Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Shop Lincoln cent find...what to do with them?

I visited a small town coin shop yesterday with little hope of finding anything. This dealer doesn't do shows, so everything he had was new to me. As I walked in the door of this small, one room cluttered shop I was greeted with a warm hello. He asked if he could help me, and I said I'd like to see any seated coins he might have. He brought out a tray, which had about 25 or so coins, but contained some very nice quality common pieces. They were also priced and way above retail, so i kindly passed. I asked to see any Barber material, lots of your typical low grade/bullion stuff although I did buy a very nice original xf 1908 quarter for $30. I went thru his Indian cents and the typical low end commons. Then I asked to see any Lincoln's. He had a binder he set in front of me. I opened the binder and right away I noticed many coins missing from this binder. It had many semi-keys in mid grade, not too unusual but I was kinda surprised. I did purchase a 23-S in choice AU from this book, but that was it. He said he had one more to look at, so I did. I opened it up and the first coin I see is a gem red/brown 1909, so I pull it out and he prices it very reasonably. Next I pull a 1910 choice red/brown unc. So to make a long story short I bought the 09,1910,a 1912, 1913, (2)1916, 1917, 1918-S, (2) 1919, 191-D and a 1920. These coins are all original, crusty red/brown choice to gem coins. I know these aren't rare, but are they worth a trip to PCGS? Greysheet values on most of these isn't very much. What would you do? I added a quick photo of a couple of the coins.

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd enjoy them raw.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

nice group of early lincolns. I like the color on that '16. enjoy them raw.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I would leave them raw...nice coins though image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep them raw. Nice coins. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin image
  • Options
    I wouldnt think that 09 is gem. Looks like rub on the vest?
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, they are all very original coins and I would see no value to slab them unless you trying for a matched grade/slab set. Even if you were to sell them they would not return your original purchase price plus the slab fees.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file