Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there much interest in the Lincoln spouse

that goes on sale Thursday?

Thinking I'll get one of each.

Comments

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should promote it using that fantastic commercial for auto insurance or something in which Abe is forced to answer Marys Question do I look fat in this??
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>do I look fat in this? >>

That's what I should have named the thread!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's what I should have named the thread! >>

You could edit the title and get more responses. As for me, I'm in for one of each, probably not this month, but next month (January).
    Paul
  • Options
    You do have to really really pity that poor man. What he dealt with......

All day long....Rebs

All night...a nasty depressed money hungry mean woman.

No wonder every chance he got he would take a long ride alone on horseback
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You do have to really really pity that poor man. What he dealt with......

All day long....Rebs

All night...a nasty depressed money hungry mean woman.

No wonder every chance he got he would take a long ride alone on horseback >>

She was just a beard image
    No way someone marries her to actually ... well, you know.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Nothing but a bullion play in my opinion, I pass.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More in play than usual, but perhaps less play than the last of the liberty coins.

We will see.

(no cries of short struck yet?)
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Probably more than Lincoln had image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably more than Lincoln had image >>

Yes, and it's sad because Mary Lincoln was among the "undeserving" First Ladies who don't deserve to have the honor of a U.S. gold commemorative coin. From a historical perspective, this program reeks. imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    The only one with some merit is Jackie Kennedy. THAT will be the most popular coin in the series, by far, in my opinion. Lets hope they do a good portrait!
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only one with some merit is Jackie Kennedy. THAT will be the most popular coin in the series, by far, in my opinion. Lets hope they do a good portrait! >>

She wasn't much to look at, however, I think Eleanor Roosevelt, had quite a lot of merit. She did a lot for a lot of people.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's what I should have named the thread! >>

nothing like being honest huh lmao
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, yes, Mrs Lincoln, but, apart from that, what did you think of the play?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>She wasn't much to look at, however, I think Eleanor Roosevelt, had quite a lot of merit. She did a lot for a lot of people. >>

Eleanor Roosevelt was an example of woman raised in upper class circumstances (although her childhood was not easy because her father was an alcoholic) who had no idea how capitalism worked or how a business was run. She was an advocate of excess government meddling in the economy that in the end made the Great Depression longer.

On a more personal level she was cruel wife who cut her husband off totally after he had an affair. If you like to read more about this you might check out the late Margaret Truman’s book on the first ladies. Despite their similarities in party affiliation, Margaret Truman was no Eleanor Roosevelt fan.

Jackie Kennedy on the other hand was woman of grace, class and polish. She was a highly intelligent first lady who brought much to the position. She also bore up well in the pressures created by her husband’s serial affairs. Yes, there are some who say that she put up with too much and should have gone public. But that would have wrecked the Kennedy presidency at time when the nation was under considerable stress in dealing with the Soviet Union.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 pounds of Susan B. Anthony vs. a whole ounce of the Lincoln Spouse. image
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    So far:
    Uncirculated 1,870
    Proof 3,635
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>100 pounds of Susan B. Anthony vs. a whole ounce of the Lincoln Spouse. image >>

2,704 troy ounces of "hard money" Jefferson nickels vs. a half ounce of the Lincoln spouse. The nickels ($841 face) have a metal value of $1,058, although it is illegal to melt them at this time.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file