Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which image do you like better? 1921-D Merc

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
Please tell me which set of images you like better and why. (First image replaced by another).

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Bottom shows the color better
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first shows inaccurate color reproduction....I hope. The first photos are not round. The first looks over-sharpened as well. The first shows that the levels are off especially at the tops where there is glare. The first has too much detail lost in the shadows.

Ummm, the second. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I like the first set as they look antique
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm immediately turned off by absurd color. Folks need to learn to adjust white balance, the red from halogen, glare and haze from poor lighting. And to resist excessive contrast, sharpening, and saturation.

Of those two, the second is better. But only the guy holding the coin knows if that pic is true to life.
    Lance.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    The better picture is the one that looks more like the coin in hand. I don't know which one that is.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I find myself imagining what the coin really looks like when I look at either pic-------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Both images were taken with incandescent bulbs, but the second one used Reveal bulbs and is more accurate. The coin has great luster and looks more like the second image (the coin isn't as dark as the images appear). Heritage used a black & white photo in their catalog for this coin.
    This is one of those coins in which many attempts were made and the best I've done so far is the second image shown here, so I am going to use the second coin in my set, and dump the old one.

I guess dumping it from the set removes it completely from the site. I've added another in its place.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second is the better image, but neither is ideal. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file