Brewers and Greinke

If you are a Brewers fan are you glad that you got him? KC will miss himimage

Comments

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    he will again be dominant...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I guess I'll have to watch him pitch sometime...

I just shake my head when I look at the stats on this 7 year player.

once went 5-17 with a 5.80 ERA, 1.56 WHIP
    gives up more hits than innings pitched, career
    only 3 shutouts in 169 games started
    freaked out one years and didnt pitch at all...
    career 1.26 WHIP

take away his Cy Year and his stats are absolutely horrible! .... and thats putting it mildly
  • Options
    Sadly, KC fans knew this was coming. Anytime a player becomes a star, it seems KC gets rid of them. He'll be better off with the Brewers and Royals fans will just have to go watch the Chiefs this year to have that winning feeling.
  • Options
    cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess I'll have to watch him pitch sometime...

I just shake my head when I look at the stats on this 7 year player.

once went 5-17 with a 5.80 ERA, 1.56 WHIP
    gives up more hits than innings pitched, career
    only 3 shutouts in 169 games started
    freaked out one years and didnt pitch at all...
    career 1.26 WHIP

take away his Cy Year and his stats are absolutely horrible! .... and thats putting it mildly >>

Rather than taking away the Cy Young year, why don't you take away the bad year he had when he was 21.

Then his career ERA is 3.80 and he then gave up fewer than 1 hit per inning pitched. He would also have a career record of 55-50. And a whip of 1.20.

Here are his career stats with all 7 seasons:

Wins: 60
    Losses: 67
    ERA: 3.82
    WHIP: 1.26
    K/9: 7.6

I would disagree with these stats being horrible.

As a Brewers fan I am happy they got him. His stats should improve with a move to the National League. He just turned 27 after the season was over - so the Brewers should still get some good seasons out of him.

Shawn

After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Brewers fan and am very happy we got him. I think the Brewers have some pretty good offense, but we seem to never have pitching. With the additions of Greinke and Marcum I think we have a very legitimate shot at being a playoff contender this year. In 2008 when we rented Sabathia for the last few months it helped get us in the playoffs. Having some good pitching around for an entire season should be exciting. I look forward to 2011 should be a fun season!!
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    You're welcome.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>You're welcome. >>

As are you. Odorizzi, Cain & Escobar could end up being huge additions to the Royals. Jeffress is on his last chance but if he keeps his bong dry he will be an asset on he mound. I think this trade is a rare win-win.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You're welcome. >>

As are you. Odorizzi, Cain & Escobar could end up being huge additions to the Royals. Jeffress is on his last chance but if he keeps his bong dry he will be an asset on he mound. I think this trade is a rare win-win. >>

Saw all but Odorizzi play for the Brewers Florida State League team that's right down the road and Cain and Escobar were an absolute blast to watch! They were both a terror on the base paths!
  • Options
    Greinke will shine on a team that actually wants to win.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    The KC uniforms made him feel blue, feeling brew makes him happier. image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a team that want's to win and Owners that want to win!!
  • Options

<< <i>On a team that want's to win and Owners that want to win!! >>

I would not come to the conclusion that unless a team is the top 10 in salaries, they don't want to win.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Anyone care to analyze the trade now?
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I think this was a great trade for the Brewers. Along with the pickup of Marcum and K-rod we finally have a pitching staff. We always had the offense, but with our rotation now we should go far into the playoffs this year. 10 1/2 game lead over the second place Cardinals as of today. Biggest lead in any division. Games have been selling out like crazy around here. Very exciting time for Milwaukee!!!
  • Options
    Great article on the Brew crew in this past weeks SI. Really a good read and mostly about Nyjer Morgan. He's hitting .310 and has really enlightened the team. He's a big jokester and really plays split personalities on and off the field.

Worth reading. I agree the Brewers do have a great shot.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone care to analyze the trade now? >>

Greinke - +2.9 WAR (dollar value $13.1m) (2011 salary - $13.5m)

Escobar - +1.3 WAR (dollar value $5.9m) (2011 salary - $428K)
    L.Cain - (AAA - .303/.373/.498) pretty solid, blocked by a career year by Melkman
    Jeffress - 0.0 WAR (dollar value $0.1m) (AAA - 2-3, 3 saves, 7.13 ERA demoted to AA and now an ill-advised decision by management to converting Cheech back to a starter - 4.40 ERA, 5.97 K/9, and a brutal 6.28 BB/9)
    Odorizzi - (5-4, 2.87 ERA, 11.83 K/9 in 15 starts at High A.....4-2, 4.79 ERA, 7.03 K/9 at AA in 10 starts). Now ranked #23 in Baseball America's Top 50 overall prospects list. With Hosmer, Moustakas, Duffy graduating to the bigs, John Lamb going down with TJ surgery, and Wil Myers, Mike Montgomery and Chris Dwyer struggling, chances are Odorizzi will be either KC's #1 or #2 prospect heading into next year depending on where you slot Bubba Starling. Starling's upside is much higher, but Odorizzi is closer to the majors.

So for this season (on-field) advantage Brewers....but if you look at it economically the Royals are getting more value for dollars spent than the Brewers who are getting even value production for what they're paying Greinke. However, given that 3 of the pieces for the Royals are in the minors, I'd say still incomplete. Down the line, given Odorizzi's rise, probably advantage Royals if Odorizzi eventually becomes at least a solid #3 starter.
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    Nice start for him last night.
  • Options
    Could the Royals actually have gotten the better end of this deal?
  • Options

<< <i>Could the Royals actually have gotten the better end of this deal? >>

Yes!
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

Let me take 10 days off and get back to you. I need to recharge my batteries and/or stick with a routine.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Let me take 10 days off and get back to you. I need to recharge my batteries and/or stick with a routine. >>

• Options
    Looks like the Greinke deal worked out well for everyone involved.

Brewers gave up SS Alcides Escobar, OF Lorenzo Cain and P Jeremy Jeffress to get Greinke and Yuniesky Betancourt.

All in all, I think the Brewers did well to have Greinke.

Escobar is hitting .302 with 4 homers, 39 runs, 29 RBI and 15 stolen bases.
    Cain is hitting .290 with 3 homers, 9 runs, 14 RBI and 1 stolen base.
    Jeffress pitched in 2 games this past April and gave up 4 hits and 2 walks in a combined 1 inning of work in those 2 outings.

Greinke is 9-3 with a 3.44 ERA, 122 strikeouts, an ERA of 3.44 and a WHIP of 1.20. He never lost at Miller Park and carried us to the NLCS last year.

Trading Greinke to the Angels, the Brewers got SS Jean Segura, P Johnny Hellweg and P Ariel Pena.

It looks like Segura has a better bat than Escobar and all of the speed, if not more. The Brewers clearly need some pitching depth, and while I don't know much about either Hellweg or Pena, a quick look at their 2012 stats shows me ERAs of 3.38 and 2.99 with a health K ratio for both of them.

Hopefully the 2014 Brewers will bring us more happiness than the 2012 version did.

Good luck to Greinke out west.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the move!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    you forgot about Jake Odorizzi in that greinke deal. good move by the angels considering they didnt have much minor league talent to begin with.
  • Options

<< <i>you forgot about Jake Odorizzi in that greinke deal. good move by the angels considering they didnt have much minor league talent to begin with. >>

Yes, how could I forget about Odorizzi? Good call.
  • Options
    Another revisit. Cain and Escobar were big in the drive to the WS last year, and continue to do well this year. Crazy to think the trades the Royals made back then actually did improve the team to contenders.

Greinke is still a beast! Would love to have him on the Royals with the bullpen we have.