Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1952 Topps set build

I know other threads have been started for building the 52 Topps set, but they usually fizzle out for some reason or another. I don't plan on letting that happen. I'm not saying i'm going to be putting this together at a record pace either. I will pick up cards as I have extra money available. I'm not a wealthy man by any means and don't plan on building a very high grade set. I'm going to stick with PSA 5's and 6's for now. I'll be posting pictures of cards as I recieve them so follow along if your interested. Here's the first card that I just got in the mail.

Thanks for reading
Jeff

Comments

• I'd like to ask: what does anyone building this set do when 'Mantle time' comes???

Will you actually drop $10-15K for the card?
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Nice card to start your journey, and best of luck. The longer it takes, the sweeter it will be when you get that last card!

I am doing the same thing with the '56 baseball set. I have gotten a good start on it this year, but the pace will now slow down dramatically. I'm looking at it as a 10-year project, so I have to average a little over two cards a month from here on out.

(Also, yeah........ what is your Mantle strategy??)

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jeff,

Good luck with the set. In addition to the "Mantle Strategy", what's it going to cost for the high numbers in that condition? If you don't mind asking, what did that high number cost you? I'm sure you have looked into it ... WITHOUT the Mantle, what do you think the set is going to cost in that grade? To me a '52 set in 5/6 IS a HIGH graded set.

Edited to add: OK, I see it cost $200.00 for Pellagrini
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Good luck with your search, and have fun with it. It is one of the great sets ever. As far as the Mantle goes, cross that bridge when you come to it and just keep on working on other cards in the set in mean time.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    good luck

i'm doing it in raw condition low's between psa 4-6 condition and a little less for hi's. my mantle is going to be PSA graded, i think it has to be, probably a 1-2 what ever i can afford at the time. i'll need to upgrade a couple i have but i'll do that as the cards pop up. i have some graded in PSA 5-6-7 so if you need some let me know if you have raw to trade

good luck with yours
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread on the Set Registry Board might be a little helpful on your journey. Here's the link: "Official '52 Set Thread"
  • vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    As for my Mantle strategy I havn't put a ton of thought into it yet. Like pigs said i'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Most likely I will get a lower grade one. Probably a PSA 3

I figure the set will cost somewhere in the range of $60,000 to complete. If anyone can help out with some cards feel free to contact me. Thanks Jeff
    A couple more commons arrived today.

• mine will be in the psa 1-2 range lol
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    Very nice Coogan. I assume that's a hair on the scanner.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Looking at this tread made me go to THE REGISTRY to look at some of the '52 sets. Marshall Fogel has the Mantle in a "TEN"!! Amazing ... he has a picture of it as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I have a PSA 5 Curt Simmons if you are looking for that one. Just take a look in my photobucket under "Graded Cards"

<< <i>Very nice Coogan. I assume that's a hair on the scanner. >>

Yes thats a hair from my dog on the scanner. No matter what the dog hair seems to get everywhere.

Very nice Curt Simmons Yankeeno7. I'm definitely interested. Could you please PM me your price. Thanks.
  • canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting to see your approach. Around Thanksgiving, I decided I was going to do the '52 Topps set so started with a "2" Mantle but haven't really gotten past that point yet. My strategy will be to pick up a "lot" of the high numbers, as the basic set seems pretty easy to me.
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
    Here was the Mantle I started with... nicely centered IMO.

imageimage
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
  • good luck on your set!
    Good Luck to ALL you guys who are attempting to put together THE SET! Keep us in the loop.

BTW ... I agree, that's a nice looking "2". Centering on that card is important, IMO.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Here was the Mantle I started with... nicely centered IMO.

imageimage >>

Nice Mantle! If you don't mind me asking how much did you pick it up for?
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good Luck to ALL you guys who are attempting to put together THE SET! Keep us in the loop.

BTW ... I agree, that's a nice looking "2". Centering on that card is important, IMO. >>

I fully second what my good freind Doug Sez.If I were 20 years younger I would start the set even if they were all Poor.I kringe when I think of how many times I ran across 52 topps for a buck a piece or less in the early to mid 70s.All I bought were 1952 Tiger Cards at that time and never considered the entire set.Now I wish I had.I was single then and had money to spend.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    PWCC seems to have some '52 Topps that are really cheap according to VCP averages......they are selling on Ebay now.....

