Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has anyone ever lost cards thru USPS, and they went thru COPPELL, TX?? UPDATE - CARD ARRIVED!

...please reply here....I am trying to get a handle on exactly how big their "card snatching" operation is.....

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I posted in the other thread. All my stuff goes through Coppell - no issues to date.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Well, myself, itzagoner, and Leon from Net 54 have all lost packages from that facility....the total from just us 3 is over $5,000......
  • Options

<< <i>Well, myself, itzagoner, and Leon from Net 54 have all lost packages from that facility....the total from just us 3 is over $5,000...... >>

Geez, that's more than enough right there to put all my shipping to shame.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    sounds like you should keep digging...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Have they all been packages from Heritage?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    allow me to clarify that i have lost a package in Coppell which i sent to a customer in a nearby town.....it was not, however, one of high value like i have been made aware by Bobby what has happened to him and apparently Leon as well.

i am just a pauper in this parlay, but it appears further action needs to be taken.
  • Options

<< <i>Have they all been packages from Heritage? >>

No....they have not all been from Heritage, but I am wondering...how can they tell what is in the packages?? They obviously know to look for HERITAGE packages, but what about the others? I am assuming they X-Ray stuff, the same as airports do??
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    It never ceases to amaze me that people will use return addresses like "Jim's Baseball Cards"
    It seems to scream out "steal me"

I had a run of packages that went missing, I called the postal inspector and while they never showed up, I never had the problem again.
    Hope it turns up Bobby.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I've called the postal inspector....got passed onto someone higher....they are only open from 11-3 however...
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It never ceases to amaze me that people will use return addresses like "Jim's Baseball Cards"
    It seems to scream out "steal me"

I had a run of packages that went missing, I called the postal inspector and while they never showed up, I never had the problem again.
    Hope it turns up Bobby. >>

This is one reason I have never put the player's name on the return envelope with my TTMs.

Recently I had a priority mail package go missing (NOT through Coppell, TX) which was never scanned.

A reminder to ALWAYS have the post person scan your item to show they have it. If a high dollar item PURCHASE insurance in case it goes missing.

• Options
    I WANT.....A KEG.....OF BEER
  • Options
    well...go buy one....
  • Options

<< <i>well...go buy one.... >>

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Lets see....A Postal employee in Cali near the "PSA Compound" and the package says Super Express with just a delivery confirmation tag on it. The package is addressed to PSA. If I were the USPS I would do things like that and then monitor that package specifically to see who has itchy fingers.
  • Options
    it's a nice thought Mickey, but consider who we're dealing with.....you want them to be efficient and willing to conduct their own research into the possibility of foul play within their ranks.

then they will send Wile E. Coyote in to be the front man for the investigation.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets see....A Postal employee in Cali near the "PSA Compound" and the package says Super Express with just a delivery confirmation tag on it. The package is addressed to PSA. If I were the USPS I would do things like that and then monitor that package specifically to see who has itchy fingers. >>

The USPS will do an investigation if enough people complain or if they suffer an insurance loss. I didn't read the other thread about this loss, were the packages insured?
    Mike
  • Options
    They did not have USPS insurance. My particular package was "insured" by Heritage (apparently they have some sort of in house insurance). Itzagoners and Leon's were NOT insured....
  • Options

<< <i>They did not have USPS insurance. My particular package was "insured" by Heritage (apparently they have some sort of in house insurance). Itzagoners and Leon's were NOT insured.... >>

That's the problem with "self" insurance, they don't mean anything to the USPS. I am surprised an auction house like Heritage would want the risk of insurance themselves. Whatever money they make wouldn't be worth the risk of a high dollar item getting lost......unless they never plan to pay.

I recently had an issue with a $200 card showing delivered in the USPS system, but I never got it. I was SOL since it showed delivered on USPS. I stopped by the Post Office and talked to our mailman. Zero help.

About 45 days later it showed up.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>
    I recently had an issue with a $200 card showing delivered in the USPS system, but I never got it. I was SOL since it showed delivered on USPS. I stopped by the Post Office and talked to our mailman. Zero help. >>

I recently had a shipment show up as "return to sender / wrong address" on the delivery confirmation.... when I called the Post Office they said the wrong mail carrier had the package and didn't want to courier it to the correct address and that he had gotten in trouble...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I recently had an issue with a $200 card showing delivered in the USPS system, but I never got it. I was SOL since it showed delivered on USPS. I stopped by the Post Office and talked to our mailman. Zero help. >>

I recently had a shipment show up as "return to sender / wrong address" on the delivery confirmation.... when I called the Post Office they said the wrong mail carrier had the package and didn't want to courier it to the correct address and that he had gotten in trouble... >>

I'm hoping that is what happened to these guys cards. Lazy mailman = long wait. An organized theft ring within the Post Office is a scary thought.
    Mike
  • Options
    I've had mail lost via USPS, UPS and FedEx before. Stuff happens, but I doubt it being a ring of thieves.
    Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION
  • Options
    I don't doubt anything. I know right here in NC, a bunch of UPS workers got fired (I wanna say this happened around 4 years ago). Seems they were stealing valuable packages that had diamonds in them. Some people complained, they ended up setting up a sting, and caught them......

Edited cause I found the link....

