Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question for Coin Collectors

My mom recently passed away and when we went thru her stuff, we came across a lot of coins. A lot of these are proof sets, from 1978 and later, as well as a lot of the commemorative sets (some from Liberia). I'm guessing she did a lot of those infomercial buys. There are also some loose coins, including some older silver dollars (1920's) and also some silver certificate bills. I don't think anything is worth more than $50 and most are probably $5-$20 range (my nephew scoured e-bay to try to see what a lot of the stuff was selling for).

Anyway, we are trying to figure out what to do with all these, as no one in the family really collects coins. I know we can take them to a coin dealer, but probably get about half what they are worth. Just trying to figure out another option (or find a really good coin dealer to work with). All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks-

Bart

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof sets and common silver dollars can be sold for enough at a coin shop to
    not warrant much effort to maximize price. Liberian stuff is hit and miss with
    some being underpriced but most being common.

Better material of any type is usually not to be sold at a coin shop.
    Tempus fugit.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss! image

How about posting some pics of the coins here?
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Your best bet is to try to sell anything you don't want to keep on eBay - provided you have the time and patience to manage all of the auctions.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is a local coin club in your area, go to a meeting and ask around to see if anyone who can be trusted, is interested.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the ideas so far. My oldest brother has all the coins at his place, so I don't have any to scan and post anywhere a the present time. I do have a call into an individual with a local coin club and am hoping he will return my call soon.

Bart
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A trusted friend who is a coin collector or a dealer here on the forum (the trustworthy ones are well known) could help. Cheers, RickO
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your mom.image
    Becky
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my condolances about your mom. image best wishes
  • Sorry about your loss. Though, the collection itself sounds quite common. Don't expect to be paid much for your collection. Remember that what a coin sells on ebay is often inflated. Better held as numismatic timepieces and memories rather than cash value - which for your collection seems like very little
  • I would go and buy a Red Book before you sell anything to anyone (mostly dealers) because they won't give you jack for them.Check the prices in the book and use your own judgement on the price you want to get for the stuff instead of giving it away..Sorry about your misfortune..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file