Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees offer Jeter $46m for 3

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
Which comes to a bit more than $94k per game for 486 games. Not too shabby for playing baseball for about 6 months.

Like I said earlier, Jeter is going NOWHERE but Yankee stadium. Thirty six years old or not, he can still play, the fans love him and he is a draw at the box office.

Comments

• Options
    They offered that a while ago. Reports have since said that he wants at least 4 years for at least $20 mill per year. We'll see if he gets it.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    mental
  • Options
    for his declining skill set he worth 1/3 of what they are offering.
  • Options
    Whoever's pockets permit....

I'd like to play a few games for him image
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    An argument can be made that his skills are declining somewhat. Salaries don't always correspond to that, especially with long established fan favorites. He is a ticket draw, so that is also considered, not strictly playing skills. A lot of star veterans make more $$ later in their careers than in the beginning. However, if they hang around too much, then they may offer a much lower salary with limited playing time--but then those players cannot do it full time anyway.

Jeter can still play full time. If his injuries and pains are under good control, he can still bring in the numbers he usually does. His skills are there, its more about the body staying healtly. When you approach your late thirties, it takes longer to warm up and recover from minor injuries. Those minor injuries won't put you on the DL, but it makes playing uncomfortable and would eventually warrant a day off for rest.

Its wonderful that we will soon have another member of the 3000 hits club. He has an outside shot at 4000 hits. Since he is planning to play another 4 years, he can conceivably reach over 3500 hits. Then we have to see if a 40 year old Jeter can play a few more years....
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    I love how his gestures and gyrations at the plate get more extreme as he ages.

You've gotta love it when he jack-knives his body out of the way of a steamer right down the pipe.

Keep him, Yankees! PLEASE!
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>An argument can be made that his skills are declining somewhat. Salaries don't always correspond to that, especially with long established fan favorites. He is a ticket draw, so that is also considered, not strictly playing skills. A lot of star veterans make more $$ later in their careers than in the beginning. However, if they hang around too much, then they may offer a much lower salary with limited playing time--but then those players cannot do it full time anyway.

Jeter can still play full time. If his injuries and pains are under good control, he can still bring in the numbers he usually does. His skills are there, its more about the body staying healtly. When you approach your late thirties, it takes longer to warm up and recover from minor injuries. Those minor injuries won't put you on the DL, but it makes playing uncomfortable and would eventually warrant a day off for rest.

Its wonderful that we will soon have another member of the 3000 hits club. He has an outside shot at 4000 hits. Since he is planning to play another 4 years, he can conceivably reach over 3500 hits. Then we have to see if a 40 year old Jeter can play a few more years.... >>

Well, we know he won't lose any range as he ages through this deal, since he has so little to begin with.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>You've gotta love it when he jack-knives his body out of the way of a steamer right down the pipe. >>

best post ever
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You've gotta love it when he jack-knives his body out of the way of a steamer right down the pipe. >>

best post ever >>

I'm more a fan of the "ow, ow, that hurt, holy crap, my hand is killing me" dance that accompanies NOT getting hit by a pitch.

Tabe
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    As a Yankee and Jeter HATER, I say he's worth every penny to the Yankees organization. He's means much more to the franchise than simple stats. If the Yankees can't come to a contract agreement with Jeter, and he ends up playing for another team, it would be a travesty to the Yankees and the sport that I love.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    The Yankees made a reasonable offer to Jeter and you can't punish them for not providing a 4/5 yeat deal in the
    20+ million range. The sticking point is Arod's contract of a few years ago where the Yankees clearly made a
    huge mistake.

I am a Jeter fan, and he is free to test the market and find offers that are far less than 46M for 3.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Texas paying for a portion of the Arod deal?
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't Texas paying for a portion of the Arod deal? >>

Not any more. When he tore up his deal a couple of years back and resigned with the Yankees, the Rangers were off the hook except for deferred money owed.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    where is the love for someone who just won a gold glove?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>where is the love for someone who just won a gold glove? >>

Pretty much everyone recognizes that that Gold Glove was a joke - he had a horrible year defensively as his range is pretty much shot. He about 200 fewer chances in the field than the league leaders - a pretty huge number considering he had about 550 total chances.

Tabe
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Saying Jeter has an outside shot of getting 4,000 hits is like saying McGwire has an outside shot of getting in the HOF on the next vote.
  • Options
    any contract over 3 years is a joke, any contract paying him 8 figures is also a joke. That gold glove and ANY gold glove Jeter has ever one, also a joke.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>Saying Jeter has an outside shot of getting 4,000 hits is like saying McGwire has an outside shot of getting in the HOF on the next vote. >>

Spoken like a true DB
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Isn't Texas paying for a portion of the Arod deal? >>

Not any more. When he tore up his deal a couple of years back and resigned with the Yankees, the Rangers were off the hook except for deferred money owed. >>

To clarify, I'm 90% sure he got all his deferred money paid up as part of the Rangers' bankruptcy.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------