Home Sports Talk
Options

Philly vs Green Bay

Last year's Green Bay/Arizona matchup was a shootout of epic proportions. I doubt this will be that high scoring. But, this is THE game to watch in the first round. ANYTHING could happen!!!
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Let's go Pack!
  • Options
    Interesting match up for sure.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Packers 51
    Eagles 3
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Eags will be 3 pt favs...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eags will be 3 pt favs... >>

I think that's about right...possibly 3 1/2 or 4.

Starters should be nice and rested, and I think the Eagles find a way to get it done.

Eagles win by 6 points.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    eagles are just to scary for us packers fans.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Did the Pack play all their starters vs. da Bears at home Sunday?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understood correctly the Packers had to win to get in so they indeed played their starters to the finish. The Bears did also although they were in regardless.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Both teams played all of their starters
  • Options
    ESPN currently shows Philly favored by 3 points.

It also shows that these teams haven't played each other in 7 years.

Of the four matchups this weekend, Philadelphia / Green Bay is clearly the one with both the most pedigreed and celebrated teams historically, and lots of star power today. If you can only see one game, watch this one.

• Options

<< <i>ESPN currently shows Philly favored by 3 points.

It also shows that these teams haven't played each other in 7 years.

Of the four matchups this weekend, Philadelphia / Green Bay is clearly the one with both the most pedigreed and celebrated teams historically, and lots of star power today. If you can only see one game, watch this one. >>

Who can forget that catch by Freddie Mitchell.
  • Options

<< <i>Who can forget that catch by Freddie Mitchell. >>

Not Eagles fans. 4th down-and-26.

What did Freddie like to say? "I'd like to thank my hands for being so great". image

Regarding my last post in this thread - of course, the Eagles played the Packers the first game of this past regular season. That's when they lost and Kolb was relieved by Vick. But that game the Eagles wore retro unis. They wouldn't lose to the Pack this Sunday in contempo unis. image
  • Options
    Only a GB homer would even think the Pack has a chance against Vick.
  • Options
    It should be a great game with a ton of offense. That being said watch it be a very good defensive battle.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Who can forget that catch by Freddie Mitchell. >>

Not Eagles fans. 4th down-and-26.

What did Freddie like to say? "I'd like to thank my hands for being so great". image

Regarding my last post in this thread - of course, the Eagles played the Packers the first game of this past regular season. That's when they lost and Kolb was relieved by Vick. But that game the Eagles wore retro unis. They wouldn't lose to the Pack this Sunday in contempo unis. image >>

Freddie had great hands, problem was, and it was obvious the first time I saw him play, he was too slow for the NFL to be a #1 receiver - he didn't have the game speed to get open in the situation and time frame needed. He was half decent as a #3 receiver, especially when the pass protection broke down and McNabb was scrambling, and the cover guys get a little confused, then Freddie could get open. Problem was he really wanted only to be a #1 receiver and geez did he have a big mouth...which most coaches won't tolerate unless you are a big star on the team. Reid might have kept him on if not for his mouth...considering what talent he had, his mouth wasn't worth it - half decent #3 receivers are a dime a dozen in the NFL, and most keep their mouths shut.
  • Options
    Now the line has narrowed to the Eagles being only a 2.5 point favorite. Gasp!

Andy Reid is being widely quoted as saying that "I haven't been through this with them" regarding preparing his young team for the playoffs. Panic!

Suddenly it seems like a giant problem that the Eagles still don't know whom is starting at Right Corner. Sheldon Brown was traded and Ellis Hobbs is hurt. This problem isn't new. We're dead!

I'm not saying my Eagles are going to win. It's that speculation and hype is funny - and that's all this is.
  • Options
    I think it comes down to how healthy Vick is.
  • Options

<< <i>Now the line has narrowed to the Eagles being only a 2.5 point favorite. Gasp!

Andy Reid is being widely quoted as saying that "I haven't been through this with them" regarding preparing his young team for the playoffs. Panic!

Suddenly it seems like a giant problem that the Eagles still don't know whom is starting at Right Corner. Sheldon Brown was traded and Ellis Hobbs is hurt. This problem isn't new. We're dead!

I'm not saying my Eagles are going to win. It's that speculation and hype is funny - and that's all this is. >>

Don't sweat it - Eagles win the game by 6 points or more.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭
    GB is going to take a page out of Minnesota's playbook and beat the Eagles. They'll harass Vick the entire game.
  • Options
    A couple of things -

The Eagles o-line is no better than they were weeks ago when the Giants began the exposure in their first meeting. This started a pattern of teams flushing Vick to the right, where he has trouble throwing. Vick has become a little better at this and Reid has some plays to help answer to this weakness. However the o-line just is not good enough to protect him. If McNabb was still in Philly or Kolb was the regular QB one of them would have been broken in half by now. Vick's style has saved the offense but this lasts only so long. Answer? Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball!!!! 5-10 more running plays would keep the defense guessing.

The Eagles secondary is a mess. Look for Patterson to be trashed by Rogers time and again this week and Mikell will do no better as a replacement. With no safety better than Coleman they are in trouble. The loss of Nate Allen is noticeable and DE Brandon Graham being out hurts too. Answer? The Packers will pass at will, everyone else has.

Result? Packers win by 10.

Sorry Eagles fans but they don't have the horses this week. Get the young guys healthy and we'll get 'em next year.

Unless of course Reid has been sandbagging for the last few weeks. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    JETS JETS JETS!!!

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>JETS JETS JETS!!! >>

Are you grote15's alt ID? image
  • Options

Winpitcher's alt is -

canilickyourprettyfeet?

• Options

<< <i>

Winpitcher's alt is -

canilickyourprettyfeet?

image >>

I happen to like Rex Ryan, I guess mainly because I liked Buddy Ryan.

