Home U.S. Coin Forum

ATTN Lowball Collectors: Value of 1894-P Morgan in P01 or FR02

Well the title says it all. I was brought in an 1894-P Morgan in which the date could easily have been confused for an 1884, but has the diagnostic die-marks on the reverse. Should this be something sent in to PCGS for the Lowball Registry Set Collectors? What would an approximate value be?
Thank you!

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1894-P is one of the toughest dates to find in super-low grades. There's only one FA02 and there are no PO01. Still, I think there would be a big value difference between the two. My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that a Fair would be worth VG money ($1100 or so) and a Poor would be worth AU money ($1500).

It's definitely worth sending in for grading... and good luck!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Wow... I would not have thought that high.
    I do realize those are just guesses. I will hopefully be getting that sent in this week or next.
    Thank you!
  • if thats the case what is one worth with XF details that has been harshly cleaned in an NGC holder?
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    remember when sending in a PO or FR coin that it has to be problem free and no deep scratches or rim dings!

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

<< <i>remember when sending in a PO or FR coin that it has to be problem free and no deep scratches or rim dings!
    Tom >>

Right! Those, and cleaning and graffiti, are what make 'making' super-low grade coins so very difficult!
    When in doubt, don't.

<< <i>if thats the case what is one worth with XF details that has been harshly cleaned in an NGC holder? >>

Half to one-third of XF money.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Well on 04/25/2018 PCGS confirmed and graded the first 1894-P PO01. It was a long journey but through persevering it paid off. The doubling of the motto and the VAM-3 PUP are the two basic confirmation areas that a grader would need to verify its authenticity with. A grade of PO01 regardless of date or mint is extremely tough. With so many counterfeit examples flooding the markets because of the premium associated with the coin TPG services are extremely skeptical. To be on the safe side the coin was also imaged and referenced.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I can assure you it would not be a coin I would be searching for, just surprised at the interest that these engender. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file