Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

holy crap at final price for this 60' PSA 7 Mantle

So how bad does something like this affect the VCP average? No way this card is worth that much.

1960 topps Mantle PSA 7!!

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me make sure I understand your post. You are concerned it is going to drive up the average?

Last I checked the idea was to have cards hopefully go up not down.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    bravo to the seller.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    That seller is a board member. Congrats
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That's our own Ron Burgundy, and so it's a good thing!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    An experienced bidder went up to $725. Lost to a 25 fb newby. Last five VCP around $400.00

Certainly an anomaly. The high bidder paid a hundred more than one that 707 sold back in Sept.

Someone had some xmas money to spend!
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what it is, but over the last few days, vintage PSA cards have been selling very well on ebay.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last I checked the idea was to have cards hopefully go up not down. >>

Not for everyone.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    Anyone who reads the boards knows I don't buy anything but Wrestling All Stars cards. That being said if people want the direction of the overall card market to change you need sales like this!

I am in the financial investment business and I will tell you we all got used to falling stock prices and the safety of bonds.

The bottom line is the only way to turn a market is outlyer sales. You need agressive bidding to move markets.

I think this is a wonderful sign and maybe it turns out to be an anomaly but the notion that anyone would be concerned about a strong sale is beyond me.

I had no idea who the seller was and I have read a large number of threads with who it turns out to be and I am very pleased you achieved a strong price!!!

• Options
    bvcbvc Posts: 100 ✭✭
    dpeck, I'm not "concerned" about anything.
  • Options
    Well how do you know the card is not worth that much?

What if at some point the supply drys up and that is what is cost to get the card?

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    stay classy San Diego.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure what it is, but over the last few days, vintage PSA cards have been selling very well on ebay. >>

Ebay bucks maybe??
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work RB!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Ebay Bucks don't fund for a few more days but yesterday was double bucks but I highly doubt that would influence this buy.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He had a BIN for $525.... with no takers.

Gotta love it image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    The card is a HIGH END '7'....I am honestly surprised it didn't grade higher. Maybe the winning bidder has a crackout planned in the near future?
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a really sweet PSA7. "Buy the card, not the holder" works both ways.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    To answer the question I think VCP drops the highest sale and the lowest so it may not affect
    it at all.

Congrats to RB
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Howdy folks, I'm as (pleasantly) stunned as y'all are. I thought it might sell for my BIN price, but it went crazy.

That said, I've sent this card in twice, both times PSA 7's. It has an ever so slightly soft upper left corner, but good grief are there no half grades for this card? But I don't collect 60's, so I gave up. The card is at least a 7.5, and would look fine in a PSA 8 holder.

Hope this newbie pays me.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Looking at the bidding history it appears he was willing to go higher.

Ron you sure he's a newbie? lol

Good for you.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    I owned the card and submitted it myself. That's what 7.5's are for. When common sense says .5//////// it isn't going to happen. I thought the PSA 7.5 grade would be a very important grade if they handed it out. Congrats Ron. You actually got market value for a card of that quality.

Mickey71
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    The person who bought this card also bought the Jordan card I posted about last night.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Waverly bought it for the crack out. Sell it as Mint.

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Ron,

Congratulations on the sell !!! Personnally, from what I see, the card should at least have the .5 upgrade.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    The card sold last night was gorgeous !! One of the highest end 7's I've ever seen. Wasn't your first thought "Crack It"
    Looked like a slam dunk 8 to me
  • Options
    congrats ron!
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's our own Ron Burgundy, and so it's a good thing! >>

i cant believe what I just saw, no wait I just forget it was him. Must be the n00b with 25 feedback doesnt have a subscription to vcp
  • Options

<< <i>The card is a HIGH END '7'....I am honestly surprised it didn't grade higher. Maybe the winning bidder has a crackout planned in the near future? >>

no, the buyer wasnt shaderise,
  • Options
    VCP is like reading the Wall Street Journal for stock quotes. It already happened.

It is to give you a view of prior auctions but it tells you nothing about future one's.
  • Options
    Dpeck, the seller got a great price, so good for him, but the price is way over what it should sell for.
  • Options

<< <i>VCP is like reading the Wall Street Journal for stock quotes. It already happened.

It is to give you a view of prior auctions but it tells you nothing about future one's. >>

So what would you suggest? I like to call it the sales approach.
  • Options

<< <i>Dpeck, the seller got a great price, so good for him, but the price is way over what it should sell for >>

I don't think so. Looks like the bidders were bidding on the card and not the flip. That's refreshing to see for a change. I like that better than some jackleg bidding up a GAI 8 or 9 that looks like a PSA 7 at best.....
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    once the transaction is complete, it will be worth exactly what the winner paid.

• Options
    Asset prices are not stagnant and go up and down.

A strong condition Mantle is an asset and if someone wants it more then the next guy the price is going up.

A good ticket to a Magic game here in Orlando will run you close to $300. Is it worth it? I don't think so but if you want one that is what the cost is and they are selling for that.

Sports cards are no different. If 25 of this same card shows up this week then sure you will not have an outlier sale, but if a very nice copy does and there are not many to choose from all it takes is two bidders to want the card and the price will zoom higher.

I think some of you with massive vintage baseball card collections should be thrilled at this sign of life!
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Nice centered cards with no print issues and corner issues visible in the scan sell at the higher prices in VCP. They sell to a buyer looking for a high-end card for the grade, or to a buyer only looking for cards to bump up in grade. The picture and seller's description would suggest to buyers that the card has a very good chance of bumping, and bumpers bid higher than people just wanting a nice PSA 7 card.

You are bidding on a beautiful 1960 Topps Mickey Mantle # 350 PSA 7 NM! This is a STRONG card for the grade (no idea why it's not a PSA 8 or at least 7.5), with excellent clarity, great corners, well centered, and the back is super clean.

If the seller added to the description "I've sent this card in twice, both times PSA 7's. It has an ever so slightly soft upper left corner, but good grief are there no half grades for this card?" then it probably would have discouraged some bumpers from strong bidding.

• Options
    That's pretty good KB.....
  • Options

<< <i>Nice centered cards with no print issues and corner issues visible in the scan sell at the higher prices >>

That's a fact jack, always has been too.

Not sure why anyone would think that specific card wouldn't fetch more than VCP average?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    LOL, there's KB with his daily post tearing down another board member. Gotta give you props though, you stay consistent, 100% of your posts have the same angle. You've perfected it.image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I'd say it hammered at an appropriate price. That's got to be one of the nicest 1960's Topps PSA 7 card I've seen!
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Wow, a very nice eye appealing card sold for more than an average for the grade with average eye appeal card would sell for. That is how it should work.

Congrats to you RonBurgundy, and hopefully such a trend of nicer cards selling for more than average cards does not continue, it might tie up the collective lowballers panties in a bunch.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how the post could be interpreted as tearing anybody down. You marketed a card as high-end and got good money for it because it looked like a high-end card.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    At least the PSA holder is tilted in the right direction...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Hello,

I am a coin collector and a card collector.

I would just like to add something that pertains to both collectibles,and for that matter any collectible!

There is nothing wrong for overpaying for quality

That card is incredible.

And congrats to the seller...well done

Rob
    Rob
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>VCP is like reading the Wall Street Journal for stock quotes. It already happened.
    It is to give you a view of prior auctions but it tells you nothing about future one's. >>

So what would you suggest? I like to call it the sales approach. >>

Good ol' supply and demand and a willing buyer or two.

Congrats on an exciting sale for you!