Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Worth it to send this coin in for grading?

1921 Peace dollar

Also, does anyone happen to know the current greysheet on a 1916-D Mercury Dime graded by PCGS @ AG03?

Comments

• Options
    Not to me. Even if it grades AU50 you're looking at a $150 coin tops. I'd keep it raw for now.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, I am guessing your photos are way overexposed. I wouldn't send it in unless you want to keep it for yourself. Not enough to be made on it unless you got it dirt cheap.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    It would be a guarantee to a future buyer that the coin is a) not counterfeit and b) not damaged or improperly cleaned.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are a collector, keep it raw, if a dealer, seller, flipper, slab collector, grade centric - send it in. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is original and uncleaned, that coin has sufficient value that it would be worthwhile to send it in for slabbing.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1921 Peace dollars can be awfully tough to sell, regardless of what the price guides might suggest they are worth. This is true for certified pieces, too. I would keep it raw instead of sinking more money into the coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Looks like it was cleaned to me..
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. I won't send it in for grading for now. image
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...ya gotta think of your heirs. SLAB IT! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file