Home Precious Metals
Options

Wow, the 1991 $25 Gold Eagles are going up!

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there more collector demand, or is it just due to gold going up?

1991 Eagle

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been a steady climb. Not too long ago, I tracked a raw coin that went over $2,000 on ebay.

Prior to that, a couple of MS-69s sold for very close to $1,900.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I took a flyer on one of these back in April of this year (2010).

I paid $1,700 for a NGC MS69 after missing out on a PCGS MS69 one month earlier for $1,600.

It seems that every auction after that the price has climbed by $100.
  • Options
    It's a good feeling, but I wish I bought ten of them ten years agoimage
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    11 out of 12 of the different Burnished gold eagles are MUCH lower mintage than the 1991 $25. Yes I do realize the 1991 is more widely distributed than the burnished gold eagles.

I think the 1991 $25 is WAY overpriced.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride".image

We all have wishes, now take my kids.......PLEEEZZZZE!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    All of the "W" $25 AGEs have moved up nicely as well, just not as high, yet. It does seem that the keys are being sought by someone. I think it's going to be interesting, regardless of how you assess the keys.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2008-W 1/10 ounce $5 burnished Gold Eagle (most popular size) has barely half the mintage of the 1991 $25, and is selling in the range of $300 to $450. A much better value, in my opinion.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    You can find the "w"s on ebay every day of the week .
    After 19 years pcgs has only graded less than 1000 of the 91s in ms69 and they show up for sale VERY rarely. A lot of them were used in jewelery.
    Strangely the 1989, 1990 and 1995 are rarer in ms69
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    For Mint State $25 Gold Eagles until 2006 the 1991 had the lowest mintage (24,100); it lost its key status when the W mint marked 2006 (15,164), 2007 (11,455), and 2008 (15,683) were released. I'd expect the price of 1991s to fall and 2006, 2007, and 2008 to move up in the next few years.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    Back in 1988 & 1989, I bought 5 each of the 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. AGEs. I kept a couple of them and I sent one of my 1989 1/2 ozers to PCGS a couple years ago and received it back as MS-69. Heck, I thought it was a 70.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I have all the 1/10 and 1/4 2006, 2007, 2008 W MS Burnished AGEs all in PCGS MS 70 except for the 2008 w 1/10 which is in PCGS MS 69. All bought raw from the mint and submitted to PCGS. These are long term holds. We will see in 20 years.
  • Options
    The question is.
    Where are the 20 000 odd 91 halves that have not been graded ? If they are out there in tubes waiting to be graded then the value will drop , if they are all in pendants and money clips and cuff links , then the sky is the limit.
    It is wierd to think that if it became fashionable to collect a PCGS registry set of GAE $25 in MS69 , then there are only a possible 444 sets out there at the moment , with the 1995 as the stopper.
    Are there fewer than 500 people collecting these things in this country ?? Less than 10 per state??
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options

<< <i>The question is.
    Where are the 20 000 odd 91 halves that have not been graded ? If they are out there in tubes waiting to be graded then the value will drop , if they are all in pendants and money clips and cuff links , then the sky is the limit.
    It is wierd to think that if it became fashionable to collect a PCGS registry set of GAE $25 in MS69 , then there are only a possible 444 sets out there at the moment , with the 1995 as the stopper.
    Are there fewer than 500 people collecting these things in this country ?? Less than 10 per state?? >>

• Options
    Answer: The 1991 mint state gold eagle half is and has been the darling of gold houses that put away coins for peoples retirement funds. They have been buying them by the roll for a decade and the coins are not rare. They are just off the market. Will they go up from here? Good chance but they have a large inventory overhang that's dangerous. These baby boomers are going to be a net seller of retirement assets over the next 20 years. So one must consider these variables in ones calculations.
  • Options
    In my typical plodding fashion, I've had more time to revisit Eric's methods of analyzing the mintages and populations that he published in his book. I urge anyone who hasn't bought that book to buy it, and anyone who hasn't given it a careful read to take the time and let his ideas "stew" around in your brain for awhile.

My thought is that although the baby boomers will be net sellers of assets, that fact will affect stocks & bonds - paper assets, more than bullion or rare coins, and the net effect in relative terms will be positive for all of the AGEs - rare, common and in-between.

I don't know where the 1991's are, but I was jolted when I saw Julian's offering of some of his 1999-W hoard. In Eric's book, he mentions the divestment of whole rolls of these 1999-W unc coins is slowing down and becoming static. I didn't know that there were whole roll hoards of these in the first place!

Do the Burnished Unc "W" AGEs exist in these quantities, or were they more widely-dispersed? In any case, does it matter very much, given the known mintages? I'm asking the questions. I don't know the answers.

I base my planning on what I detect as the price action of these coins on ebay. Both the Burnished Uncs and the early date Keys are doing pretty well. I don't expect the overall trend to change much regardless of which coins become predominant. Take another close look at Eric's methodology in his book and take the time to absorb some of it. This kind of knowledge is valuable, and will continue to be valuable.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Eric ,
    If you were hoarding these , which would you prefer to hold , the 91 or 07W?
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a tube of the $25 1991 AGE's, guess its time to have them graded.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    "I've got a tube of the $25 1991 AGE's"

Lucky you!

Love your toilet paper...pretty much sums it all up!image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eric ,
    If you were hoarding these , which would you prefer to hold , the 91 or 07W? >>

IMHO the burnished W mint marks, expecially fractionals, will always be the hands down winner. Only three years of production and not a whole lot of mintages. I don't expect them to ever be produced again.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Get them graded , you can exchange them for 2 tubes of Ws at todays prices , very smart of you for holding on to a tube!
    I was looking for the emoticon for "jealous" but there isnt one.
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options

I forgot I started this thread a decade ago... after reading it again, I wonder why the 2007-W Burnished $25 Gold Eagles never took off with the lower mintage...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interests and collectors change over time.... One can never be certain (except in rare cases) that the focus/value of one type of coin (when new to market) will maintain over the years, or that subsequent similar issues will also be popular. A fickle market we deal in.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I've got a tube of the $25 1991 AGE's, guess its time to have them graded.

How long have you had them? I watched these steadily increase in value until I decided it was too late in the game to acquire one. Those were back in the days when the money spigot wasn't flowing like the monetary fire hose we have going on now...l...

I knew it would happen.