Home Metal Detecting
Options

Coinstar machines and corroded pennies

This may have been discussed before but will Coinstar take the corroded pennies that you find detecting after they have been cleaned up? Some of mine are just pretty bad.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the degree of 'badness'. I know that is not a good answer, however, it is true. If all lumpy, or significant material is missing, they will be rejected. If smoothed from cleaning, and most of the weight is still intact, the machine accepts them. One of the best ways I have seen for zincolns to be cleaned, is in a vibratory cartridge cleaner with corn cob or walnut media. Tends to remove the grundge and smooth out the lumps. Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    they usually spit them out.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    throw 'em in but be sure to take out the horribly corroded and bent ones. I jammed the Coinstar a couple of weeks ago (fortunately after 98% had already been inserted). Took the Walmart employees 15 minutes to figure out what to do. Turns out some of the change got stuck inside and jammed it... the worker said "that's what it is... dirty money."

"how the heck did that dirty money get in there?" image
  • Options
    "how the heck did that dirty money get in there?" image Good one, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A board member saved me $5+ dollars at the Coinstar machine. I didn't realize that you had a "gift card" option. I chose the JCPenny one for my wife. After waiting about 5 min for it to process it came back on the screen with "tech difficulties" and gave me a voucher for the amount with "NO" fee. image I did run the corroded ones through 3 times before I quit and it took over a 100 of them. It did kick out a 1914 wheat cent that I didn't know was in there. I guess I should look at the cents a little more closely.
  • Options
    Did the 1914 have a D mint mark?? If so, big bucks - but I guess you would have said that already. Oh well, we can dream...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I received a 1776/1976-S silver proof quarter in change one day. The reason I know it is a proof coin, is the proof set for those coins is the only silver one of that year minted with the S mint mark.
  • Options
    That would be the ONLY silver one, period. Nice find. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I took a bucket of pennies to the CoinStar to get a giftcard. At $9.17 the machine jammed on the crustys. An employee came and opened the machine to unjam and the machine spit out a voucher for $8.27. I had to start over and got a $10 gift card with the next $10. Had to watch out for the worst coins. Lesson learned... No fee gift card is a nice option but don't jam the machine in the process.
  • Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Coinstar? TD bank and Commerze bank have machines that pay 100%. If you are near one check it out.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Coinstar? TD bank and Commerze bank have machines that pay 100%. If you are near one check it out. >>

I checked, no TD or commerce banks within 300 miles of me.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I received a 1776/1976-S silver proof quarter in change one day. The reason I know it is a proof coin, is the proof set for those coins is the only silver one of that year minted with the S mint mark. >>

??? You could also get the 3 piece 40% silver set in the uncirculated version that had S mint marks as well in 1976...