That being said, if the Jets meet the Eagles in the Super Bowl, I be rooting against him as if he were Jerry Jones. LOL
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I am no Eagles fan, but if it is Jets/Eagles? Man that would be tough. I can't stand Vick. But I really think Andy Reid is a class act. If it was McNabb I would pull for the Eagles in a heartbeat. But with Vick... But, the Super Bowl is a long way aways and I am still holding faith that my Saints can find a way to overcome all of the injuries and get it done again.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I am no Eagles fan, but if it is Jets/Eagles? Man that would be tough. I can't stand Vick. But I really think Andy Reid is a class act. If it was McNabb I would pull for the Eagles in a heartbeat. But with Vick... But, the Super Bowl is a long way aways and I am still holding faith that my Saints can find a way to overcome all of the injuries and get it done again. >>

Philly has never taken 100% to Andy Reid perhaps because before him we had some colorful, well liked coaches such as Dick Vermeil and Buddy Ryan. But regardless of what any Philly fan thinks about Andy Reid, he is a winner, and I'll gladly take that because I also remember deadhead losing head coaches such as Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes, and a bunch of others.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am no Eagles fan, but if it is Jets/Eagles? Man that would be tough. I can't stand Vick. But I really think Andy Reid is a class act. If it was McNabb I would pull for the Eagles in a heartbeat. But with Vick... But, the Super Bowl is a long way aways and I am still holding faith that my Saints can find a way to overcome all of the injuries and get it done again. >>

Philly has never taken 100% to Andy Reid perhaps because before him we had some colorful, well liked coaches such as Dick Vermeil and Buddy Ryan. But regardless of what any Philly fan thinks about Andy Reid, he is a winner, and I'll gladly take that because I also remember deadhead losing head coaches such as Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes, and a bunch of others. >>

Reid has to win the big one.
  • Options
    well that was fun...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thrilling finish...if that GB defender doesn't trip up DJ on that pass, we're probably looking at a Philly win..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Thrilling finish...if that GB defender doesn't trip up DJ on that pass, we're probably looking at a Philly win.. >>

There are alot of "if's" in the Eagles history.
  • Options
    if jones would have caught that TD pass in his hands at the end of the half there might not have even been much of a second half charge.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    if jones would have caught that TD pass in his hands at the end of the half there might not have even been much of a second half charge.

True, but on the other hand, if Akers doesn't miss two FGs and if D-Jax isnt tripped up on that catch on the last drive, the Eagles win...that's all part of the game..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    well if pigs had wings. you can go on forever. what if rodgers had faith to throw to jones to start the second half rather than double clutching and getting stripped.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    well if pigs had wings. you can go on forever

That was my point...glad you agree..

• Options
    As a Falcons hater, I particularly enjoy that with the NFL's lame policy of not reseeding teams in the playoffs based upon record, the Falcons play the 6th seed Packers while the Bears get the higher seed, the Seahawks. What a reward for the Falcons for finishing with the NFC's best record. They get to play a team with a 10-6 record, while the Bears get a 7-9 team that is a horrible road team.
  • Options
    Being an Eagles fan, of course I wanted them to win today. However, I've been in a strange spot all year since I have a hard time pulling for a recidivist thug like Michael Vick. Consequently, when Vick threw the INT today to effectively end the game, I did not experience that sense of forlorn hollowness that I usually should. Associating with Vick is bad karma and classless.

Integrity should always be more important than winning. Right now, the Philadelphia Eagles have neither.
  • Options

<< <i>Being an Eagles fan, of course I wanted them to win today. However, I've been in a strange spot all year since I have a hard time pulling for a recidivist thug like Michael Vick. Consequently, when Vick threw the INT today to effectively end the game, I did not experience that sense of forlorn hollowness that I usually should. Associating with Vick is bad karma and classless.

Integrity should always be more important than winning. Right now, the Philadelphia Eagles have neither. >>

Well said.
  • Options
    Congrats to the Packers and their good fans.
  • Options
    How does one 'hate' the Falcons? I am from New Orleans and grew up a Saints fan. Although I went to lots of games as a little kid, the first one I remember going to in which I knew the rules of football and knew who the players were was the opening game in 1973 at the Sugar Bowl against Atlanta. What I remember is that we were down 31-0 before you blinked and that the Falcons kept pouring it on until the final score was 62-7, even to the point of continuing to pour it on in the last few minutes of a blowout. We have played them twice a year for over forty years. They are our biggest rival. We have lost on the last play of the game to them several times. They beat us in the playoffs in 1991. And yes, we have hurt them too. I was at the game in 1976 when Bartkowski got knocked out for the season. They beat us the first nine times we played. Since then it has been even at 37-37, so the final tally is at 46-37. Hopefully, the Falcons can go in the tank and we can get a little closer to evening it up.
  • Options
    A thread with this title appears remiss without at least someone acknowledging the most significant game in this matchup's history. That is the 1960 NFL Championship Game, where the Eagles won it all. The game featured Eagles Hall Of Famers Chuck Bednarik, Tommy McDonald, and Norm Van Brocklin at Franklin Field in Philadelphia.

Sports historians note it as a key event in football history. The Champion Eagles handed legendary Vince Lombardi his only playoff loss ever. The Eagles won 17-13.

Yes, the Eagles don't need a Super Bowl Trophy, it's not good enough for them. That's because they beat the man that the trophy is named for! image

Is this important and proud for the Eagles? Yes.
    Is this clinging to the past? Yes.
    Is this all the Eagles have right now? Feels that way, yes. image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Eagle fans don't know who to blame this one on now that McNabb is gone. I suggested to my bro-in-law that it was VickNabbs fault.