Home Precious Metals

Smithsonian Museum Collection, Washington DC - (lots of pictures)

Yesterday I went to Washington and took the chance to visit the Smithsonian Museum of American History.
Of course, my main target was the Coin collection. It is truly amazing.
I thought it was worth it sharing it with you. Hope you like it.
Sorry for the big pictures and for the poor quality of some of them.
MM

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Great post and pics.
    I've wanted to see them for myself for many years.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    I thought these coins were housed in NGC holders? I find it odd that they are being held by metal prongs.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    thanks so much for taking the time to post!! and the history lesson. that 1828 $5 gold proof is amazing!

were you able to go to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, too?
    it's not as fun as seeing all the coins but watching pallets of money being moved around is different.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought these coins were housed in NGC holders? I find it odd that they are being held by metal prongs. >>

Why would you find it odd? Other than fking things up which they excell at, name one thing that government does right.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    the coins need to be in a holder, not metal prongs!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭
    I think they are just copies and the real ones are in a high secure area in slabs. image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    The gold simply awesome eye appeal!image Thanks for the show~Matteoimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.

• << <i>I thought these coins were housed in NGC holders? I find it odd that they are being held by metal prongs. >>

I enjoyed more in their prongs that in some slabs! JMO

• << <i>I think they are just copies and the real ones are in a high secure area in slabs. image >>

Copies courtesy of China, no doubt. They had better check the authenticity... the government does need the money, you know.

Lovely designs. Classic!