Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So what are your collecting goals for 2011?

I've got three or four sets teed up for completion, further consolidation of my collection, and later next year a further branching out into unopened packs.

How about y'all?
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a pending deal to sell a major portion of my collection.

Am seriously considering selling my 55 Topps set (now 14th on the Registry) either privately, or via consignment/auction house. The thought of owning a new corvette is tugging at me more than the thrill of collecting. If you've ever owned a new corvette, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I also have a lot of loose stuff I may put up on eBay, time will tell...don't need the money, but, for me, I think it's just a matter of time before I fade away.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    My goals are to hit .300, score 100 runs, and stay injury-prone. Oh wait, that's not me, that's Mickey Rivers.

I would like to get the last 5 cards I need for my PSA 4/5/6 graded 1954 Topps set (they are Aaron, Banks, Kaline, Mays, and Berra, so that's unlikely) and the last dozen or so I need for my PSA 4/5/6 1955 Topps set (fortunately these are, for the most part, commons or high numbers).

Strangely enough, I'm also becoming increasingly interested in the 1975-1979 Hostess cards (brings me right back to my youth), I'm just trying to figure out if I want to collect them graded or raw and in panels or individually.

There was once a board member whose sig line read something along the lines of "unorganized, unfocused collector of everything". That pretty much sums up me. I'd like to think I could change that in 2011, but . . . it's doubtful.

Ron, with regards to the unopened packs, is that to personally collect a "run" of them, or to buy and rip?
  • Options
    I like to make attainable goals:
    Scale down collection a bit more
    Add at least one new Byron Scott card to collection
    Break a few boxes of cheap junk wax
    Not start collecting anything new/different without making sure that it's not done solely out of boredom
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    To buy back everything I had to sell in 2010.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I would like to pick up another 33 goudey Ruth PSA 2 and a 91 Playball Joe Diamggio PSA 4 for my Yankee collection, finish the 1960's for my Topps Yankee team sets and finish my Yankee team set run of Upper Deck.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    1) fine-tuning and upgrading a raw '69T baseball set to ultimate completion w/variations......thanks to RB and others here for getting me hooked, still my favorite set by a very wide margin over any other

2) casually working on my '72-'73T raw basketball set, which i also happen to love, but it will always be my ugly stepchild. see #1

3) coming to terms with my childhood, namely......the Dodgers.....after so many years of avoidance, i finally realized that as long as i excluded images from my life that gave me the most pleasure, i would only be depriving myself of something good.....i grew up with them, they were my team, my friends, my acquaintances, and my collection needs them.....i've already found some nice cards of the players i remember best, Three-Dog, Double D, Sutton, Parker.....and still looking for the ultimate perfect Sizemore/Sudakis RC.

as for several thousand other cards, they will eventually be doomed to redistribution, and hopefully the adopting families will show them more kindness and love than i did just keeping them locked up in a cold, dark room.
  • Options
    To finish up my '65 & '66 Topps BB sets. Then, to concentrate more on high grade HOFers instead of sets. Also, would like to start a display of empty vintage wax boxes sometime in 2011. To top it all off, planning to attend my 1st National in Chicago this August.
  • Options
    Continue working on my Cardinals team sets and Bob Gibson master set, maybe slow down a bit on my recent purchasing pace a bit. Of course cards might just go on the back burner if I can find 100+ acres of land within an hour of me at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Not many for me this year. Would like to add a couple big items to my Musial Master Registry.

1952 Redman PSA 7+
    1956 PM 15 pin PSA 7+
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    This year I got interested in sets rather than individual stars, so my goal is to finish:

1956 Topps - I have most of the stars graded and am buying nicely centered raw cards. Maybe halfway through right now.
    1964 Topps - mostly VG/EX raw cards from childhood and decided to finish the set

Probably going to start the 57 and 61 Topps sets, mostly raw with some graded stars. These I'll be very picky about on centering, I think both sets are stunning when centered.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    This is what I wrote last year:

1. Finish my Clemente Basic set, only 8 more
    2. Finish the other smaller sets on the registry
    3. Start a 1965 Topps Baseball set in PSA 6 or better

This is mine this year:

1. Still need to finish my Clemente Basic Set....STILL need the rookie! Can't seem to find a 4 or 5 at reasonable price that is also centered.
    2. Thanks to watching Matt (MBMiller) build his Musial set, I've decided to collect the Basic Musial Set, I've already purchased 3 cards, so I only need 7 more, but that still might take me all year.
    I have a new addition coming in January that I might have to focus on for a while.

