Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Bobby Cox Manager set thread

After some discussions with PSA last year, we finally got the concept of manager registry sets approved. Shortly thereafter the Bobby Cox basic and master registry sets were set up in September of 2009. I know a few of us exchanged PMs last year and there were several who showed some interest in working on Cox' sets. I wanted to get this thread started so we could discuss cards and also exchange extras as we start getting subs back.

One thing you'll notice is that there aren't really any of his manager cards graded by PSA on ebay. So, if you're going to work on these sets, you'll need to buy raw and sub your own cards to PSA. If there is interest, we could put together group subs later on as well. Lastly, the sets do NOT include cards from Cox' playing years. PSA was pretty clear that the sets would need to be of manager cards only. So don't go buy that '69 Yankees RC because they will not add it to the composite.

-Michael
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    maybe to keep it "square" we should include all players/managers who allegedly beat their wives.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Way to keep it classy, Celeste. Pls don't post here anymore, but feel free to start your own thread on SportsTalk for your rants. The Set Registry Forum is to discuss items and collections of items graded by PSA. Unless Bobby beat up some cards (that are included in the composite), take your allegations elsewhere.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    The mid-80's Jays cards turn up on eBay from time to time but I can't remember the last graded '81 Donruss or Fleer that I saw.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad he finally has an official thread
    With all those other Bobby Cox unofficial threads, it was getting hard to keep up
  • Options
    Each person should only allowed to win the yearly PSA award once. image
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    How will the rarer issues, such as 1 of 5, 1 of 1, or 1 of 15's be handled in the registery?

Is there a production point that PSA says will not be in the registery? For example, only cards produced in quantities greater than 50 will be included in the registery?

By my own count, Bobby has been on more than 150 cards so far and the registery only list 36ish.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options

<< <i>How will the rarer issues, such as 1 of 5, 1 of 1, or 1 of 15's be handled in the registery?

Is there a production point that PSA says will not be in the registery? For example, only cards produced in quantities greater than 50 will be included in the registery?

By my own count, Bobby has been on more than 150 cards so far and the registery only list 36ish. >>

You have to actually own a graded version of a card and have it in your PSA inventory before they will let you add that card to a composite. Since the set is new, that is why they composite is relatively small. Hopefully as more people start the set, the composite will grow.

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    In 2010, A set a playing cards was given away for a home game at Turner Field. Bobby Cox was on all four aces. I wonder if PSA would grade them?

I would love to have those slabbed!

collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    Here is a good article on Bobby

VESTAVIA HILLS, Alabama -- Bobby Cox is retired. But there are some things the old major league manager just couldn't leave behind.

Like the pinch of chewing tobacco behind his lower lip. Like the penchant for calling his longtime team, Atlanta Braves, "we" and not "they."

And his love for the game was evident too, on a visit to the Birmingham area.

Cox, 70, retired after last season with a 2504-2001 record after managing the Braves for 25 years and is now a consultant to the team. The Braves won a record 14 consecutive division championships and the 1995 World Series. He was ejected a major league-record 132 times.

Cox signed autographs Thursday for fans in Vestavia Hills while visiting his sister, who lives in Pelham. Donations were taken at the autograph signing, which was at the grand opening of a Mattress King store, and given to the American Red Cross to help with tornado relief.

"This gives me a great opportunity to do that and raise a few bucks," he said. "I am no longer working, so I can do things like this now. It's very important."

Cox spent spring training with the Braves, and his new role allowed him only two more hours of sleep. He used to wake up at 4:30 a.m. as a manager.

"I was able to get up at 6:30 every morning," he said. "I had fun in spring training. I wanted to stay out of the way as much as possible. They got a new regime in there and I wanted to make sure I was on the outside.

"You can't just quit something completely after you've been in it 52 years. I get my little bite of baseball when I can talk to (manager Fredi Gonzalez). I miss it, but I don't know if you miss managing. You miss the game."

Retiring has allowed him to take his first cruise with his wife, Pamela, and the two have gone to Mexico and throughout California. They can only travel when Cox is away from his chair in front of television during Braves games or from driving to Turner Field to watch.

"It's hard because you're pulling so hard for them," he said. "It's almost easier being in a dugout. I have to get up and leave once in a while and come back."

The Braves replaced Cox with Gonzalez, the third base coach for the Braves from 2003-06 under Cox. But his retirement has kept him busy. He travels to different Braves minor league affiliates and provides input on players when asked.

"I try not to have a schedule," Cox said. "It hasn't worked out that way yet. It's been very busy. I'm happy how it transpired. I'm having a lot of fun."

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    Wish I'd known this was going on. I'd have driven over to see him for sure...

• Options
    The Holy Grail of Bobby cards is up for auction on Ebay. 91 Topps Desert Shield PSA 10, currently 299.99 with two days left. Has 1 bid.

Is that your bid Mcadams?
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Can I sign up for the who doesn't care about The Official Bobby Cox Manager set thread?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set may rival the 1982 OPC set in terms of generating sheer set registry madness..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>This set may rival the 1982 OPC set in terms of generating sheer set registry madness.. >>

i was about to write a crafty comeback but i cant for the life of me remember the name of the mets manager........or any of their other players either.

• Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    No need for a comeback mcadams. Some have a number of threads in many of the forums that nobody cares about! Thanks for the thread!

Edited to add: I am certain Bobby is proud tonight after a 5-2 west coast trip against the Diamondbacks and the Dodgers who had not lost at home this year and lost two to the Braves!
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    This was payback because I assaulted the Mets thread a few weeks ago.

• Options

<< <i>The Holy Grail of Bobby cards is up for auction on Ebay. 91 Topps Desert Shield PSA 10, currently 299.99 with two days left. Has 1 bid.

Is that your bid Mcadams? >>

Not me Joey. I got a note from the seller before he put it on Ebay, but I'm not about to pay $300 for it. Nice card, but there are 5 of them. Should be $100-$150.

• Options
    I've spent the last year and a half searching ebay for some of the rarer Bobby Cox manager cards.

In my opinion, the #1 toughest to find will be the 2006 Allen & Ginter No Number Variation. There were 25 made. However, 2006 was the first year that Topps brought A&G back and many collectors were not aware of all of the variations, and were not trained to search backs for the NNOs. For that reason, many NNOs are sitting in unsearched boxes and will likely never see the market. Later years NNO are easier, but not the '06s. Over 18 months, I saw 1 on Ebay and bought it. Its very rough. Through word of mouth, I was also able to come across a 2nd copy from a fellow CU collector, which was a high-grade example.

The next toughtest to find IMO will be the Topps Employee edition from 2001. Not sure the production run here, but there aren't many. I only have 1 and its not a high-grade example. Still looking for a copy to include in the registry.

The other tough cards are the refractors from early 00's. Cox has a few gold and black refractors from this era that don't show up much, especially the black.

• Options
    Got a sweet Topps 205 Drum back last week. That was another of the "toughies". Still looking for an Allen & Ginter Bazooka back from 2006.

-Michael
  • Options
    I recently subbed about 25 of the tougher Bobby Cox cards and have added 10 new ones to the master set composite. Below are pictures of two of my favorites- I subbed 2 of the '81 Police and got lucky on 1 of them, I guess. Those were the first 2 Cox cards from the Police set subbed to PSA. All of the Police sets originally were distributed in cello, so you'd think the corners would be tough to find in good shape. The other card below is a 2006 Triple Threads with Andruw, Chipper, and Bobby. I looked for this card for a Loooong time before finding 1. I'd have bought a raw copy in any condition, and was pretty happy this came back an 8 because I'll probably never see another one.

[image[/URL]

• Options
    [image[/URL]