Home Precious Metals
Options

OT--Checking on Gecko--two dead FFs

Two Chicago firefighters died Wednesday night when a team of firemen entered an abandoned building to rescue homeless people who were sheltering there. The roof collapsed trapping a number of men. Two men died. I'm wondering if Gecko is okay as I believe he battles fires in that area of the city. Anyword from him today?
"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I don't think he's on the nozzle anymore, but still will be anxious to get word from him.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He answered the thread I started yesterday morning called "Perspective."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He answered the thread I started yesterday morning called "Perspective." >>

I missed the Perspective post. I guess the fire was Tuesday night. The WSJ mentioned it was last night. Maybe the men died in the hospital last night.
    Glad to know Gecko's okay.
  • Options
    Wes is right, im no longer on the nozzle. In fact, I dont go inside burning buildings anymore as im now the engineer. All I do now is drive the rig and crew to the calls, and if we do get a fire, I jump out and operate the water pump to supply sufficient water flow to the guys on the hoselines. My job now is all mental where it used to be mostly physical. Much safer as well!

The fire occured at around 7am Wednesday morning. The 2 brave members were killed shortly after arriving at the scene. The building was abandoned, and had a truss roof (real fireman killer). However, it was reported that squatters had been inhabiting the building recently so guys had to go inside to do a search. The results were simply devastating.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fire was around 7AM Wednesday.
    We heard about it around 10AM from a police officer who came in.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    a dangerous job. How anyone does it I don't know. The NYFD is taking a beating here. They wanna shut down firehouses while they sink $49 million into the aquarium @ in Coney Island
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that your alright Phil. What a horrible scenario that is. Reminds me of the abandoned warehouse fire in Worcester, MA. that took 6 members back in 1999. That too was started by squatters seeking shelter.
    The members of C.F.D are in my prayers.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Glad to know you're safe Phil. Sorry about the loss of your brave brothers and our fellow Chicagoans.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The building was abandoned, and had a truss roof (real fireman killer). >>

As a certified building code inspector I have always been outspoken on the structural dangers of truss roofs, particularly in residential applications. I personally refuse to have them in a house I reside in.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Reminds me of the Worcester fire back in dec 1999. We still don't forget the six who died here around christmas time every year.
    God bless all first responders.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the same problem in Charleston, SC a few years back. I believe six firefighters killed.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt