Home U.S. Coin Forum

I've started a US Commem collection

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
After 8+ years of collecting Canadian and World coins, I decided to start a US Commem 50c collection. I've always liked these halves and with prices the way they are, I thought now was as good a time as any to start. Due to financial restraints, I want to keep the coins at MS60-63. The two MS64 coins were picked up for under MS63 Bid.

My imaging isn't very proficient, but I think the Cleveland coin is way undergraded. The person I received the Vermont coin from is convinced it is a MS65 but with the huge jump in value between MS64 and MS65 on the coin, I think MS64 is correct. Aslo, do you think the Vermont was dipped and not properly rinsed?

Any comments on the coins are welcomed.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• You are going to have a blast. One of the most fun collections to assemble. Good luck to you and be careful that you don't buy overly splotchy coins unless they are real pretty.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Have fun.image
    Becky
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins. I really like the Oregon and I agree that the Cleveland looks undergraded.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago I completed my commem set; all in old rattlers. That was
    the most fun I ever had putting a set together. Ya gotta love the hunt.

Cheers,

Bob
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not all that easy to find slabbed coins in MS63 and lower. Especially since I will only pay under Bid for a coin. All the coins I've bought so far have been for under Bid. I haven't looked at the population reports but it seems just by looking at eBay, TeleTrade, and dealers' inventory, most of the coins are slabbed MS64 or MS65.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than saying MS60-63, go with the "bang for the buck" grades, which are the highest grade in the flat part of the price curve. For some issues that will be MS63 (Sesqui, Monroe), for some it will be MS66 (Iowa, Norfolk). This is what I'm doing (see registry set in my sig line). There are only a precious few that have much price difference between MS60 and 63. Good luck! These coins are fun to collect, as they have some awesome designs, the likes of which will never again be on our coinage.
  • Good for you!! The commems are what got me started coin collecting again and they are a lot of fun. You have some nice pieces there but try not to buy too many at first, your tastes in what you like might very well change as you go along.
  • The Cleveland, Maine and Oregon are all undergraded. I also collect Commems though only the ones I like. I find the series probably the most inconsistently graded of any series. You find a lot of junk in 65 and 66 holders and some real nice stuff in 62 and 63. Before you buy each one though look at a lot of examples so you see what a good strike looks like. Lost of nice designs but they need to be fully struck and the TPG's seem to ignore strike when they grade these coins. Good luck and have fun! image
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I hope RYK does not read this, but I think some of the modern commemoratives are attractive and dirt, dirt cheap. I think collecting a theme would be nice, such as Washington DC buildings.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

• << <i>I hope RYK does not read this, but I think some of the modern commemoratives are attractive and dirt, dirt cheap. I think collecting a theme would be nice, such as Washington DC buildings. >>

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm working on a complete type set of commemoratives, but simce I'm down to the two $50 gold Pan-Pac coins I'm sort of in between a rock and a hard place. image

First of all the market for these coins has been quiet for a while so I think they offer some real opportunities. Also you should look at the "spread" between grades. Sometimes the price difference an MS-63 and an MS-65 is so small that buying the lower grade coin does not make sense unless it is a super bargain.

If I might, may I give you some advice what you have purchased? Maybe I can help you with your future purchases.

Columbian - Looks like a nice attractive piece, but it has been dipped. Some people like that; others don't. Most original Columbians tend to be darkly toned.

Washington - Carver - This coin is original, BUT I don't care for this sort of dark toning, and a lot of other collectors don't care for it either. I'd look for a white (untoned) coin for this type.

Vermont - This coin has also been dipped and some of the dipping solution was not properly removed after the procedure. The toning you see here is the result of that. It might be done toning, or it could keep going. When I see a "white" coin like this, I look to see if the coin is in an "old holder." White and old holder means the coin is stable.

Sesqui - This coin was struck in very low relief and often is not very attractive. MS-63 is a decent grade, and this coin is okay for the type. I have a very nice MS-64 in my set, but I bought it five or six years ago when the prices were much higher. I don't mind since I'm not looking to sell, but I think prices on this coin have gone about low as they ought to go.

San Diego - This is one of the those commemoratives that has a small spread going up into the higher grades. Given your budget, you could have had a nice MS-65 for the type for $150 or so. This coin tends to come in high grade. An MS-64 would have cost you very little more.

Pilgrim - The coin has been dipped and appears to be a little dull. The last grade before prices really go up is MS-64, and that was my target grade with I was working on my set.

Oregon - Dipped with sort of an odd, shiney luster which explains the MS-62 grade despite at lack of marks.

Maine - Unfortunately this coin has been way over dipped which has left it with a dull, washed out finish. I don't think that PCGS or NGC would have graded this, which is one of the reasons why I tend to stick with the "big two" companies. Generally I prefer PCGS graded commemorative coins.

Cleveland - This coin looks better than an MS-62, but it has been dipped which may have affected the luster. Mark-wise it's nice, but the luster might be slightly impaired with accounts for the MS-62. Generally dipped coins are never graded higher than MS-64 by the "big two."

Arkansas - Looks to be a decent example of the type. This is not my favorite commemorative when it comes to design. I'd say you won't need to ever think of upgrading those one unless you are going for an "ultra grade" registry set.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Have fun, Ajaan. Sawasdee!

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Filam,

Sawasdee bee mai

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy it, they are the best and most fun to make a collection!!!!!!

However, know you are "all-in" for a complete type set, at least, once you buy a Hudson. That's the "line in the sand," historically among those commem collectors I know, that turned them into seriously dedicated individuals to finish and continuously improve their sets.

Good luck. Anytime you need advice, PM me.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun. I enjoyed collecting those early commems.
    I thought they were a bargins years ago. They still are!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

• My favorite series. I managed 74 of the 144 before I came to the conclusion that my age and money were against me. Best of luck with your collecting.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun set, Enjoy.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is a very fun series to put together. it looks like your off to a decent start wtg image
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with golfer that they are very inconsistently graded. The two worst that I've noticed are Sesqui's and the BTW/WC series. Sometimes I think BTWs are randomly assigned grades from 63-66 and the graders don't actually look at them. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file