UPS Thieves
  • Options
    For people who think "no way to a theft ring"....How many uninsured packages get stolen as compared to insured ones. There are people who look for all the money signs "guaranteed". Bubble wrap envelope to PSA with express written on it with no insurance////I think I'll take that one says the smart crook. Insured or registered///I think I'll leave that one alone says the smart crook.
  • Options
    When I lived in MI, there were organized thieves at the Post Office stealing birthday cards from Grandma (or greeting card envelopes). Typically these cards had cash, nowadays probably untraceable gift cards.
    Mike
  • Options
    my P.O. clerks know exactly what i do, even though my biz name doesn't appear on any package nor any indication of what's inside....one thing i make certain of, each package gets scanned at the point of origination, and i've never lost one coming out of my local facility.

once it's out of their hands, i am at the mercy of whatever assumptions might be made by workers at other facilities, based on the patterns they notice and all it really takes is a quick squeeze to know that a rectangular piece of plastic might exist beneath the bubble wrap.

Coppell, TX is the most prominent facility currently under suspicion.

they are not, however, alone.
  • Options
    This is the USPS we are speaking of. A few years ago I had my W-2 form mailed out from Greensboro, NC to my house IN Greensboro, NC. It had a Greensboro postmark on it for January 9th. Then it got a Dallas, TX postmark for the 16th. Then a Clyde, Arkansas postmark on it for the 22nd, before finally arriving at my house on the 25th. I live two miles from where the W-2 was mailed. This is the same USPS that has left numerous items on my doorstep in the rain (not just here, but in other places I have lived as well), delivered several items in plastic baggies that used to be mail, and has lost several things that I mailed out to buyers myself. While they may have a theft ring possibly, they have an incompetance ring, assuredly... and it is nationwide!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

Wasn't there an USPS employee that got busted in or around Chicago a few years ago? Stole packages and sold them on ebay. I think most of it was sports memorabilia and cards.
  • Options
    I haven't heard that one, but it doesn't surprise me. In this economy, I guess anything is possible (especially when the perp thinks he/she can get away with it!).....
  • Options
    Here is a story about a postal employee taking items from the mail.

Ex-postal employee sentenced

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    OUCH!! A cracker Jack Matty sold for over $1,100 and insured for only $655.........at least he got half of his money back......uggg.....

Stolen Cracker Jack Matty from USPS worker
    imageimage
  • Options
    I told the Postal Inspector, that if they wanted to pay me $100,000 a year, I would LOVE to go down and solve their cases for them. All they have to do is see who scanned my package, Goner's package, and Leon's package.....chances are there is a common denominator in all 3 instances!
  • Options
    Interesting story about the Cracker Jack...I am surprised noone has mentioned that one before...did it ever turn back up?
  • Options
    The cracker jack guy looks like a serial killer.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    speaking of USPS employees, where the heck has jimq112 been? - he's one of the most helpful guys this site has ever seen. Hope he's ok.

edited to add his profile pic (in case anyone needed their memory jogged)
  • Options
    I haven't seen him in awhile...he was always kind to me with good information....I hope he is well...
  • Options
    speaking of lost members, haven't seen Steve (WinPitcher) either.
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Back around 1988 a bunch of GI's were caught stealing packages containing Christmas presents at Patton Barracks in Germany near where I was stationed. It can happen anywhere.
  • Options
    Fraud bump.
  • Options
    If anyone is sending a valuable package right now, insurance is a MUST!!
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone is sending a valuable package right now, insurance is a MUST!! >>

Yep, I sweated bullets on my 82 card sub this week until the DC logs showed arrival in Newport Beach. It spent almost 2 days with the last status being arrival in Coppell.image
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    Well....half of me wanted to help bust some big card snatching ring....alas, that was not the case...this arrived today, two weeks late (Priority Mail shipment, due on Nov 20th)....

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!!!

Man that is a nice looking card!
  • Options
    Good job. Nice card.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I've "lost" a card going through this facility recently. Headed across town to Weatherford, TX. Sent via DC. Went through Coppell and now shows as being in Fort Worth, without being delivered.

Ugh. I'm sure this will be an ordeal to deal with.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I live right down the road from Coppell, TX if you guys ever have any packages that get stranded there. I'd be happy to help out a fellow board member.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    I've only "lost" two eBay shipments in about 500 transactions...and both were in the Baltimore, Maryland sort facility. Not sure if anyone else has experienced issues with this one.
  • Options
    my latest debacle guys fumin on a ten dollar trans.....its stuck in time

Processed through Sort Facility, 2011-05-18, 02:41:00, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 19176
    Processed through Sort Facility, 2011-05-17, 22:06:00, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 19176
    Processed through Sort Facility, 2011-05-14, 17:13:00, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 19176
    Processed through Sort Facility, 2011-05-13, 01:10:00, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 19176
    Processed through Sort Facility, 2011-05-12, 18:06:00, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 19176

whats up with that if anyone can help
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've only "lost" two eBay shipments in about 500 transactions...and both were in the Baltimore, Maryland sort facility. Not sure if anyone else has experienced issues with this one. >>

I live in Baltimore and yes , Baltimore is one of the worst in the country as far as verified theft is concerned. My brother-in-law works there and I hear story after story about the krap that goes on.

When I used to sell on Ebay I learned FAST that it was in my best interest to mail out of town. I had a service route that took me to a town that was 90 miles away , twice a week. When I started doing that , not one package was ever lost.

On the receiving end , I normally ask and will pay for D/C and insurance. I'm not a big wheel or nothing , but was tired of about every 17th package turning up missing. A couple of years back I had a large registered package with about $65 of postage showing. Someone signed for it at 6:30 that morning. I waited until my mail person showed up . He knew nothing, had nothing. I went to the post office , was told they didn't have time to investagate. I show them the signed evidence from my printer. They told me to come back tommorrow. I was not leaving without my package. They were going to call the police. I told them to PLEASE call the police as it would speed the process up.

20 minutes later they found my package , upstairs on top of a cabinet , covered with a blanket.

Now I have a "friend" at that office that I inform of incoming D/C's. Only a few have turned up missing in the last year.

Good luck with the Baltimore PO.----- sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell