Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on this barber quarter

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
What do y'all think? Do you like the looks of this coin. Why or why not? All opinions welcomed. Thanks!

edited to add: I do not own this coin!

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it!

Looks ms63 or 64.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not attractive toning in my opinion.
    Green color on obverse may be PVC residue?
    Looks like a mid-AU (?)
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unattractive toning, especially on the obverse, that makes the design difficult to see. Pass.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Here's the dealer's description:

Very honest, original surfaces with some old multi-colored toning. No real problems. Just lacks a little pizzazz, and priced accordingly.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    The obverse looks like it has environmental damage (those green specks, which as Dennis said, might be PVC damage). If you soak it in acetone, that may come off, but will most likely leave some pitting. Other than that, nice coin.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it! image AU58
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    A Q-tip with some odorless mineral spirits will remove some of the surface contaminants, but the coin might then show some wear.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    That photo didn't capture the verticals in the shield at all. So it looks odd to me. The photo, that is. Coin is probably fine.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it --- look original to me. Nice album toning.

Most 100 year old coins should look like that.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    I like it at AU-58,maybe better in hand, JMHO

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Nice crusty old coin.....I bet it looks better in hand.

wear on the cheek area and eagle neck feathers

AU 58-55

Rob
    Rob
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice original 63-64 coin with only the muted luster under that toning holding it back. It is odd how in the photo a bunch of feather and shield detail does not show. I don't believe it's wear and I don't believe it's all strike either. The obv looks ok. And the lower the grade goes on this coin, the better that toning is for it.

Would rather have one like this than a dipped out blazer. But alas, opinions like that are in the minority today.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    Roadrunner you could be right.

I would have to see it in hand to get a better idea of the wear....if it is, or as you say weakly struck

Wouldn't the neck area on the reverse and the head band area (Forehead) on the obverse be the highest points on the coin ?

That would then be not fully struck,if those are the high points.

I would have to agree with you as to leave it alone,I love the coin as the way it is.

I noticed it looks like it's in a PCGS holder.

Rob
    Rob
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    This is a coin where you can get one person saying "I love it" and another saying " I hate it".

To me the eye appeal just isnt there, I wouldnt buy it.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    I love it! Nice original. The dipped out silver look does nothing for me. It's getting tough to find these with original skin.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deeply toned barbers like this seem pretty much impossible to grade from a single photo, especially when the photo isn't the greatest. I've seen some of these deep toned barbers in MS65 or MS66 and if you tilt them one way or have some poor lighting, they look like dull AU53/55 coins... but when you photo them or look at them just right they are all of the sudden monsters!!!!

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

By the time I read this Thread, the grade was revealed.
    My wag was a MS 64; ... yeah, I know ... hindsight is 20 / 20... ha ha .

Seriously - it was my immediate reaction - and I'm not crazy about
    grading MS coins by images alone.

I also agree with Mike, the lighting is key to producing good images.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Very mushy reverse. Look at the lack of detail in the shield, and the almost flattened appearance of the neck feathers. I also am not thrilled with the spotting on the obverse. Unless this coin is heavily discounted for a 64, I'd pass and find a knockout 63 for the same money.
  • Options
    yummy
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it....that's the way all Barbers should look!image
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice crust...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    It's interesting. When I looked at this coin I immediately thought, "pass!" But the more I look at it the more I like it. I figured it was a love it or hate it coin, and that's why I posted it. In the end, I would never buy this coin because I feel the toning distracts from the design of the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file