Home Precious Metals

NOT and OT thread!

Had a few questions that directly relate to what we all do here. Buying & selling PM's & coins.

What are you currently paying for fuel to drive to your local B&M's, and how far are you driving, and what are those local B&M's wanting you to pay for the PM that you are buying?

Here's mine: Currently $2.96/gal., driving about a 20 mile radius to reach all 12 that I deal with, and they are asking on avg. $19.40 x face for 90% silver.

What's yours?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Interesting question, I see where you're going with this.

fuel: $2.67
    mileage: 16 miles round trip
    B&M 90% sell price (if they have any): 19-19.5x

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭
    fuel:$3.29
    mileage is about 40miles round trip. I live out in the boonies. image
    They sell for around 20x. I haven't been there lately. That quote was when silver was around $26. Needless to say, most my silver has been bought off the forums or Ebay.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Fuel $2.59
    about 12 miles round trip to the only 1 in town
    buying 90% at 16X selling 90% 20X
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    $4.50 subway round trip.
    I usually go there for windows shopping but mainly buy online so I don't know what they sell 90% for.

I have 2 more small B&M (with a little inventory) at 5 minutes walk from my office.
  • Fuel: $2.60/gal.

Only place even remotely close... 27 miles, 54 round trip.

90%? Dont know. Only been there once, and im giving it some time before I go back. Thats why Im always on the forums or EBay buying.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    well at least 5 people think this is relevant image
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    an, not and
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    "For some, online shopping seems like a luxurious experience. After all, you don’t have to leave the house and deal with traffic; you have your packages delivered to your door and only need to point and click to make a purchase. It seems unlikely that cybershopping could lead to savings, but it can, in a variety of ways.

One of the most obvious ways that online shopping can save you money is by saving you the gas and associated car maintenance costs that come with driving. It may not seem like much, but the half hour you spend in the car driving to and from the store can add up in terms of both mileage and your time, which presumably is also worth money. It may also save you money on headache medicine, if you tend to do your errands during rush hour.

Online shopping definitely does save time, and for most, time is money. If you decide that you want to buy a new DVD player, for example, you can use online price comparisons to determine which store in your town has the best price on the item. Then, you also have the option of going to pick it up yourself, but unlike regular shopping, where you either drive from store to store looking for the best deal, or get impatient and pays the asking price at the first store
    you stop at, with online price comparisons you know exactly which store carries the item you are looking for at the best price and whether or not the item is in stock. So if you do end up in the car, at least you are not driving around wasting more time and gas looking for the best deal.

To do an online price comparison, simply go to a site such as Yahoo Shopping and enter the item that you want, in this example, a DVD player. The site will then offer you the choice of searching by brand, price range or most popular items. You choose your search terms, and the search engine will return results on a variety of DVD players from many different stores. You decide which DVD player that you want, which is becoming easier as well, since the sites offer full product specifications and even ratings and detailed reviews of the product. After you decide which player you want, you look at the stores that are selling it for the best price. Chances are, either you will save so much money by going with one particular store that you will save money in spite of the shipping costs, or you will quickly discover which store in your area carries the exact DVD player that you want for the best price. Be sure to use the feature that allows you to check and see if it is in stock. Most stores’ web pages will facilitate this.

Let’s discuss product reviews. Who do you trust more, a salesperson working on commission, or someone who has bought the same exact product that you are considering buying? Take advantage of reading the reviews that are written by other online shoppers and see if you are getting a lemon. Often, reviews can tell you about glitches that the product has, if it is lacking features and other useful tidbits of information. If several people have posted lackluster or negative reviews, you may save yourself a bundle by investigating an alternative product. On the other hand, if you see that the product reviews are primarily positive, then you can buy with confidence.

Another way that individuals use online shopping to save money is by carefully tracking items that they want on online auctions. This is not a good way to save money unless you have already done your homework on the price and know exactly what it is that you want. If you are looking for a specific item, however, an online auction can be the way to go. Be careful not to get sucked into the bidding wars. Decide how much money you are willing to pay before you ever bid, and then use an auction sniper, which is software that will bid your maximum bid (although you may not end up paying that much) during the last few seconds of the auction. That way, you do not have to be near the computer at the end of the auction, and will not be tempted to get in a bidding war. The auction sniper knows your bottom line, and will stick to it, even if you are outbid.

One thing that not many people are aware of is that you can avoid paying taxes if you shop at an online store that is not located in your state. Yes, you will still pay shipping, one of the downsides of online shopping, but often, the tax savings will cancel out your shipping costs. When you factor in the savings in taxes, gas, price comparisons, eliminating the purchase of items with unsatisfactory performance, and the time you will save, cybershopping can definitely be a sweetheart of a deal."

So is this where you were headed?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So is this where you were headed? >>

Brilliant deduction...Dear Watson.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    no it was not, but thanks for sharing. I actually prefer getting out and driving around, but I was just curious what you all prefer. With 12 B&M's (there's actually more, but I dont deal with a few) within a 20 mile radius of me, it makes for a nice afternoon making the rounds. Somethin to do kind of thing not to mention I am by far more of a face to face guy than chirping on these chat boards LOL...or is that already obvious?
  • bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    I am sorry to say my friend, that all you do is chirp on these boards!
    Well at least i'm not alone. LOL. What I cant understand is how people have their mind made up about something they know nothing about???
    Well here we are more than 2 months later.

Gas is $3.19, Diesel is $3.68 and dealers are generally asking $20.20 x face for 90%. So it's costing me more all around to do this. What little I might make is being eaten up by more expensive fuel costs. image
  • AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭

<< <i>One thing that not many people are aware of is that you can avoid paying taxes if you shop at an online store that is not located in your state. Yes, you will still pay shipping, one of the downsides of online shopping, but often, the tax savings will cancel out your shipping costs. When you factor in the savings in taxes, gas, price comparisons, eliminating the purchase of items with unsatisfactory performance, and the time you will save, cybershopping can definitely be a sweetheart of a deal."

So is this where you were headed?
    image >>

You're still supposed to pay those taxes you avoid by shopping online at the end of the year. The way to avoid sales tax is to fill out a tax exemption form and give it to all the shops you purchase from. You need not be a business to do this.
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    gas is $3.37 and the closest B&M is a 200 mile round trip...so I dont really know what they.re payin
  • What is a b&M?? Never set foot in one.
    Buy the dips!!!
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Brick & Mortor =B&M =coin shopimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • there is also gas in relation to the other BM, it's just much cheaper and unless you do not have indoor plumbing you do not have to travel far. Those "cash4gold" B&M's are worse than BM's!
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭
    coins, not coin's