CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Rob!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    imageHAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!imageimageimageimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Lord!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    and a Happy Birthday to him! image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. image

Let's just put it this way- when I was a kid, we used to get silver tetradrachms and denarii and Widow's mites in our pocket change. image

Not really. I'm still a wee young whippersnapper compared to some of you old fossils around here. Heh. But 'tis true- I am gettin' a bit long in the tooth.

How'd they come up with that "long in the tooth" saying, anyway? My teeth aren't getting longer- they're shorter, from having been broken, or pulled out. After the recent dental debacle, ladymarcovan was suggesting it was time to yank the remaining ones and get dentures. I said I wasn't quite ready for that yet. I'll struggle on with my Jack-o'-lantern smile for a few more years.

I find quite a few parts don't work like they used to.

At least I've still got all my hair. And only part of it is grey.

Edit to add numismatic metaphor: I would grade myself F15 now in terms of physical condition. Maybe VF20 on my good days. I guess that still makes me collectible to some folks, but I wouldn't fetch as much on the market as before.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Don't get me started on the effects of age! I know what your saying, it can be tough.

Sooooo.....how many candles?image
  • Happy Birth Day MiLord!

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

<< <i>Sooooo.....how many candles? >>

Light one for every year the US Mint has struck clad coinage.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>

<< <i>Sooooo.....how many candles? >>

Light one for every year the US Mint has struck clad coinage. >>

I thought for some reason that you were younger than me, not too far off though.

Anyway, hope you have a great one!!

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes on your natal day!

imageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Rob, it sure beats the alternative, right?

I hope that, if I ever have to get dental work done, that I can get gold teeth. Even though that would mean there was more gold in my mouth than in my collection (none!) I think it would be cool.

Then I could go around and do my Gabby Hayes impression and not seem crazy.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy B'day, LordM. image

<< <i>How'd they come up with that "long in the tooth" saying, anyway? >>

The saying derives from observations of the animal world. Specifically, some herbivores (particularly horses, but also other creatures such as rodents and pigs) whose teeth continually grow throughout their lives. If they live a sheltered domesticated life, their diet is easier (producing less wear on the teeth) and they live longer than they would "in the wild", so the teeth become noticeably longer on older animals.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)

He's as scary-smart with folklore as he is with ancient coins! image

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sapyx, you never cease to amaze me with your level of knowledge.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Happy Birthday Lord M. Didn't realize you were so young. I've been married almost as long as you have been around. 41 years on January 13.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Rob! Hope you had a nice day.
  • Happy Birthday! I didn't recognise you without your hat avatar!
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Happy B'day, LordM. image

<< <i>How'd they come up with that "long in the tooth" saying, anyway? >>

The saying derives from observations of the animal world. Specifically, some herbivores (particularly horses, but also other creatures such as rodents and pigs) whose teeth continually grow throughout their lives. If they live a sheltered domesticated life, their diet is easier (producing less wear on the teeth) and they live longer than they would "in the wild", so the teeth become noticeably longer on older animals. >>

A related old saying: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth --- that is to say, if someone gives you a horse for free, don't worry about how old it is (which can be estimated by how long its teeth are).

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    P.S. H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y !

• << <i>A related old saying: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth --- that is to say, if someone gives you a horse for free, don't worry about how old it is (which can be estimated by how long its teeth are). >>

Unless the horse is given to you by some ancient Greeks and has a wooden appearance, in that scenario I would strongly suggest checking the horse before hand! image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A related old saying: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth --- that is to say, if someone gives you a horse for free, don't worry about how old it is (which can be estimated by how long its teeth are). >>

Unless the horse is given to you by some ancient Greeks and has a wooden appearance, in that scenario I would strongly suggest checking the horse before hand! image >>

In that case, he's certain to spoil the surprise. image Happy B-day Rob.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Congrats Rob...
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, old timer!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Glad to have another senior citizen on board, happy birthday
    Shep
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage
    Becky
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Happy birthday my friend.

Thanks for your many contributions to the quality, knowledge and conviviality of this forum.

Hopefully no more Yeti sabbaticals, at least for a good while image
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.