Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Meet the newest member of the herd; my first DB$.

Got lucky this weekend - quite exciting really. Buying this was fun! I handled my first Draped Bust about two years ago and have wanted to own one ever since. If coins could talk I imagine that this one would have quite a bit to say. Color is spot-on. NGC graded, anyone care to guess the grade?

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Very nice image

I'll wag in at 35
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coin! I'd say VF-30.

-Paul
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    nice eye appeal. and I like the 15-star variety too.

I'd say VF30
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin! image

Congrats on going for a nice looking Bust!
  • Options
    I wouldn't even pretend to guess a grade on that lovely coin. I will say, as an old friend of mine used to say when he hit a good golf shot, "It's a joy."

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF35 image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice look! VF30.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know the grade but I really like it! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I like it, however ...

I know my eyes aren't what they used to be but, I only count 13 stars.

Am I the only one?
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they count the partial under each end cloud.
  • Options

<< <i>I think they count the partial under each end cloud. >>

Ahh! I just learned something. I was "assuming" (ackkk - I hate doing that!) they were referring to the obverse stars. I didn't look close enough at the reverse.

As they say, "You learn something new every day". Especially, if you hang around here very much!

Thanks!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet example. It's exactly like the one I plan to buy....eventually.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coin!!!! I love all the pre-1800 federal coinage. I just wish it wasn't so darned expensive.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice DB...Congrats... image

ABimage
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Monday July 15, 1799 the Rosetta Stone was found in the Egyptian village of Rosetta, by French Captain Pierre-François Bouchard.

Min VF-30 Nice dollar...even circulation and not beat to death, it had a pleasant experience in our young nation.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>I like it, however ...

I know my eyes aren't what they used to be but, I only count 13 stars.

Am I the only one? >>

The 15 stars are on the reverse, #14 and 15 in the clouds on the top row, from what I'm gathering knowing nothing of the series.

Add: oh... I see others stated that already. OK.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    You guys are good. NGC graded the coin VF-30. The 15 stars threw me when I first looked - I figured that they had misattributed the coin. But, I was wrong.

Reverse stars 14 and 15 are mostly covered by the right- and left-most clouds. It appears that the reverse die originally had 15 stars (not sure why) and the decision was made to limit the stars to 13, So, they enlarged the clouds on the edge get the star count down to 13. I have not done a comparison yet, but I'll bet those clouds are oversized compared to the 13 star variety.

Just located this description on a site called Worthopedia (a coin auction site?). "United States 1$ 1799/8. In the date 1799, the last 9 is punched over previous 8, and definitive as such; the only overdate die of the year. Last 9 of date very close to bust. Stars very close together. Letters of LIBERTY are widely spaced. There are some die flaws at the left base of E, under RT, and above R. The same obverse die was shared to coin BB-141, BB-142, and BB-143. This die was not used to strike 1798 dollars before it was overdated. This obverse die was used to strike BB-141 (1st use), BB-142 (2nd use), and BB-143 (relapped; 3rd use). Paired with this obverse is the unusual 15 stars reverse; this is definitive, although to the uninitiated the two extra stars are not readily seen, at least at first. They are nearly lost in cloud 1 and cloud 8, and just the points show. The result is a blundered arc pattern of stars with five (instead of six) stars in the top row, six (instead of five) in the second row, and the usual one to each side of the eagle`s head, plus the superfluous star points peeking out from the bottoms of clouds 1 and 8. In terms of availability among overdates of this year, 1799/8 BB-141 is the most affordable, edging out BB-142 by a healthy margin. It seems likely that about 700 to 1,200 are known today of this variety. This is to the benefit of collectors of Red Book die varieties since it makes the interesting combination of the overdate obverse and the blundered die 15-star reverse available to all."

Interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! I hope I can find one like that someday too. Thanks also everyone for the education about the stars!

JH
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking coin. Congratulations on a fine purchase.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A forum of higher learning. And how else, except for people sharing ? Thanks.
  • Options
    Thank you for letting us look at your very nice coin.

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. The obv looks a solid 30, the reverse a little less but obv tends to rule the grading roost.

Like the o/d and the blundered star too. Dick Osburn as a couple of this variety imaged on his site.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the image! Beautiful coin and I'd have also been really excited to have bought her.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the look of it.

Can someone tell me what a DB in that shape costs? Would love to own one someday
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Nice, congratulations!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pick-up for sure!image What a beautiful piece, I'm sure not very good at grading these old beauties, but I'll guess XF-40 with nice color, love it.. Wrong again....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exceedingly pleasant coin! I approve.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice $. id say a vf 35 image jmho
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.

She is a beauty. image

Mike

Leave a Comment