Home U.S. Coin Forum

How many people were able purchase a 5 oz ATB set from APMEX because I posted that they were selling

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wondering image

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for starting that thread!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could have
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I got the AlertMe text message from APMEX to my cell phone that woke me up and then I ordered a set, but your message was up on these boards at least a few hours before I got the alert.
  • I think there was a notice on MsMorrisine's thread of APMEX selling just before you started yours, so you can't take full credit.

In any event, I had the opportunity but passed since I had already ordered two sets with Monaco. Turned out to be a big mistake.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • read your post then I got the email and pondered for a few then ordered
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my name on their Alert Me List long before your mega thread was even conceived...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think there was a notice on MsMorrisine's thread of APMEX selling just before you started yours, so you can't take credit.

In any event, I had the opportunity but passed... >>

Changed your quote a little bit to reflect my opinion. image
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You talking about the thread from December 3rd or did they offer them again?

Either way no, I didn't get a set but would at the new lower price if given the chance image
    GrandAm :)
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, so I voted yes, and OK, I owe you oneimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Your thread alerted me, but I was to stubborn (stupid) to pay over $1000 for a set as they are bullion and I was not planning to flip. I then became inspired by a post from tcmittsr as follows:

"You know, ever since I saw this thread, last night, I've been filling my APMEX cart with an order for one set, then not pulling the trigger...watch it expire, come back here and see the available numbers going down.....go back and put in my one set......and just sit there, UNDECIDED AND CONFLICTED, over whether to pull the trigger.

My point is that what you said, REALLY says everything I am thinking and feeling but would have used 1,000 words, given my usual means of expression, to say. Thank you for so succinctly explaining almost my exact same sentiments.

I want these and I am blessed enough that I can afford them. Yet, this is gouging, pure and simple. It's no worse, IMHO, than what the coin shillers on the tv shopping channels do.

In one sense it's "just $1,500.00," (and I grew up dirt poor so I say 'just $1,500.00' with a very healthy degree of respect but mostly feeling for those who want them, and other coins and cannot ever hope to afford them, maybe not even have enough to eat...much less buy coins). In the other sense, it's "I want it and can afford it; I'm not flipping anything and if I take a long term hit, so what?"

My final "so" though.....is that it is, IMHO price gouging to the max. I'd have gone $1,000-$1,250. and not thought twice.

I called another of the distributors and they, eagerly almost shouted "$1,500.00" into the phone. I just hung up without saying another word.

Finally.....just before I wrote this, I made up my mind. Toys for Tots and So Others May Eat, each got a check for $750.00, given to my mailman as he just delivered today's mail. Rather than get robbed, I remembered what it was like growing up and decided screw AMPEX, Monaco and the rest.

Please, no one...and I mean it, give me any accolades or pats on the back for what I just wrote. I believe in Christ's words about keeping prayer and works of charity to oneself. This is an exception because it made me return to my roots and realize what I've taken for granted "it's just $1,500.00,"......unless you're a kid who doesn't have a chance in Dante's Inferno of getting the one (and only one) XMAS present you want, or, the family whose XMAS dinner is sharing a can of Spaghetti-O's."

Followed his lead and gave extra money to toys for tots. I am still waiting to buy a set for under $1000

• If these things were *really* bullion coins, would there have been this much drama over them?

Just askin'... image
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If these things were *really* bullion coins, would there have been this much drama over them?

Just askin'... image >>

Yup ... the demand would still be there...Just look at the bullion ASE's... over 30,000,000 million sold this year alone. Any silver product that the Mint produces, especially if it cost less than 30% over melt, has & will always be in demand.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If these things were *really* bullion coins, would there have been this much drama over them?

Just askin'... image >>

Yep....there has been a dearth of truly flippable items for the last 1-2 years, so the mint imposed low limits, on anything, would give the drama...

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>Yup ... the demand would still be there...Just look at the bullion ASE's... over 30,000,000 million sold this year alone. >>

How many 3000+ post threads have there been about those here?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I was not. I tried to place my order, they had many in stock. Had a problem getting it to go through--I think I was mixing the credit cards and check payment options in some sort of conflict. Had to leave to take my daughter to dance practice. Came back and they were sold out. --Jerry
  • I did, thank you. Thanks to this forum I also got my John Lennon coin that had a mintage of 5,000. I've been on here a couple years now and have learned a lot. In the beginning I gained enough knowledge to complete my older sets (started in the 60s); start, and almost complete a 7070, but lately have gotten the modern bug. I'm not sure what frustrates me more, the fiascoes with mint issues, or the counterfeiting of coins and slabs. Without this place I'd have missed a lot and been burned by now for sure.
  • I did, thank you. Thanks to this forum I also got my John Lennon coin that had a mintage of 5,000. I've been on here a couple years now and have learned a lot. In the beginning I gained enough knowledge to complete my older sets (started in the 60s); start, and almost complete a 7070, but lately have gotten the modern bug. I'm not sure what frustrates me more, the fiascoes with mint issues, or the counterfeiting of coins and slabs. Without this place I'd have missed a lot and been burned by now for sure.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Missed it so probably wont' get a set. Maybe Fidelity. We shall see. I am at a point I really don't care anymore.
  • I could have and appreciated the heads up. I didn't pull the trigger at $1,395 though. Of course, knowing what we know now I would have. image

The whole thing became a major fiasco that can only be rectified by getting a set for $875 next week. image
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    In the middle of the night I had a guy parachute down to my roof top, repel part way down the side of the house and tap on my bedroom window. I told him I didn't collect hockey pucks and as he swayed back and forth on the repelling rope, he replied "Get outta here" I said "Exactly!" and slammed the window back down.

Actually, information shared here is at times ahead of the curve, so keep up the good work people.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Jessewvu!!! I saw it and i wish i did but then life goes on.image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

By the time I read the post they were sold out.Funny thing is HSN has 260 sets or so MS 69 for about 5000.00 so someone sold them to them.CSN is also selling hiundreds of sets for about that price.So much for the average guy getting a shot at them.image
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Thankfully, I resisted the urge admirably.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    I was, I did, and now I own!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did - THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had signed up for an alert long before but I noticed your post before I got an email.

We were vacationing w/another couple at the time. The husband purchased one on my recommendation. He sold it raw on Ebay for over $2800.

Mine is at PCGS for grading.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I could have and appreciated the heads up. I didn't pull the trigger at $1,395 though. Of course, knowing what we know now I would have. image

The whole thing became a major fiasco that can only be rectified by getting a set for $875 next week. image >>

I am in the same boat as RedHerring. Bring on the 3rd!
  • Yup, ordered two sets.....one to keep and one to sell. Now I still need the one to keep
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup, ordered two sets.....one to keep and one to sell. Now I still need the one to keep >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file