite spam. >>

You would only be able to contact another member via PM, so unless the spammer has a validated user ID, they wouldn't be able to access your users profile.
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Validation would include, name, location, e-mail, etc.

Posting on this forum is a privilege, not a right.

If you wish to play, be willing to give a little to get a little. >>

Fortunately, you do not make the rules here image . -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK do you mean to tell me that there ARE compromising photos of you and ??????
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RYK do you mean to tell me that there ARE compromising photos of you and ?????? >>

What happens in the 'Burgh, stays in the 'Burgh! image

Go Steelers!
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he hides TSA scans in his safe
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took my email down because I was receiveing spam generated from it being there.

<< <i>I took my email down because I was receiveing spam generated from it being there. >>

If you sold me those coins I wanted, I would have stopped e-mailing you... let it go! image

If only validated members could view your e-mail address, it should stop the spam. However, if you post it in your sigline, well...
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Go Steelers!

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Go Steelers!

image >>

Just where do you want them to go to?!image
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692

I gotta admit, the 'photos' part made me literally chuckle out loud. Good one, and yes, requiring us to reveal our real names isn't a very good idea.

Your's truly,

Ebenezer Rumplestilskin

<< <i>

I gotta admit, the 'photos' part made me literally chuckle out loud. Good one, and yes, requiring us to reveal our real names isn't a very good idea.

Your's truly,

Ebenezer Rumplestilskin >>

You do realize registering your website provides more information about you than this forum would/could... correct?
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This "suggestion" comes up...over and over again.
    Most people are against it. Not because of anything to hide but because of potential problems associated with it.

Also, the forum software likely can't do the policing that you are suggesting.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't need the email spam that would soon follow.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• << <i>To prevent all the Alts and trolls, I think PCGS should mandate that the "View User's Profile" is visible to anyone that logs in to these forums. It should require a real name, a real e-mail address and should be validated before you are given rights to write to these forums. Unvalidated users can read all they want... What say you? >>

Ah settle down! Here we go again for suggestions for " improving" the boards. I dont see many problems here. Nothing is perfect. If you put too many restrictions on posting here the boards will wither and die. I am here to discuss coins. Are there some problems ? Yeah. But so what. These boards are great!

• << <i>

<< <i>Go Steelers!

image >>

Just where do you want them to go to?!image >>

All the way, just like RYK in the photos of him in a compromising situation image
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGs could require all those who want to be members......to stop by their booths............

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    I am a troll and can read minds.
    Validation of the bridge I live under is none of your concern.
    Beware the boogie man under your bed.

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say nay.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrandAm :)
  • Everyone should have to do this but me. image

I actually find that a few morons keep the teeth sharp and the aggression directed. Reminds me a little of the real world.

A good neighborhood learns how to keep it's trash out.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Trolls and alts who are trolls soon make their presence known and are quickly dispatched by the moderators. I get enough spam already so I don't want to publish my e-mail address. Also, for security reasons, most of us here don't want our home address published.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>

<< <i>Go Steelers!

image >>

To the Super Bowl of course!

Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the forum alone.... it is fine the way it is. Cheers, RickO
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the thought, but really, in this day and age of masked IP's, etc it would be next to impossible to do.

Frankly the real kicker would be for PCGS to pursue legal action against people who troll the forum, defame PCGS via libelous statements here, and on other boards or funeral home guestbooks etc. Do that just a few times and the nonsense will stop. Of course I am thinking of that person in Los Angeles that fancies itself as an actor etc.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...the same thought went thru my mind. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Go Steelers!

image >>

...hopefully the super bowl!!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file