Home U.S. Coin Forum

1st pictures - New Camera, new lens

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
I finally had a chance to try out my new Canon SLR. I still have no idea what I'm doing, but I managed to get this out of it. I felt the need to share image
The coin is from one of those type sets in a picture frame that I picked up a couple of weeks ago at an antique store.

Comments

• ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Nice image. This is a good example of what I was talking about in another thread. You can get a very good idea of what this coin truly looks like in hand by viewing this image.
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Start
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • MrSpud wrote: "The coin is from one of those type sets in a picture frame that I picked up a couple of weeks ago at an antique store."

Anaconda wrote: "You can get a very good idea of what this coin truly looks like in hand by viewing this image."

So you've seen this coin before?

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the camera... good pic... great start. Have fun with it.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good picture.... too bad about the tarnish, especially the reverse.... Cheers, RickO
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Nice Pic, what camera and lens do you have?
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    It is a Canon SLR Rebel EOS Camera with an EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Just about the same setup I have, it is a good one. I have been wondering about a longer focal length macro lens, it would give a bit more room to play with the lighting but haven't tried that yet.

On the pic I agree with Anaconda, I think I have a good idea of what the coin looks like from the pic. One reason for this is the luster bands you can see on the obverse, that helps alot in evaluating the coin from the pics.
  • Very nice picture.
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    very well done image
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nie pics. A little overexposed in a few of the white areas (top and bottom). May benefit from moving the lights or adding another light to the setup.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good start. You want less contrast on this coin, as there are very bright spots and dark areas. It looks like you have only one light. If you add a second light, that will help. You'll have to play with the light position as well.
  • Nice dead on angle shot. Are you shooting off a tripod or a copy stand? Do you tether the camera to the computer. If not take a look at Breeze Systems software, DSLR Remote Pro.

Canon provides a program to tether but I don't much like it. Breeze systems software is much better. Best part about tethering is the almost instant feedback you get. Don't like what you see, then just make some minor camera or lighting adjustments and shoot again.

Good start.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses. I have it on a tripod rigged up with a ringstand to make it like a copystand. I have it tethered to the computer, still just figuring it out though. Yeah, now I have to figure out the lighting image
  • NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭
    There are a few hot spots still on the photo. The details are great and the shots are very clear!
    Tinker with the lighting, add in or take out lighting sources, find what works for you and that camera! image

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• << <i>Nice dead on angle shot. Are you shooting off a tripod or a copy stand? Do you tether the camera to the computer. If not take a look at Breeze Systems software, DSLR Remote Pro.

Canon provides a program to tether but I don't much like it. Breeze systems software is much better. Best part about tethering is the almost instant feedback you get. Don't like what you see, then just make some minor camera or lighting adjustments and shoot again.

Good start.

John >>

I like or I am familiar with the EOS utitilities. I am downloading breeze now, it looks like you have to purchase it , what? after a trial period?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file