Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Egyptian Gold and Thanksgiving

A bit off topic for me, but I came across these pieces recently when rummaging through my SDB. They were purchased by my dad when the family lived in Egypt. They were there during the time that Anwar Sadat made peace with Israel. Shortly afterward, an Israeli embassy (rather makeshift but quite heaily fortified) was set up in Maadi, a suburb of Cairo populated by a lot of expatriates including those associated with the oil business at the time.

I was fortunate to visit the country four Christmases in a row (I was in college). What struck me, besides the usual tourist attractions, was (1) the abject poverty of the country, (2) the gentleness of its people and (3) the crazy traffic - it has to be seen to be believed. To elaborate a bit on points #1 and #2: my family, including some extended members, were invited to the home of a local Cairo family. It was a single room the size of a typical living room, but it was also the bedroom and kitchen. The floor had already capsized once due to the vibrations from the nearby train, and you could see evidence of the repair work. In spite of all of this, the home was immaculately clean. I have never felt so welcomed in any home at any time. The woman who ran the household was IMO a saint, given all she had to put up with (I would elaborate, but haven't enough time to write the whole story). Her son was a delightful, intelligent young man who I am sure was able to make a better life later on. It was very humbling and I will never forget this lady - she was family to my family. It was that visit that made me realize how fortunate we are in the United States and that I should be very thankful for where I live, and I am.

Happy Thanksgiving, board members.

imageimage
1400th anniversary of the Flight of Mohammed

imageimage
Sadat makes peace with Israel.
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great background. Saadat was a couragious man unfortunately killed by the Muslim Brotherhood upon making a deal with Israel.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I spent a few months there in 81-82 right after he was assasinated. An amazing country, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Giza (since has changed hands) and looked out on the pyramids having breakfast every morning.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the history od those coins....happy thanksgiving.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story and images- even more important, it gives us something to think about and to be thankful

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have these in silver.

You can even tell the traffic is crazy from satellite pictures. It's not that the traffic
    appears so chaotic with several cars in an intersection going various directions but
    even the roads are laid out in patterns that are difficult to comprehend. I keep mean-
    ing to ask someone about how they drive over there.

I've long suspected that Egypt is so vulnerable because of the Aswan Dam that they
    feel a need to be at peace with any neighbor who can take it out. The country has
    a lot going for it and the whole region could do a great deal better if they can get
    control over their populations and find peace.

After so many millinea of fighting the people deserve some peace.

I wish them great luck.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    We definitely have a lot to be thankful for here in America, going overseas can really put that in context. Great story, thanks for sharing image

On the violence and the Ikhwan Zohar mentioned, Ayman al Zawahiri actually grew up in the Maadi district and a lot of the conspirators in Sadat's assassination were active there. He was probably only a few blocks away with his medical practice when you were there. But then again, it is the nice neighborhood - Omar Sharif and Jordan's King Hussein went to the prep school there.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've posted this picture of king Farouk's summer palace before. It's right
    in the middle of the picture;

Pyramid.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    beautiful gold coins!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.