Home U.S. Coin Forum

hmm im lost and new...1895 indian head

hi everyone image new to this coin collecting stuff fun so far but im lost on this coin...

1895 indian head penny

measures 19.07 mm
dont have a great scale but my piece counter at work put in around 2.3 grams. with the wear and fact someone took a nice gouge out (dang who does that beautiful coins ruined) of it could be on par with the 3.11g it should be

does not stick to a magnet

not worried what the value is only cost a couple bucks more interested in peoples thoughts on what metal,alterations etc it could have gone through.

another bit, it looks like a nickel, sounds more like a nickel but cant find anywhere of a copper-nickel being stuck outside of 1860-1864

Obverse

Reverse

Comments

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be nickel plated.

However I could be wrong. I had a 1975 cent that I thought was nickel plated so I threw it in the junk box. Later pulled it out with some Mexican coins for the kids to put on the train tracks. Guess what - it wasn't plated. The coin after being run over showed no copper. image
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

• << <i>image

Might be nickel plated.

However I could be wrong. I had a 1975 cent that I thought was nickel plated so I threw it in the junk box. Later pulled it out with some Mexican coins for the kids to put on the train tracks. Guess what - it wasn't plated. The coin after being run over showed no copper. image >>

thought about that made me wonder if someone in the past was curious about that too and thats where the slices came from
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome...and if EagleEye (Rick) did not comment on your IHC nor will I then. Intriguing coin none the less.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • I don't know enough to comment on the IHC but welcome to the Forum.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i> thought about that made me wonder if someone in the past was curious about that too and thats where the slices came from >>

That slice might be a test slice or it was already damaged there then plated.
    Since it already has a slice, I don't see any reason not to give it a little test scrape in that slice to see if it's plated.

Welcome image
    Ed
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard EgaEnt..... The cent does look strange in the picture, likely needs 'in hand' evaluation by an expert. Cheers, RickO
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Contemporary counterfeit, perhaps?

-Paul
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the boards and forum image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file