Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should a Gretzky rookie be graded, regardless of condition?

EDIT: SCROLL DOWN FOR PICS

Newbie question here:

I have several random cards in my collection from my youth. These are stand alone cards not tied to any complete sets I have. Glance at the list and tell me: Should these cards be sent in for grading? Or is grading not advised? I'm most curious about the Gretzky, Brett and Yount. I don't know much about grading, but it would seem that getting the Gretzky, Brett and Yount authenticated and graded couldn't hurt if I were ever to sell them. Am I right? Wrong?

1979-80 Gretzky rookie - I'd guess it's about a 6
1975 Topps Mini Brett - If it's not a 9, it MUST be an 8
1975 Topps Mini Yount - same as Brett
1968 Topps 'game' Mantle and Mays - probably about 5 on each
1969 Topps Mantle(s) - not sure if it's worth it. Both are creased, one quite heavily.
1970's Schmidt's and Ryan's - all probably in the 5-7 range
South of Heaven...North of Canada

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

1979-80 Gretzky rookie - I'd guess it's about a 6
    1975 Topps Mini Brett - If it's not a 9, it MUST be an 8
    1975 Topps Mini Yount - same as Brett
    1968 Topps 'game' Mantle and Mays - probably about 5 on each
    1969 Topps Mantle(s) - not sure if it's worth it. Both are creased, one quite heavily.
    1970's Schmidt's and Ryan's - all probably in the 5-7 range >>

If your plan is to sell them. The Gretzky yes (too many fakes)

Mini's -- No, since you are a newbie, they are most likely 7's
    1968 Game (don't know anything about them, so I won't comment)
    1969 Mantle no
    1970's unless they are locks for 9's I wouldn't waste the money no a large market for that low of grade of cards from the 70's
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really depends on what you want to do with the cards. I agree with Cory, definitely yes grade the Gretzky, even if you are going to keep it. The only other ones I would be curious about are the 70s Ryans. If you are talking 1970-1973 that may grade in the 5-7 range, you might consider getting those graded as well. Seeing the cards would really help! image
  • Options
    Ok, ...yea, I'll try to get to the basement in the next day or so to get good close-up pics of the cards (I don't own a scanner).

The Gretzky is real as I have had it since new.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    1979-80 Gretzky rookie - I'd guess it's about a 6 - YES
    1975 Topps Mini Brett - If it's not a 9, it MUST be an 8 - YES
    1975 Topps Mini Yount - same as Brett - YES
    1968 Topps 'game' Mantle and Mays - probably about 5 on each - NO
    1969 Topps Mantle(s) - not sure if it's worth it. Both are creased, one quite heavily. - YES
    1970's Schmidt's and Ryan's - all probably in the 5-7 range - NO

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>1979-80 Gretzky rookie - I'd guess it's about a 6 - YES
    1975 Topps Mini Brett - If it's not a 9, it MUST be an 8 - YES
    1975 Topps Mini Yount - same as Brett - YES
    1968 Topps 'game' Mantle and Mays - probably about 5 on each - NO
    1969 Topps Mantle(s) - not sure if it's worth it. Both are creased, one quite heavily. - YES
    1970's Schmidt's and Ryan's - all probably in the 5-7 range - NO >>

I agree with all of the above except the last one. If it's a Schmidt Rookie, YES. Ryan '70 and '71, YES.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Always grade
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I would grade the Gretzky and the Mantles.
    Is the Gretzky a Topps or OPC?
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    I believe it's a topps. I can't remember. I'll check tonight....let me dig for pics on my hard drive here...hang on....
  • Options
    Only picture I have here at work.... (the 1969 B. Robinson has great corners and an autograph)

I also have 12 individually signed 1979 Topps Pittsburgh Pirates cards. Worth grading?

Here are some of the others I was talking about....

I can post close up pics in the next day or two.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would always grade Mantle cards. You will at least get your grading fees back compared to raw, it is a no lose situation.
    Mike
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Always grade the Gretzky rookie.

edit to add: You MUST have the Gretzky graded to sell on eBay (their rules)
  • Options

<< <i>Always grade the Gretzky rookie.

edit to add: You MUST have the Gretzky graded to sell on eBay (their rules) >>

Funny you have to have some cards graded to sell but it's fair game for autographs
  • Options
    Scarlem21Scarlem21 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

I bought a raw OPC Gretzky RC on ebay a few months ago that was legit (I submitted it to PSA and it came back a 7). Is this a new rule?
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I bought a raw OPC Gretzky RC on ebay a few months ago that was legit (I submitted it to PSA and it came back a 7). Is this a new rule? >>

It's been a rule for awhile but many slip by because their either not reported or someone reports them and eBay does nothing even though it's their rule.

• Options
    Ok, so the Brett was a bit more off center then I remember, but both cards are terrific. Have them graded?

Like I said above...these are in rough shape. Worth a grade still?
  • Options
    Regardless of the condition, you have to keep in mind what it costs to have them graded. You need to purchase a PSA membership, pay the shipping there, the grading costs, and the return shipping and insurance. This makes sense if you have a large amount of cards that you want to sell. You get six vouchers for a gold membership (I can't remember if you have to pay the return shipping on that) for $110.

I had a 75 Mini Yount six months back that I thought for sure was a 9. It came back an 8. It always does, especially on your first submission. Be ready for major disappointment.
  • Options
    I would sub the Mantles and the Gretzky rookie

everything else probably not... but the only way most people learn is to buy a membership and learn the hard way - just like we all have.

The Yount does look nice maybe a 7.5 or 8 (can't really tell how nice the corners are) but the Brett has a serrious looking tilt to it - maybe a 6 or so. I'd say both are probably not worth the grading fees and shipping. You'd probably make more just by putting goods scans of both and listing them on ebay (if you want to sell them)
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I stick to my earlier post.

Grade the Mantles and the Gretzky. The others would be a waste of money.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    right on....thanks guys...