Home Precious Metals
Options

GOLD!

Took my wife and 3 yr old son today to the Field Museum here in Chicago to see....among other things....the "GOLD!" exhibit. Unfortunately there were explicit and firm directions to NOT take any video or photographs inside the exhibit.

The exhibit was a solid B- and I suggest that you see it if you are a gold bug and in the city. The highlight of the exhibit, for me, was a small collection of Kellogg gold assay bars. The bars ranged in size from a pack of cigs to about the size of a common brick and were inscribed with weight, fineness, and the actual monetary value (based on $21.67/oz I assume).

There were also many examples of different jewelry from all over the world as well as a small collection of both U.S. and foreign gold coins. I even saw a small display of gold coins in the "Gem" room that were donated by Harlan J. Berk!

My kid's favorite exhibit was the Sue T. Rex 3D movie. He loves dinos almost as much as I love gold! A fun day was had by all 3 of us.

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    We saw that exhibit with our kids a few weeks ago. Not amazing but worth seeing. The gold coins are pretty cool.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)