Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Breast Cancer Awareness

cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone purchased a coin yet with this special insert to support this worthy cause?

I just picked up a couple and plan on getting a few more.
Many happy BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not realize PCGS was doing this promotion. Must look into it. We have a friend that has survived breast cancer twice, and it would make a nice gift. Although she is not a coin collector, she appreciates symbolic gifts. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Don't have any yet.

When does the PCGS prostate cancer movement start? It's certainly more prevalent for the typical member of this forum...I suggest mustard yellow for the label. >>

I don't know if this was an attempt at humor but are not "typical" members of this forum married?

My wife has lost 2 sisters to this horrible disease and my niece is currently in the late stages of it.

I'm very happy PCGS has decided to support this cause.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I know what he meant. Prostate issues are more prevalent than breast issues. Breast Cancer has a bigger movement and more powerful lobby though. Prostate cancer would if someone actually took up the cause, but no one has so far. It's still a tad taboo in our society for men to appear unmasculine and openly discuss health issues. God forbid when a man gets breast cancer. Our society is a long way from allowing men to talk about male breast cancer without stupid remarks and comments.

Sorry for the rant guys. My rant wasn't at anyone here. Just at cancer. My mother has been fighting cancer and a longtime friend just lost his wife to cancer Saturday night at the age of 39.image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Yep. I tell the tellers at the grocery store, "No thank you but I'll contribute to the Prostate Cancer fund if you have one." Most just ignore it and move on.

--Jerry
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much money goes to the American Cancer Society for each insert? I have found direct donations to the charity of your choice to get the help where it needed to be more effective in most cases.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, I'd be willing to crack a few out just to put them in awareness holders.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breast cancer in the US:
    Annual diagnosis: 207,090(F) 1,970 (M) total : 209,060
    Annual deaths: 39,840 (F), 390 (M) total: 40,230

Prostate cancer in the US:
    Annual diagnosis: 186,000
    Annual deaths: 28,600

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of breast cancer new cases and deaths per year is about the same as the number for prostate cancer. In 2010 about 2,000 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer (1% of all cases).

<< <i> God forbid when a man gets breast cancer. Our society is a long way from allowing men to talk about male breast cancer without stupid remarks and comments. >>

This is so true. My PCP found a lump in my breast. I had to have a mamogram, I'll admit, kind of embarrasing for a male, but luckily the lump is 99% probability of being not malignant. I am also lucky that my brother-in-law is a radiologist so I was treated with dignaty and not the usual 'looks' a man gets when waiting to have a mamogram.

Would someone please post an image of the slab. My aunt had breast cancer as did my mother-in-law.

American Cancer Institute Prostate Cancer link.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received a letter from my nephew, Brian. Grown men would cry to read about the death in Haiti that he's dealing with on a continuum.
    Awareness give us the opportunity to act, not to speak.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I think the point being made is, it should be for ALL cancers, not just breast cancer.

Having all the attention on breast cancer leaves a lot of people out, as if their cancer is any less devastating.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't have any yet.

When does the PCGS prostate cancer movement start? It's certainly more prevalent for the typical member of this forum...I suggest mustard yellow for the label. >>

image >>

ill go along with that. ill help and do help with the breast cancer stuff image its all good
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is so true. My PCP found a lump in my breast. I had to have a mamogram, I'll admit, kind of embarrasing for a male, but luckily the lump is 99% probability of being not malignant. I am also lucky that my brother-in-law is a radiologist so I was treated with dignaty and not the usual 'looks' a man gets when waiting to have a mamogram.

>>

Peter Criss, former drummer for KISS, beat Breast Cancer a few years ago and has been the most famous voice thus far for fighting male breast cancer.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

<< <i>Would someone please post an image of the slab >>

PCGS Breast Cancer Awareness Article

imageimage
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    The person pushing all this breast cancer awareness has done one heck of a job getting everything turned pink.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have any yet.

I don't know if this was an attempt at humor but are not "typical" members of this forum married?

My wife has lost 2 sisters to this horrible disease and my niece is currently in the late stages of it.

I'm very happy PCGS has decided to support this cause.

cheezhed, I certainly meant no offense since I am for sure a supporter of the pink ribbon (my mother is a breast cancer survivor and I was happy to be part of a crew at a Susan Komen walk in recent years). I'm also happy that PCGS is supporting the cause. It was however an attempt at humor, too. You know, mustard yellow, prostates, blah blah blah....indeed there could be a whole spectrum of fascinating colors and their corresponding causes that might be considered....
  • Options
    LOL

Okay, got it.

I do agree though all cancers should be supported with research and awareness.

• Options
    Now that we have everything straightened out with this thread, I would really like to purchase several of the PCGS Breast Cancer Awareness
    certified coins as my wife was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 and has had a reoccurence that started in 2008 which she is still fighting. Please send me any information as to how and where I can obtain one or more these coins. Thanks.

Edited to add: All efforts that support any and all cancers should be supported provided that the supported group is reputable. There are so many health issues that impact all of us to wit we grow great passion in supporting. Some are in the limelight and some are not but they all deserve our respect and support in regards to helping eliminate these terrible afficitions.
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that is not noted in this thread re: prostate cancer vs. breast cancer diagnosis and mortality is that the breast cancer mortality is a considerable issue in younger women, and the prostate cancer diagnosis and mortality is primarily in older men (though I have two friends who were diagnosed with prostate cancer in their 40's). I suspect that the prostate cancer mortality rate numbers include people who were diagnosed with prostate cancer and who may have died of other causes.

At any rate, I support any efforts to improve awareness and early detection of breast cancer, and I have mixed feelings about early detection of prostate cancer, especially in older men.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file