Home Precious Metals
Options

Congratulations to silver: $30.59 close

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not an all time high, I believe it traded intra-day @ $30.70 a couple weeks back. But unless I"m mistaken, this is a record close (for NY spot, at least).

Maybe 18 months ago I was just playing around with the idea of when and if gold would rise to the point that I could actually pay off my house.

I don't know if I ever really thought about that scenario and silver. But a thumbnail sketch @ $30.59 shows I could actually do just that. image
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    Of course, not including the Hunt/1980s run up.

Some big silver rounds. These are about 5 ounces each. Silver eagle shown in the middle for scale...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the PM markets were open until 5:15 Eastern time.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Whatever. I just wanted an excuse to post big chunks of silver image
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just playing around with the idea of when and if gold would rise to the point that I could actually pay off my house.

I don't think it's anywhere near time to sell. Besides, who needs that kind of tax hit?

Why use good money (that you've already put into savings) to pay off the mortgage when you can continue to pay it off with depreciating paper money from your current income stream and still claim a tax deduction?

You can still pay it off any time you want if your savings is still there, and more importantly - you know that the savings exists in physical form.

Yeah, gold and silver could crash. Duly noted.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Weiss !

Make me an offer on the hideous "Indiana, American, Revolution" coin that is interferring with the rest of your wonderful brood! Please....

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Are those rounds sterling or .999?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are those rounds sterling or .999? >>

I don't believe that Weiss would even consider buying anything sterling.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang Weiss, If I ever decide to pimp my ride I will need four of those big ole rounds................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Are those rounds sterling or .999? >>

A little of both:

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $30.73 aftermarket, currently, not NY. Maybe overseas.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not an all time high, I believe it traded intra-day @ $30.70 a couple weeks back. But unless I"m mistaken, this is a record close (for NY spot, at least). image >>

The 1980 Hunt run-up, adjusted for inflation since then, would be silver at $132 per ounce.