Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Large cent opinions please 1845

I wondered what members might think of this one.

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    That's not an N-7, is it?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't known anything about Newcomb numbers, but grade wise it would be an EAC grade VF-25 (EAC grading is super tough) or a comercial grade EF. It's a nice cent, but a bit too chippy for my taste.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF40-45 details, possibly recolored at one time (many of them have been). Maybe it's the photo, but the color just doesn't look right, and there seems to be hints of pink peeking through on the high spots. I know from personal experience that large cents can be hard to photograph. Other than that, it's a decent collectible cent for an album, etc.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Thank you gentlemen , i don't know much about these but seem to be drawn to them.You've given me much to find out on a rainy day , i don't know what a n N-7 is so the kettle will go on and i'll read , thanks again.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't known anything about Newcomb numbers, but grade wise it would be an EAC grade VF-25 (EAC grading is super tough) or a comercial grade EF. It's a nice cent, but a bit too chippy for my taste. >>

Chippy!!! That's the perfect word! I have been looking for a descriptive word for just what we see here, and have failed to think of one. I love it! I will use it often.

Some of my other numismatic terms include; Scruddy (dirty, cruddy and a bit rough...but not so much as to be considered corroded or granular.) Ori-clean (has an original look but has been cleaned at some time.) Circ-Cam (not my term, but a great one.) Dudley (dull, ugly dud...it's not original, and has nothing going for it IMHO,) Glare (you know those coins that are dipped and give of a painfully harsh shine.)
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    N-7 would be nice, being an R-5 an' all.
  • Options
    I can find lots of references to N7 and even R5 with everything in between , nothing to tell me what those letters and numbers mean though.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks circulated image

But seriously, not bad for a Dansco inclusion.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about the color on this... is the white balance a bit off (ie: is the background shot on a white piece of paper?). I have the same problem with my Nikon Coolpix.

Anyway, the reverse looks OK except for the hit above "ONE". The obverse looks like it may have had some light corrosion removed and then it was recolored? It does look a bit "scruffy" as Bill put it. Not bad for a Dansco album.
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

<< <i>I can find lots of references to N7 and even R5 with everything in between , nothing to tell me what those letters and numbers mean though. >>

Since you're a fellow Yuengling fan and all, here's a little illumination.
    N stands for Newcomb, an early researcher of large cent die varieties dated from 1816 to 1857. Each date has varieties listed N1 through Nx, depending on the known varieties for that date. Further research into each die variety gives experts a means to 'rate' the scarcity of each Newcomb variety, with R1 being common, up through R8 (very rare) and in some cases NC (non collectible, due extreme scarcity, only a couple known). R5 is fairly scarce, I'm guessing less than 100 known - however, note that these ratings change as more are discovered, and also are a little less relevant for the "late date" large cents like this, as the varieties are much harder to see, and in less demand than the rare variety early dates.
    Also note that the dates prior to 1816 are identified via Sheldon numbers, so you will see dates like S48, S227, etc.
    Hope this helps a little!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Thanks guys , Walkerguy21D thank you very much , my eyes are bleeding reading text and i was no wiser.I figured it was something to do with dies , i'm glad i checked back.Of course i'm no closer to knowing what i have N7 or R5 or just a nice coin really.
    The only thing that stood out for me was looking at the date , it doesn't look like other 1845's , it's the 8 in particular that doesnt seem right.

Edited to add the pic was taken on a yellow padded envelope with a canon 530
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Here's a Newcomb 7. I can't tell if that's what yours is or not from your photos.

-Paul
  • Options
    Thanks Paul , a wee light has gone on in my head , i might have a nice coin here.I didn't know about the numbers , i just thought the 8 looked funny.Thank you for the link image
  • Options
    I'm almost certain that your coin does not match the example provided by coinkid.....look at the proximity of the date to the dentils, then compare the base of the 1 to the dentil locations on each coin. They must be different varieties, and if Paul's is an N-7, then your coin is another one.
  • Options
    Looking at it with a 30x loupe and counting the dentils/spacing , other than mine is a little more worn/circulated it looks pretty much identical.The difference between them must be miniscule.I'll blast it with the 150x celestron and get a pic.Thanks again Walkerguy21D image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuengling- great beer

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    It is that Coinkat : )

Here's a close up on the date guy's.The color's off because the celestron uses built in led lighting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file