Home Sports Talk

Ohio State.....

Teee heee..... image

Sweater Meat runs a clean ship, right?

Child, PLEASE!
South of Heaven...North of Canada

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are these players allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl? NCAA nonsense. Bad day in Buckeye Nation. image
    The mood seems to be split between those making excuses and those who are disgusted with the players.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet my Ripken collection that Ohio State starts the season 5-0, with or without them. Squawk all you want...
  • Most of the guys will go to the NFL....so the 5 game suspensions will mean nothing.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly, and OSU is deep too.

Pryor will get drafted in the 4th round and will never be a QB in the NFL. Maybe a WR.

What pisses me off about this whole thing is, there are HUNDREDS of NCAA players that do ten times worse than this, and never get looked at. Punishment doesn't fit the crime. It's BS.

• << <i>

What pisses me off about this whole thing is, there are HUNDREDS of NCAA players that do ten times worse than this, and never get looked at. Punishment doesn't fit the crime. It's BS. >>

Its worse than BS.

Sugar bowl president makes 1 million, Tressel 3 million, AD 1 million. Players sell what belongs to them to support their struggling families and get suspended. System sucks. This is the reason why i have not bashed cam newton all season. Colleges and universities are nothing but huge scams. And the college presidents know this. They expect these players to play sports, go to classes, study, and watch tv in their spare time. They are NOT allowed to have a life.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'm an Ohio State fan and the 5 of them are MORONS to do what they did.

If they were smart they would have had a parent try and get some money from the University without their knowledge.image
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was it 2500 for the max amount? The NCAA just does not have a clue. Sure the players made a mistake but it was not like they were trying to be a rich man all at once.

Hey I am a Duck Fan and really think this is garbage.

Ken
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems that the energy of the NCAA and major learning institutions needs to be redirected in a meaningful and positive direction.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What pisses me off about this whole thing is, there are HUNDREDS of NCAA players that do ten times worse than this, and never get looked at. Punishment doesn't fit the crime. It's BS. >>

Its worse than BS.

Sugar bowl president makes 1 million, Tressel 3 million, AD 1 million. Players sell what belongs to them to support their struggling families and get suspended. System sucks. This is the reason why i have not bashed cam newton all season. Colleges and universities are nothing but huge scams. And the college presidents know this. They expect these players to play sports, go to classes, study, and watch tv in their spare time. They are NOT allowed to have a life. >>

The players aren't claiming that it was their stuff and they had a right to sell it, even they aren't that dumb. No no, they are claiming that the school didn't properly inform them that it wasn't OK for them to sell stuff. Keep in mind that the #1 WR in the country, AJ Green, got a 4 game suspension to open the season for selling a jersey and it was widely discussed on EPSN nonstop for weeks, if not months. But somehow, these clowns at OSU are trying to hide behind the "we didn't know any better" excuse. Give me a break.....

Furthermore, if OSU actually didn't have a program in place to inform thier players that its NOT OK to do this type of thing, then IMO that should fall under the NCAA's definition of a lack of institutional control. I think the university and thier program for educating thier players about NCAA rules should come under scrutiny here and the AD needs to be investigated as well if its true that no one informed the players of the rules.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Its worse than BS.

Sugar bowl president makes 1 million, Tressel 3 million, AD 1 million. Players sell what belongs to them to support their struggling families and get suspended. System sucks. This is the reason why i have not bashed cam newton all season. Colleges and universities are nothing but huge scams. And the college presidents know this. They expect these players to play sports, go to classes, study, and watch tv in their spare time. They are NOT allowed to have a life. >>

The players aren't claiming that it was their stuff and they had a right to sell it, even they aren't that dumb. No no, they are claiming that the school didn't properly inform them that it wasn't OK for them to sell stuff. Keep in mind that the #1 WR in the country, AJ Green, got a 4 game suspension to open the season for selling a jersey and it was widely discussed on EPSN nonstop for weeks, if not months. But somehow, these clowns at OSU are trying to hide behind the "we didn't know any better" excuse. Give me a break.....

>>

To call them clowns is very unreasonable. They are barely old enough to drink if at all? I couldnt even tell you what team green plays for and i am a diehard cf fan. So i dont fault the players for not knowing who he is or hearing about the story. Its all about the money. If they wouldve suspended these players for the sugar bowl wouldve meant =less ticket sales=less $ for bowl AD's, bowl commitee. Its a joke.
  • AJ Green is probably the #1 wide receiver taken in the NFL draft next year. He plays for Georgia.

The claim that these kids get "nothing" from the university while the coaches get millions is wrong.
    The players get a $100,000.00 scholarship to play the game they love for free. It's also a possible path to a huge NFL contract.
    Any kid in America would jump at that opportunity if given the option.

They get free meals, free housing, free help with schoolwork, free tuition, free bus and plane rides, free books, free athletic wear.
    They get free physical therapy, free doctor advice and care, free publicity, and many other freebies. And many of them are given
    "free" jobs during and after their playing days at the university.

When my son plays ice hockey we pay for everything, from the gas in my truck to the ice time and equipment.

• << <i>To call them clowns is very unreasonable. They are barely old enough to drink if at all? I couldnt even tell you what team green plays for and i am a diehard cf fan. So i dont fault the players for not knowing who he is or hearing about the story. >>

What the hell does being old enough to drink have to do with anything?

Diehard fan and you have no idea who AJ Green is? Wow. It was only a headlining story for about a month not to mention that he will be the #1 WR chosen in the draft.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    any of these guys who claim they didn't know are either lying or plain dumb. From the time they are in junior high and on up the rules are emphasized to them and reemphasized every year....my son is currently playing high school basketball and every year they get instructions on the do's and don'ts prior to the season. Everything from what they can accept, who they can play for/with during and after the seasons and codes of conduct. They either are not listening or just don't care....
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bet my Ripken collection that Ohio State starts the season 5-0, with or without them. Squawk all you want... >>

lets not forget, they play in the really tough BIG 10...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...

• << <i>

<< <i>I bet my Ripken collection that Ohio State starts the season 5-0, with or without them. Squawk all you want... >>

lets not forget, they play in the really tough BIG 10... >>

And it will be even tougher next year with nebraska.
  • Those first 5 games....

Akron
    Toledo
    Miami (FL)
    Colorado
    Michigan St

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To call them clowns is very unreasonable. They are barely old enough to drink if at all? I couldnt even tell you what team green plays for and i am a diehard cf fan. So i dont fault the players for not knowing who he is or hearing about the story. Its all about the money. If they wouldve suspended these players for the sugar bowl wouldve meant =less ticket sales=less $ for bowl AD's, bowl commitee. Its a joke. >>

There is absolutely zero chance that these guy didn't know what they were doing was against the rules. Zero. Ohio State has the largest athletic department in the country. They have a large compliance staff. They hold meetings every single year with all of their players to go over the dos/don'ts for compliance purposes. Again, there is zero chance this stuff wasn't covered. Zero. Even Jim Tressel doesn't really buy that argument.

Tabe