Edited: I guess I'm not going to ever really start a whole set. Last year, I wrote I was going to start the '65 Baseball set, now, I think I just like collecting certain players.
  • Options
    My Collecting Goals For 2011:
    Flesh out my Modern RC Slab Collection
    Hope to add BGS/PSA/SGC Rookie Cards of:
    Maravich, Simpson, Clarke, Sittler, Bradshaw, Dionne, Lafleur, Erving, Staubach, Harris
    Stabler, Potvin, Swann, Yount, Rice, Eckersley, Payton, Dorsett, Bossy, Gretzky
    Bird/Magic, Messier, Montana, Lemieux, Roy, Jordan, Barkley, Ewing, K Malone
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Organize into three groups, sets I am building, singles I want to keep, and stuff I want to dump. It will take all year to accomplish this. Selling will start 2012 or 2013. Got lots of stuff, vintage BKB, BB, HKY, FB, non-sports, etc. to get rid of. As for buying, only an occasional "deal" I come across, and maybe a real nice PSA Clemente 63.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Complete my Nolan Ryan master set. 38 to go!
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Complete my 1991 Topps Desert Shield in PSA 9 or better and pick up some HOFers in higher grade.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    My goal is to sell everything I own or throw it out.

I need less clutter in my life.

(this is not a spam offer)
    Good for you.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

I went dormant on collecting for a while (bought some big-ticket non-collectibles purchases). I'm still buying some though.

I think my ongoing goal right now is to sell off extras I don't need - especially graded ones.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping to have more time to spend looking at my collection. It seems like I have bought a lot in the last couple of years and most of them have just been put away. I want to examine the cards, read the backs, maybe sell anything that I have lost interest in, etc...
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been focused on finishing my 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8 for several years. I had hoped to finish in 2011 but when reality sets in I know I probably won't get it done. My short term goal for 2011 is get the biggies, Mantle, Aaron, Mays and put a large dent in the set. I am presently just short of 90% complete.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I know my goal for 2012 is to purchase another home image

I'm moving (again) mid-January and am in the process of selling 99% of the collectibles I own.

For about a year and a half I've been selling and when I think I've just about sold everything off...another packed away box of stuff is found.

Unfortunately, with this next move whatever is left (outside of what stays in my collection) I cannot take with me.

So, for 2011, my collecting goals are to pick up some nice raw HOF hockey cards and store them away in a small box.

I'm thinking something like the first five or ten base cards of each HOF player. For '11 I'll focus on the inexpensive ones (80s) and gradually go to 70s, 60s, et cetera, while picking up a few nice stars here and there.

I abandoned a low grade Gretzky collection because I don't care too much on how the PSA flips look up on the wall. IMO cards look nicer displayed in cardsaver 2s...below are a couple pictures.

When I get another house of my own I plan to display the HOF cards like this, covering most of the walls

• Options
    I want to finish my 1956 Topps BB set in 2011. Just as mentioned above...graded big stars and the rest in good, clean raw cards. I still need about 115 cards. The Mantle card is looming, and that might be a difficult purchase for me because I want it to be graded and consistent with the rest of the cards in the set (Ideally a 7, but I may have to go as low as a 5 if money is tight).

Also, I want to finish my 1975 Topps BB Mini set. I only need 71 cards for this one, so it shouldn't be too hard at all. Some stars, but mostly commons.

I'd love to sell off a bunch of stuff too, maybe to fund the things mentioned above. I have childhood hand-built sets from 1977-199o, autographed items, and some random star cards from 50, 60, 70, 80's.

Basically, I only want the cards that I want. I've spent the past 3 decades moving and lugging this crap from house to house with me. I want my collection - when finished - to be small, but quality.

P.S. Click the links in my sig and help me out!
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My goal is to sell everything I own or throw it out.

I need less clutter in my life.

(this is not a spam offer) >>

Im right there with you Steve. Im going to get rid of EVERYTHING except for my Roop box full of 1950s Baseball. I would love to have my collection narrowed to just one box.
  • Options
    I have recently sold off the last of my extra 1979 Topps hockey cards that I've collected over the last few years just trying to get gradeable cards. Who would have thought that I would need to buy 100K cards just to get a strong PSA gradeable set.

