Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2010 Proof Silver Eagles from US Mint

Received my 25 Proofs from the US Mint, haver to rerturn 12 of them because of nicks, thats 48%, not bad for QUALITY CONTROL! Guess what! I'm not buying anymore!!!

Comments

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the sound of things, the older mint staff retired and a bunch of newbees are running loose insideimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Not a single one of my 25 coin order are worth calling perfect. I am hoping

that 5 of them may certify PR69DC, and that might be difficult!

Oh well... image
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the return policy was "all or nothing"?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought the return policy was "all or nothing"? >>

Only requirement is that "entire product" (each coin set) be intact. In this case, the coin, capsule, box and coa. In the case of a multicoin set all coins in the single set have to be returned. Return form shows "quantity shipped" to buyer and has a fill in the blank line item for "quantity returned."

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

i returned 80 out of 100. 50 in one box and 30 in the second...expensive but i hope it pays off in grading the 20 i mailed yesterday.
  • Options
    Haven't gotten mine yet but I collect the uncirc's as MS69 but collect the proofs in the original mint packaging. The fact that the coins may not be flawless bothers me not. It does bother me that people complain about the mint filling orders and then you find people ordering large quantities and then returning a bunch of them. That's got to choke the system somewhat.

I thought the mint instituted a tougher return policy this year.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Haven't gotten mine yet but I collect the uncirc's as MS69 but collect the proofs in the original mint packaging. The fact that the coins may not be flawless bothers me not. It does bother me that people complain about the mint filling orders and then you find people ordering large quantities and then returning a bunch of them. That's got to choke the system somewhat.

I thought the mint instituted a tougher return policy this year.

John >>

A buyer of 100 is no less entitled to quality coins than a buyer of one. Quantity should have no bearing on expectation of quality.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

i returned 80 out of 100. 50 in one box and 30 in the second...expensive but i hope it pays off in grading the 20 i mailed yesterday. >>

You might just get a call from the US Mint asking why you returned so many.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

i returned 80 out of 100. 50 in one box and 30 in the second...expensive but i hope it pays off in grading the 20 i mailed yesterday. >>

You might just get a call from the US Mint asking why you returned so many. >>

Proof is a method of manufacture; not an assurance of quality. Since proof coins are not intended for circulation; the expectations for quality are high and rightly so. There is really no excuse for producing these proof coins at less than PR69.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I hope so but I doubt it with so many being returned.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    There is really no excuse for producing these proof coins at less than PR69.

No mint, public or private, is associated with any "grading service" or their "standards."

US Mint has a generous 7-day return privilege. Seems sufficient for anyone collecting the medal-coins.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

you will be the second to know

there was not a place to mark "quality of product". i guess if i returned 99...98...97 hopefully the "we won't call him amount is 80" is in play for me.image
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    there was not a place to mark "quality of product".

...there was aplace to mark "Unacceptable quality" ..... close enuff to "quality of product" for me....
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is really no excuse for producing these proof coins at less than PR69.

No mint, public or private, is associated with any "grading service" or their "standards."

US Mint has a generous 7-day return privilege. Seems sufficient for anyone collecting the medal-coins. >>

I never implied that there was. Nicks, gouges, scratches, etc. are not acceptable IMO on proof coins not intended for commerce. I suppose they send them out hoping that the average purchaser doesn't care. Actually if 95+% of the proof ASEs grade PR69 at NGC and/or PCGS the mint is producing coins of PR69 quality whether they want to claim it or not. I wonder what their standards or guidelines for quality really are for these coins. I think their policy is "if it came from here it's good enough".
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I ordered ours early so I won't get the returns image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

My next 2 orders of ten each should be here this week. I hope I am able to keep these coins. I am glad I spread them out like that.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    They would also send out more coins at lesser quality if they had fewer planchets---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They would also send out more coins at lesser quality if they had fewer planchets---------------------BigE >>

I don't follow you on that one.
    bumanchu
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Oh well... image >>

OTOH, I put every one of mine under a 20x loupe and I'm very confident I have all 70's. They'll be submitted this week. I was marveling at how great the Mint got the job done right this time.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we have fewer planchets.

that means we can send out more coins?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Let me re-state: The Mint may not have enough coins to be able to afford the luxury of melting coins that would normally be classified as sub-standard---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    So we have a consensus:

I put every one of mine under a 20x loupe and I'm very confident I have all 70's.

and

i returned 80 out of 100.

and

Not a single one of my 25 coin order are worth calling perfect

and

Received my 25 Proofs from the US Mint, haver to rerturn 12 of them because of nicks

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even modern crap has variations. The machines wear, the plancet quality could vary, the polishing technique or effort can vary and numerous other human factors can all conspire to doom a potential PR70 or even 69. In this case the rush job may be the culprit for more imperfections than usual.

