Home U.S. Coin Forum

1921 Peace -- Guess the grade! **Grade Revealed**

Picked this little beauty up on my recent trip. Has a great look and have always wanted to add one of these to my type set.

What grade would you say PCGS gave her?

imageimage

The Slab:

Comments

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    MS62
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm terrible with Peace dollars.

MS62?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Wow great strike! 64 maybe?
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I'd grade it MS-64...but I could also see it in a 65 holder. It's an above average strike for a '21, nice coin image
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 or MS64. Just a guess. We need better pics.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I'd say 64. Nice coin and a killer strike!!

-Paul
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS 62/63... Cheers, RickO
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I'd think 64. A very nice strike too.
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Very nice looking, I think the graded it 63 due to subdued luster, could be higher depending how it looks in had vs. the pics.
  • The only thing that hurts that one in my eyes is that distracting spot left of 1. It really affects one's eye-movement through the coin. It's a technical MS-64 all the way, though; a gem, if that luster isn't as muted as it looks. Certainly that strike seals at least a MS-64 market grade on it.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very distracting (from picture) graze to luster on cheek/face. Nice strike though, I would go 63.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Unc-62 or 63. Too many scrapes and dings for anything higher. Slightly above average strike (based only on the photos).
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...63 image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    64 even with the what seems to be a hit to the field left of the cheek.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    62/63
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good strike, but a few flaws on the tiarra and obverse field. I would guess MS63.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • BithrateBithrate Posts: 555 ✭✭
    MS63 - I think this is fairly graded. Original post updated with image of slab.
  • 64 by the photos. Gotta remember that year had two different surfaces, satin and lustrous, great strike and exceptional find.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bithrate: Your new Peace Dollar is an attractive and well-struck coin. I like the original looking appearance of the mint luster and the apparent slightly reflective satiny luster character to the fields of the coin.

How does the mint luster of the devices and fields appear in hand?

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
    Thank you, Stuart. The coin is definitely satiny and the pics don't show the full mint luster the coin has in hand.

<< <i>

<< <i>Thank you, Stuart. The coin is definitely satiny and the pics don't show the full mint luster the coin has in hand. >>

I always thought that the definition of satiny was muted luster, is that correct or incorrect? >>

Realone - I agree that the shininess of the luster on a coin with a satin finish is not as strong as that on a non-satin finish. Would love to hear what others have to say on this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file