Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My visit to the travelling "Antiques Treasure Hunt" today, I'm sick at my stomach

So I'm coming from going to the bank earlier today and I get a call from my dad saying that he and my stepmom went to this travelling antique road show thing at one of the local hotel conference centers. They are going to be there all week and they appraise people's valuables and try to buy them. My dad was just going mainly to look and see what it was about but took a bunch of silver dollars just to see what they would offer for them. They offered $3 each, lol. He called me and told me about that and that there was an old couple with a couple of boxes of older looking baseball cards.

Since the hotel was only a few minutes away I decided to stop in. When I walked in the old couple was sitting at one of the tables by themselves with all of their cards and the guy at the table had stepped outside to make some calls to dealers and find out what the cards were worth, etc...I asked the couple if those were their cards and they said "yes, are you interested". They had all '56's all in top loaders and 2 huge boxes with 4 rows each. Easily 2000 cards. I said of course I was and I'd no doubt give them more than the company would. About that time, a girl that works for the company asked me if I had any items to sell. I said that I was just looking and she told me that I'd have to leave and couldn't undercut any deal they had working. I said, no problem, I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes. She told her boss that I wanted to buy the couple's cards and I said that I just wanted to have a chance to look at them and possibly buy them from the company if they bought them. They then told me that they didn't sell anything and the cards would be shipped out immediately if they bought them.

So I left and went to my car outside of the hotel. I called my dad and told him what happened. Shortly thereafter, the couple comes out and I talked to them for a long time. Long story short, the company told them that most of their cards weren't in mint condition, raw cards weren't worth anything since the grading thing came along, and there weren't many stars. The only cards the lady knew of that were in there was 2 '56 Hank Aaron's. So, they sold over 2000 '56's and god knows what stars were in there for $500!! Make me absolutely sick.

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    and you thought the Somali pirates were wicked.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    cant really feel sorry for people that dont do their homework...

it is a shame you didnt get a chance to talk to them longer inside...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    There's a sucka born every...........

Nothing that bad, but I've seen dealers grape older folks like this at shows who just walk in the door.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Well...did you at least have a chance to tell the people they got hosed, and you would have offered them $5,000?!?!?!
  • Options
    was the company that bought them named "waverly82"?

South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options

<< <i>Well...did you at least have a chance to tell the people they got hosed, and you would have offered them $5,000?!?!?! >>

That would be classless
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    i'm willing to bet some of us have a few empty notebooks laying around after a pleasant visit with a former collector.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like everyone is backwards...the people with good cards with value don't know/care what they get for them and people with cards worth almost nothing think they have a goldmine! image
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The road show is there to purchase items and ultimately make money. Some people think $500 is a goldmine. Take the time to put 2000 1956 cards in a box...some in top loaders and drive to a hotel to the roadshow and sell for $500 doesn't make alot of sense to me. To even think the old couple would have done that means they should have at the very least had them appraised and then walked away and reviewed their options. They knew they had something of value.....but; it goes back to the $500 is a ton of money to some people, especially ones that only think they are carrying a 10 LB box of cardboard.
  • Options

That reminds me of one episode on American Pickers where they bought a saddle from an old guy for $75 knowing full well it was worth thousands. Turns out it was worth approximately $6000.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I would have been more aggressive, I would have told them you would be waiting outside on the public street willing to offer double what these turds were. They can either sell to you then, or go back in and sell for what was offered.

I have been in this situation before and needless to say I ended up buying the items in question. Had the event people call the local police and the local police told them I wasn't doing anything wrong since I was waiting outside on a public street.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Modern day version of the "Mr. Mint" show.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Every Library or Borders has Price Guides, and 1956 Topps are easy to locate in the book.

Its their own fault. They should have figured cards that are 55 years old are worth more than 25 cents each....

It would be different story if they were ugly strip cards or oddball cards not thought to have value, but 1950s Topps cards are very well known to have some value (most non-collectors over value them though).
  • Options
    I would have told them that I'd have beaten any offer they would have made... Business is business
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've all seen some of corvette's offers. The old folks did better with the roadshow.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    The only thing that doesn't add up to me is that if they knew enough to get top loaders then they had talked to someone and/or read stuff on-line. Thus they would know their stuff was worth more than $500. Are you sure they sold for $500?
  • Options

<< <i>We've all seen some of corvette's offers. The old folks did better with the roadshow. >>

yeah, but he's infinitely more charming.

they missed out on a memorable human experience.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are all missing the big picture here, the real question is, was the girl that works for the company you talked for hot or not?
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We've all seen some of corvette's offers. The old folks did better with the roadshow. >>

yeah, but he's infinitely more charming.

they missed out on a memorable human experience. >>

"memorable experience" meaning these old folks avoided an awkward conversation with the bank teller after trying to deposit a bunch of benjamins with Tommy's racing stripes all over them.

• Options
    I had a similar situation back in the 80's. I had no idea what my cards were worth, but I had about 50 1952-1963 Ex-Mt to Mint cards, These included a 1962 Mantle, Yaz rookie, 63 Lou Brock, 59-63 Musial, and a few other stars. If they'd have offered $100 I'd have taken it. I got offered $30. I politely declined, and I was advised that new cards were the 'in' thing and these older cards had little value and they were doing me a favor offering me $30. A couple years later I ended up selling them for about $400, which was still pretty crappy, but not like the $30. I think they must figure that if they just find one or two suckers the money spent at the hotel was worth it.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.