Perhaps not everyone has as much heart in it at the mint as those folks who cranked out SF Morgans from 1879 to 1882.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None received yet, however, I do not intend to examine mine under 20X.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

Oh well... image >>

OTOH, I put every one of mine under a 20x loupe and I'm very confident I have all 70's. They'll be submitted this week. I was marveling at how great the Mint got the job done right this time. >>

You are not able to see very well or are the luckiest person in the United States of America.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>None received yet, however, I do not intend to examine mine under 20X.....Cheers, RickO >>

Ditto. This obsession with perfection seems a little pointless after a grade of 69, though it evidently is very profitable. But here's a thought: what's the satisfaction in having a coin that looks absolutely identical to millions of others? I like a little flaw here and there to help me recognize the unique nature of what I have.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>None received yet, however, I do not intend to examine mine under 20X.....Cheers, RickO >>

Ditto. This obsession with perfection seems a little pointless after a grade of 69, though it evidently is very profitable. But here's a thought: what's the satisfaction in having a coin that looks absolutely identical to millions of others? I like a little flaw here and there to help me recognize the unique nature of what I have. >>

If the Mint put out all W's there would be little need for TPG's (at least for moderns). It would also kill prices on anything with an average mintage. The folks complaining about the lack of perfect coins to flip would be out of business. Of course the coins should look nice in hand. To each their own.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ditto. This obsession with perfection seems a little pointless after a grade of 69, though it evidently is very profitable. But here's a thought: what's the satisfaction in having a coin that looks absolutely identical to millions of others? I like a little flaw here and there to help me recognize the unique nature of what I have. >>

If the Mint put out all W's there would be little need for Tog's (at least for moderns). It would also kill prices on anything with an average mintage. The folks complaining about the lack of perfect coins to flip would be out of business. Of course the coins should look nice in hand. To each their own. >>

It's the pure flippers, the ones who try to make money right away on flipping, that are the ones that have the biggest issues in times like this.
    I, personally, don't like flawed coins, but those are flaws to the naked eye and ones that are super noticeable. I don't have a problem with small issues. Spotting, I can see, is an issue. Large scratches, machine marks, etc, would be a problem. Other, smaller, things....not so much.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    6 for 6 again.

69s

ho hum.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so you buy these coins, and if they are not MS70's (worth some multiple of what you paid for them) you send them back?

Is this thing on?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, so you buy these coins, and if they are not MS70's (worth some multiple of what you paid for them) you send them back?

Is this thing on? >>

No. I keep them. I have an entire collection of PR69DCams

(no 70s yet)

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I received my order of ASE Proofs today.
    One of the two I ordered had a chunk taken
    out of the plastic capsule at the edge.

I'm glad I read this Thread because I thought
    I had to return both coins. I'm not nearly as
    fussy as some of you guys. I keep the ASE's
    in their capsules and have them in an Eagle
    Album.

Returning 80 out of 100 does seem like
    you're taking advantage of a situation.
    I'm surprised they don't cut you off from
    future orders.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I received my order of ASE Proofs today.
    One of the two I ordered had a chunk taken
    out of the plastic capsule at the edge.

I'm glad I read this Thread because I thought
    I had to return both coins. I'm not nearly as
    fussy as some of you guys. I keep the ASE's
    in their capsules and have them in an Eagle
    Album.

Returning 80 out of 100 does seem like
    you're taking advantage of a situation.
    I'm surprised they don't cut you off from
    future orders. >>

If they start sending out the coins like I sent back to them because they have run out of new one's you will see nothing but garbage from that point on.

I was told that they destroy returns but I don't believe them.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine would certainly merit 70's if I were to send them for grading - which I will not. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    and where do they go when there returned?.. back on the shelf?..into the next order? and are you sure ?
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file