Now that I'm done liquidating all the extra's my focus for 2011 will be to get my 1979-80 Topps Hockey Registry set to #1

I think it can be done this year with some luck!!!
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    My collecting goal is the same as it was in 2009 and 2010. I want to finish my Ripken Basic Set Registry in all PSA 10. I never knew these last cards would be so difficult, and expensive. It's still fun for me, and that's what it's all about. image
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    My goal is to continue to find cool Ripken stuff!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Two goals for me, a decent, psa 4-6 1953 Mantle to complete my raw/graded set, and find the 51 1978 psa9 or better baseball cards I need to finish that one.

Tim
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Consolidation!

(and don't buy more crap!)
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    It seems every year the bar for my collecting goals gets raised higher and higher.

Here goes.

1) The 1983 Topps baseball I'm collecting for our son Mark , has only 105 more -- 10's to go. No one has ever put a medium size or larger Topps baseball set together with all 10's. I'd LOVE to get all 792 cards in 10's. I have a feeling I'm going to die before it gets there.

2) The 1984 Topps baseball set I'm collecting for our son Joseph is not far behind the 83's in the 10's as well. Same goal , different set.

3) I'm working on the 1966 Topps baseball set . My goal is to get to at least 35% in 9's. I've got a good start but the ORCs in DC may finish trashing the place and my income/ spending needs may change.

4) My funnest set to play with -- Sonny's Poor but Mighty --- HOF players set , is finally in the top 20. I'd like to get the set in the top 10.

5) I have numerous other sets that get bump ups as I get the urge. My hope is they get better.

6) My MOST important goal is to continue to meet fellow collectors. We may differ in many ways , but we have much in common as well.

GOD bless---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Year 6 (or 7 not sure anymore lol) working on my 1915 Cracker Jack set. Would like to get the #7 I am missing and a few upgrades.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My goal for 2011 is to be at 50% of my Clemente master set.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Will continue with my just started goal of 1953 Bowman color set in PSA 5/6, and hopefully finish getting rid of all the stuff I don't want (been a 3 or 4 yr effort). Will also try to avoid feeding my Heritage addition this yr, but the Koufax rumor isn't helping.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    1) Finish my Desert Shield team sets in 9/10 (only need 1 more for my Braves set).
    2) Decide whether or not to tackle the entire Desert Shield set (tempting, but very daunting).
    3) Sell off my 86/87 Fleer basketball graded material. I have 25% of the set in 9/10 but don't have the capital to finish the set and its not a priority anymore (I'll keep only the Jordan, Ewing, Barkely, and Wilkins, but all the commons and semi-stars must go).
    4) Go to more shows and buy more raw material. I want to fill up my registry sets with more stuff that I've found and subbed to PSA vs. just buying on Ebay.
    5) Build out the composite on the Bobby Cox manager set.
    6) Find 1 vintage set (tobacco) and get interested enough to buy a few.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    PSA 7 Pete Rose Rookie 50/50 centered and PSA 7 Nolan Ryan rookie...Been looking for the Rose going on 3 years.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Atlanta Braves team set, Topps run 66-10
    Bobby Cox Raw manager master set, still working on the checklist
    Getting some good deals on my Dale Murphy Master set.

collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to finish 4-5 more NBA/ABA World Champion Media Guides and come close to finishing my All Star MVP signed baseball set. With cards, I'm now really relegated to picking and choosing where I buy raw cards to get signed. I can no longer afford to collect graded sets. I've pared down the graded cards I have that I care about to my 61 Fleer set, 38 Churchman set and Red Sox rookies. Everything else can be gone for all I care.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to complete my 1955 Parkhurst wrestling set in PSA 5 or better, right now I have 102 of 121. I only had a handful at the beginning of the year so 2010 was quite successful although that is largely due to one big purchase.

Continue to work away at the signed wrestling all stars cards, I have 66 of 108.

I want to get my n28 Allen and Ginter cards in PSA 7. I have three of the seven wrestlers in this grade.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    To get this new job I have been hoping for so I can afford to buy cards I want.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    Not much.