<< <i>Nice Mantle! If you don't mind me asking how much did you pick it up for? >>

No worries. A tick under $5k. I purchased it online and when I got it in hand, I was quite pleased. It was actually much nicer than the scans appear. All in all, I am quite happy with it.
    Well I recieved a couple more cards this last week. Unfortunately I havn't been able to add them to my set yet because someone still has them listed in their inventory. The Joe Rossi is a little farther off center then I would like, but it will do for now.

• Very cool looking cards. Keep posting them as you add them...
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
    Just got my first big card from the postman today. It has the black back which has a much lower pop then the redback, but that just might be because there hasn't been a lot of them relabeled.

Another one added to the set. I'm loving the high numbers!!!

I noticed there's another member that just started this set doing a similar thread as this one. I think its awesome!! Keeps me motivated seeing his progress. Well here's another couple of beautifully centered high numbers that I recieved. Please feel free to leave comments or critcisms.

Thanks for looking
    Jeff

As i've been registering all the cards purchased on the PSA website i've also been keeping track of what each card cost me. I've now added that total to my sig line and will edit it with every card purchased so that anyone interested can see what this beast cost. I'm only 10 cards in and the number is already pretty high. Have a great day.
    A couple more added to the set. I'm still intrigued by the high numbers.

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That's a great set to go after and I like the way you're paying attention to centering (although the Yvars bothers me with the diamond cut). It's also cool that you're tracking the cost since we're always to polite to ask. Keep it up and good luck!

"Molon Labe"

After a bit of a break from this beast I just picked up a couple more. I said this wasn't gonna be a fast mover, but I won't give up no matter how long it takes.

• YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Nice additions. Keep it going image
  • Actually looking for a mantle in psa 3-7 lmk if you find one...
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    You could knock the whole thing out in tonight's Legendary auction.
    Added 2 more high numbers to the set. Boy these high numbers sure get expensive.

4 more cards added to the set. My first HOF and 3 more high numbers.

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    You have a nice set going Jeff. I also have been collecting the '52 set (among others) for years now. You are much more advanced in the high numbers than I. Just got this Post in the mail today. Very difficult to find a centered left to right card of him. Keep up the good work, it looks like you are plugging right along. Nice George Kell by the way. Take care. Doug

Long overdue update. Still plugging along slowly. 2 more cards added.

• pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Jeff - scans sent.
    Thanks for the update. Always nice to watch someone building a '52 set. Don't see it too often.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Awesome quest! After this, you can do the T206 set image
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Jeff...love those centered copies. You probably outbid me on them...lol. Enjoy the ride!

Jeff
  • i plan to bulid a horizontal signed set...
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    Keep it rollin. That Seminick looks better than a 5 IMO. Doug
    Some more beauties just came in the mail. Thanks to fellow board member pclpads (Dave) for selling me these. On the advice of an earlier post from piggs I picked up the well centered Wally Post and some other hard to find centered cards.

Very nice pickups. Love the centering.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    I am a football collector, and know virtually nothing about this set, or any other baseball set for that matter. I have a question though. Do all the black backs have the name of the player offcenter in the box on the front? eg.Pafko. Good luck with this monster. You look as though you are moving right along with it.
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Jeff - thanks for the pub. They all look so good posted, almost wish I'd kept them! LOL! Great luck on your pursuit!
    Dave

<< <i>I am a football collector, and know virtually nothing about this set, or any other baseball set for that matter. I have a question though. Do all the black backs have the name of the player offcenter in the box on the front? eg.Pafko. Good luck with this monster. You look as though you are moving right along with it. >>

Interesting observation. To answer your question the blacks and redbacks are the same in regards to there names on the front. I dont know what determined the placement of names in those boxes. Maybe someone with more insight can chime in and answer that question.
    Really nice cards. The Crandall is even tougher to find centered left to right than the Post, so you did very well on both. Keep it going. Doug