Home Sports Talk

Quote re Kevin Brown

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
I found this entertaining.

Kevin Brown: Ah, Brownie. How often do you hear that a guy is a big jerk, and then it turns out that he isn't as bad as advertised?

Well, that wasn't the case with Brown. Man, was he unpleasant.

Link-http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ken-davidoff-s-baseball-insider-1.1278117/my-2011-hall-of-fame-ballot-1.2564041

Comments

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Why do smart guys like you have trouble creating a link? Is a badge of pride or something?

Just click on the 'http' button that you see on the toolbar when you're writing a post, and follow the directions from there. It's easier than logging in to your account.
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    I played 9 holes of golf with Kevin Brown when I was in college in Macon, GA -- while he was with the Rangers. He was just pleasant enough, but he seemed easily bothered/unhappy. I won't say he was a jerk, but could see how he easily could be -- if that makes sense. He was totally in the shadows of Nolan Ryan at the time & I'm not sure he was cracking a sub 4.50 ERA...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do smart guys like you have trouble creating a link? Is a badge of pride or something?

Thanks for the instructions. BTW-I have no pride.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I noticed that my first post seems a little combative, Mark, and that wasn't my intention. You're obviously a bright guy, and I enjoy your posts.
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    I liked the part where Davidoff astutely penned "meh" for Brown's roid usage. Meh perfectly sums up what I think of Davidoff and his work. Most of these HOF voters are the equivalent of retail middle management where the only qualification is working at a given place for at least 6 months and outwardly appearing to at least have an IQ around room temperature.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    He aint getting in...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand Davidoff either. Meh.

Brown a jerk? Well, I did not like when he punched the wall with his non-pitching hand and broke some bones. He was a reliable starting pitcher and suddenly pulls that BS. Yes, I am sure passion went into it because he was frustrated at not wiffing everyone, but he was too valuable to be doing something stupid.

I rate him as a David Cone,/Dwight Gooden type pitcher. He has shown to be the best within his career span, dominated, struck out a lot of people, commanded games, came through in pressure situations, etc. He is a HOF pitcher, but the only argument against him will be the steroid suspicion, his character, and longevity.

It is my opinion that his longevity is not a big deal. So what that he did not linger around to get 300 wins? His character might have some flaws, but I don't think it is anything to be overly critical about. People are different. Not everyone should be Jim Abbott. His steroid suspicion is a big deal. That would warrant some pause. The voters need to figure out what they want to do with the steroid users, other than that, it would be hard to argue against Brown as a HOF pitcher.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Kevin Brown ? HOF? no. 4 or 5 great years, sure. 20 year career, barely 200 wins? he's bob welch! image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was a total dud with the Yankees and a dud for most of his Dodgers career. Some good years with the Padres, but not even an afterthought for HOF.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Kevin Brown was only good at beating toilets, nothing else...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    He was in the top 10 in ERA+ 7 times

He ranks 53rd all time in ERA+

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Character, integrity, and sportsmanship. Does he fail in these aspects?

Is a failure in those aspects enough to bring down his playing record, ability, and contribution to his teams, to a point where he is not HOF material?

Is his playing record worthy of induction?

The charachter, ingerity, and sportsmanship are things that are very difficult to pin down. I think PED use is a clear(and major) violation of all three of these things.

Aside from PED use, is his character even still in doubt? Yes.

For his playing record, I believe he is marginal.

Add the other criteria that the Hall requires...he would have to be viewed as a NO.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?