My sportscard collecting days are kind of on pause. There's nothing that jumps out at me as screaming buys, post 1970. I think the economy will stay in line or get worst in the next 2-3 years. Maybe sportscards will benefit from that....if people go into hard assets, commodities in general. Cards and collectibles will get the spill over effect. But I'm not going to buy any cards on an investment basis.

-I think one of my overall goals is to restart my GI Joe collection, from 1982 to 88. I started a few years ago. And maybe get into collecting nintendo (nes) games. My long term goals for cards...

-Boxes of opc hockey. 80-81 and 81-82.
    -Basketball insert sets from the early and middle 90's.
    -Some modern baseball stuff I don't have....like 84 fleer update set. 82 topps traded ripken.
    -Maybe one of the big iconic cards like a namath rookie or alcindor.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Need to find the Manley "substance abuse" error in PSA 8 or better in 2011. Not having one is starting to make me all twitchy...
  • Options
    I just searched for and found the "2010 Goals" thread. In it I wrote:

"I'm not sure if I can, but I'd like to complete my 1962 Topps Basic Set Registry.

Wow. It's been a loooong time in the making. I started building it in 2004 with a MN Twins card (#584) in PSA 7. I overpaid for it but I just wanted to upgrade that card in my raw set. Little did I know what it would lead to as I discovered PSA and the Set Registry!
    "

I'm down to ONE card I need -- #400 Elston Howard in PSA 7 or 8 -- so I'm close to reaching this year's goal! I had one Elston lined up as I made an offer on a BIN PSA8 two or three weeks ago, but the seller lowered the price before I could read his message and someone else grabbed it. Drats! image There's still a slight chance I'll finish the set this calendar year, but if not, next year for sure.

The rest of the time I'm going to enjoy the set. As Steve E. (seinbigd) started doing with his '62T set, I want to scan and upload every card, including the green tint variations for everyone to see. I'll be posting the results here when I've finished that.

Otherwise, I need to sell off the duplicates and other graded cards I've picked up over the years and build the savings account back up. My wife and I need to downsize our "collection of collections". My brother and his family in MN want to visit us this summer, so we have some incentive to clean this place up. Making a room available to display and enjoy my stuff is in the plans, too.

Best of luck on all the well-thought out goals here! imageimage
  • Options
    I pretty much kept my goal for 2010:

"My goal probably is in the minority here, but my collecting goal for 2010 is not to spend any money on cards or memorabilia, but rather to look into my own collection and work with what I currently have."

Instead of making big purchases this year I took my 1981 OPC Stickers and began building the set through TTMs.

In the first year I have 131/269 of the stickers signed and I guess I forgot to mention that I will continue to work on this set throughout 2011.

I missed out on a Potvin, Bossy, and Gretzky signing in 2010 which equals 18 cards in the set.
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Buy more raw cards, grade more cards, have fun, enjoy the hobby. Just the usual stuff!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (1) To build a 1973 Topps raw set. I have complete Topps sets from 2010 back to 1974 including all Traded and Update sets.

(2) To continue to add to my Cardinals team set collection. I will do that by continuing to look for more vintage Topps inserts and test issues. I will also start Topps Chrome from 1996 (when Chrome started) to present. I might start O-Pee-Chee as well.

(3) To build a T206 complete set including Wagner, Plank, and Doyle error.

(4) To scale back my expectations.

Shane

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    MC,

Congrats on completing the DS Braves set!! Come join the fun in the entire set image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I am going to complete my second run of personal Topps Sets from '60 - '85, hopefully in the same or better condition. I actually have 3 of a lot of them but will sell the extras. I may try to go prior to '60 but that will take a lot more time and money. I need seconds of '61, '62, '63, '65, '71, and '73.
  • Options
    I'd like to get to 300 on my Lawrence Taylor Master Set. I'm 21 cards away from that number now.
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Options
    Anybody going to lose weight?
  • Options
    Lose 25 pounds and start a collection for my sons. The most important is writing a letter, to them, for every purchase I make for them.
  • Options
    Relatively new here, but I want to complete my 1960 Topps raw baseball set and start my baseball HoF rookie collection.

P.S. anyone with a good amount of raw 1960 topps commons/minor stars, hit me up if you want to get rid of some.
    Joel
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    I want to continue upgrading my 1950s and 1960s sets, especially 1951 Bowman Ford, Berrra, Fox, and Mays in PSA 5.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.